Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Well done. You played some good football and your semi final performance was one of the nicest bits of football I have seen from an Irish team, I would love to see what you would look like in a nice packed stadium.

You showed glimpses of your ability today but conditions made it hard. Cretaro going off was a major turning point imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Great match, good crowd although I've never seen so many junior football teams and youth projects in one stand. Poxy weather though, fecking freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My ears are ringing and my head is hopping. Great craic in Gibney's in Malahide. What a way to celebrate the cup win.

What a day out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Posted like a true zealot, go post somewhere else please.

Well done fingal.

From the very first match, in which I drove to I have only missed four home games (due to civic functions) I am incredibly proud of the fingal lads who showed incredible maturity from such a young side.

Like many others, I am very proud of their achievement tonight.

Great craic in Gibneys including several minutes with Robbie Doyle on lead guitar and Chris Knopka on harmonica, I kid you not! All to be posted on Youtube shortly! (under sporting Fingal FAI ford Cup Final)

While a little lucky on the final result, Fingal deserved their day in the limelight and despite being mistaken for the Sligo left back, I really enjoyed the experience. Well done lads and good luck to Conan who flies off to Africa in the morning!

Proud of you lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

What a great night. Quite p*ssed right now but loving it. Would have loved to have been in Gibneys. Sound like it was a good one. We had a great laugh in Rush ourselves. Fair play to the Michael Collins pub in rush for embrassing the fingal.
    What a great season this turned out to be. onwards and upwards lads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Well done Sporting Fingal!

Thanks to everyone (well almost ;)) - SF fans & "others" - who contribute to this thread.

HB

What a night. I still have to go through my picts.

I see there is a civic reception for the team, Wed night, 7:30pm in Swords, with an open top bus ... in case anyone is interested.

A Homecoming Celebration for the Sporting Fingal team is provisionally booked for 7.30pm on Wednesday in Swords Main Street, stopping at County Hall. We are hoping to have the open-top bus etc. Lots to organise.

More info to follow.

Posted like a true zealot, go post somewhere else please.

Go on...

This article had something to do with Sporting Fingal FC, and this being the Sporting Fingal FC thread I presumed it would be a good idea to link it here.:rolleyes:

Ah Gavin, come on. Nothing new there. The original proposal for the setting up of the club was back in 2006. It has basically the same information as you posted and is a matter of public record.

Time to move on.

Just now starting to look through my picts from last night. Some (post-game) will have to be censored. :D Brilliant result and a great night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Go on...

This article had something to do with Sporting Fingal FC, and this being the Sporting Fingal FC thread I presumed it would be a good idea to link it here.:rolleyes:

It's not a good idea to troll though. Leave it. HB

A small selection of picts here.

I'll have to spend some time this evening properly going through them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

to all on the boards i posted a statement that at the time i thought was amusing but on reflection was idiotic. to all those that read it i apologise. to Gavin Shels you were right in the way you took apart my stupid attempts at humour. i would just like to say thanks to paul, whose pictures have captured our club in more ways than words ever could. cheers i have looked at them all.
    thanks again for a season of controversy and good reviews on boards.ie
    to you all fingal is begining to build a support, small as it is but so were the other clubs of the twenties thirties and so on, change is enevitable though hard to swallow, it is the league of ireland, not the league of the few. allow us to grow, we will not dissapoint...

Paulw wrote: »
    A small selection of picts here.

I'll have to spend some time this evening properly going through them all.

Cheers Paul as always great pics. Just like to say thanks for posting the pics up throughout the season. They have added a little colour to what has been sometimes a volatile little thread.
    I do think the thread is coming along nicely now and there seems to be a few of us posting now to keep it going.
    So again, Cheers Paul for playing your part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Andy(mike)Lowry

It is scary reading over the start of this thread not even two years old to see our old posts, where they'll play, no website, meant to play in the ''A Championship'' And me putting up my first post about a supporters club and starting off with 20 memberships, and that was in a prodominatley big GAA club just cause i worked there,

Fast forward to 22/November/2009.:eek:

From calling it St Finians GAA club to Sporting Fingal Supporters Club. And having the entire squad with the trophy, bottles of champagne been opened like we were on that cup winners stand and all the kids (and some adults) getting their jerseys signed and photo's with them it has been a remarkable 2 seasons. Well done to everyone who has supported Sporting Fingal through our short (not brief) history, this is the begining of something great. we are now immortalized in LOI football forever roll on next year, Europa League here we come! oh and not to forget fifa 11.:D

Full day of photos

Well, I finally did it last night. I went through the large number of photos taken on the day - the match, the cup presentation and then the post game party celebrations. Anyway, I've now posted them on my website, in case anyone is interested.

One more event to cover - the civic reception in Swords tomorrow evening, and then that's an end to a wonderful season of Sporting Fingal.

Anyone else going to the civic reception this evening for the cup winners??

6:45pm at the Pavillions, and then 7pm at Swords Castle.

Yep:). Ill be there.

Of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

How was it??

how many ppl turned up?
    did swords come to a standstill?

cant wait til next season!!
    isnt it great to say this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League#Second_qualifying_round

Now its a little early but i cant help getting excited so if anyone is bored and looking for some procastrinating fun...have a look. we've qualified for the second qualifying round with 55 others, add the 25 from the previous round and there'll be 80 teams in the draw.
    The first 40 are seeded, so our league's co effecient should ensure we are seeded l;ike pats and derry were last year....

• Advertisement

How was it??

how many ppl turned up?
    did swords come to a standstill?

cant wait til next season!!
    isnt it great to say this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League#Second_qualifying_round

Now its a little early but i cant help getting excited so if anyone is bored and looking for some procastrinating fun...have a look. we've qualified for the second qualifying round with 55 others, add the 25 from the previous round and there'll be 80 teams in the draw.
    The first 40 are seeded, so our league's co effecient should ensure we are seeded l;ike pats and derry were last year....

It was grand. Nothing spectacular but decent enough considering how cold it was. The pavilions was good. All the players where there and it was great to see all the kids getting their shirts signed and pictures taken with the cup and players.
    Its really great that we are getting such a following from kids because they will grow up supporting the club. This is how you build a fan base. It wont happen over night but it is happening.:)

Great to see our name in the Europa league.

It was grand. Nothing spectacular but decent enough considering how cold it was. The pavilions was good. All the players where there and it was great to see all the kids getting their shirts signed and pictures taken with the cup and players.
    Its really great that we are getting such a following from kids because they will grow up supporting the club. This is how you build a fan base. It wont happen over night but it is happening.:)

It was COLD.

I'd say there was well over 1,000 people out to see the team, between the Pavillions and Swords Castle. A great turnout, considering.

Loads and loads of kids, wearing Sporting Fingal shirts, hats, scarves, etc. Great to see such a young population following the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Andy(mike)Lowry

It was COLD.

I'd say there was well over 1,000 people out to see the team, between the Pavillions and Swords Castle. A great turnout, considering.

Loads and loads of kids, wearing Sporting Fingal shirts, hats, scarves, etc. Great to see such a young population following the team.

It was a great turnout all the same. Lads just to inform you, The Sporting Fingal Supporters Club will be hosting their annual End of season celebrations. We will be awarding the the player of the year voted by fans, and also the fan of the year voted by the Supporters Club Committe.
    Awards start at 8pm, with live music and food being served. Bar closes at 12:30am. (ID Essential)

Hope to see you there,

Andy Lowry

Sporting Fingal Supporters Club
    Rivervalley Community Club
    Rivervalley Road
    Swords

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=53.453477,-6.242938&sll=53.446251,-6.237316&sspn=0.048154,0.109692&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

so about 1000 in all...? its good enough i suppose, but like you said its one of the things i noticed at the matches lots of young kids, hopfully theyll grow up with the club just hope they dont lose heart soon (i wasnt too disappointed last year not to get promoted because we cant rush things too much...) and stick with us.

One thing i would be afraid of is schooligans...when i was in tolka me for the derby the young shels schooligans were jeering us and looking for a scrap, the lads i was with (supporters club, 18,19,20, 21 yrs old) were mature enough to just stand back and not give in but it could easily have turned a different way if one of us had lost our cool....which could happen if we get a big group of young teenagers but we'll see
    Great to see our name in the Europa league.

i put it there :) lol
    but ye im already excited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

so about 1000 in all...? its good enough i suppose, but like you said its one of the things i noticed at the matches lots of young kids, hopfully theyll grow up with the club just hope they dont lose heart soon (i wasnt too disappointed last year not to get promoted because we cant rush things too much...) and stick with us.

One thing i would be afraid of is schooligans...when i was in tolka me for the derby the young shels schooligans were jeering us and looking for a scrap, the lads i was with (supporters club, 18,19,20, 21 yrs old) were mature enough to just stand back and not give in but it could easily have turned a different way if one of us had lost our cool....which could happen if we get a big group of young teenagers but we'll see

i put it there :) lol
    but ye im already excited

good stewarding where ever ye end up will sort that out and nip it in the bud

One thing i would be afraid of is schooligans.

Can't see that happening in Morton. Great stewards will quickly stamp any of that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So what's the story with stadiums? Both next year and into the future?

dsmythy wrote: »
    So what's the story with stadiums? Both next year and into the future?

Hope we dont go to tolka. Just watching any team play football on that pitch makes me ill. Most uneven pitch iv seen. No wonder they played hoofball:).

If its a case that Morton just doesnt have enough seats to get us a license then im sure temporary ones can be put in. Similar to what Kildare have.

I think the lusk project is still on the cards just delayed due to the recession unfortunately.

Hope we dont go to tolka. Just watching any team play football on that pitch makes me ill. Most uneven pitch iv seen. No wonder they played hoofball:).

If its a case that Morton just doesnt have enough seats to get us a license then im sure temporary ones can be put in. Similar to what Kildare have.

I think the lusk project is still on the cards just delayed due to the recession unfortunately.

We'll be playing next season in Morton, subject to a license with regard to the pitch dimensions. Our pitch is bigger than Drogheda who also don't comply with LOI rules and they were given a waiver so I'd be fairly confident.

Temporary seating is troublesome due to the gradient of the Santry stand (so I'm told at least) therefore it looks like we'll be fielding a maximum of 800 seated home supporters plus whatever away standing support comes to games. I understand they are thinking about putting seating somewhere else but I'm not so sure where.

The intermediate goal is a Wexford style temporary stadium in Lusk at the Sports Academy facility with a 5-10 year plan to have use of the Municipal stadium that will hopefully come a couple of years after metro is delivered.

Last year, during the "Your Swords" town plan, I submitted a motion to put a stadium site into the plan. It was accepted and now features in the finished document which will be used to plan developments in the future in northern Swords. Specifically in the vicinity of Balheary Park which will have Metro running through it.

The club moved so fast in the past couple of years that its hard to keep up with them in terms of a stadium plan.

With regard to trouble in the stadium, I have to agree with PaulW, we have terrific stewards :rolleyes:.

Has anyone else noticed that last week there were 58,000 views of this thread, its now over 64,000 views.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info Alan

Im sure some seats could be put in the standing area to the right of the seated stand as you are looking at it.

Didnt notice the amount of hits but thats great to see. Nothing like a bit of success to help grab some interest.

Hopefully we will have some sort of temporary seats, just in case we do exceed the 800 home supporters. We would want any new supporters to feel comfortable when they come to the games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement