Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Andy(mike)Lowry

I was talking to Brendan Clarke today. He has signed a two year contract with Fingal. for those of you who dont know Brendan was on loan with us from St Pats for the second half of the 2008 season and was brill keeping his place between the posts over Steve Wiliams and James Hussey respectfully and was the main reason for our 3rd place finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I was talking to Brendan Clarke today. He has signed a two year contract with Fingal. for those of you who dont know Brendan was on loan with us from St Pats for the second half of the 2008 season and was brill keeping his place between the posts over Steve Wiliams and James Hussey respectfully and was the main reason for our 3rd place finish.

Good keeper. But he was a bit mad about coming off his line.
    Still glad to have a new keeper. Was an area we needed to strengthen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The intermediate goal is a Wexford style temporary stadium in Lusk at the Sports Academy facility with a 5-10 year plan to have use of the Municipal stadium that will hopefully come a couple of years after metro is delivered.

Last year, during the "Your Swords" town plan, I submitted a motion to put a stadium site into the plan. It was accepted and now features in the finished document which will be used to plan developments in the future in northern Swords. Specifically in the vicinity of Balheary Park which will have Metro running through it.

The club moved so fast in the past couple of years that its hard to keep up with them in terms of a stadium plan.

Good to see a stadium site in the plans. If they are planning on turning Swords into a city then an all purpose stadium within Swords is a must. I'd be worried about when the stadium will be delivered considering it's tie in with the completion of the Metro which is guaranteed to be heavily delayed in my opinion.

Unfortunately i think a temporary facility at Lusk will be a hindrance rather than a help to attendence of games. With the lacklustre public transport out that way it will turn new potential fans off coming from Swords who don't own a car.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Good to see a stadium site in the plans. If they are planning on turning Swords into a city then an all purpose stadium within Swords is a must. I'd be worried about when the stadium will be delivered considering it's tie in with the completion of the Metro which is guaranteed to be heavily delayed in my opinion.

Unfortunately i think a temporary facility at Lusk will be a hindrance rather than a help to attendence of games. With the lacklustre public transport out that way it will turn new potential fans off coming from Swords who don't own a car.

While not the most ideal situation. I still think it would be a better option than Morton overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

While not the most ideal situation. I still think it would be a better option than Morton overall.

Living beside Morton makes it easy for me. TBH if the team moves to Lusk as is [still] muted it won't be easy to get there but we'll go. I am so grateful that the club has a def area from where it will draw fans, not like certain other LOI clubs who have played northside, southside, northside, southside if you know what I mean ;)

• Advertisement

Living beside Morton makes it easy for me. TBH if the team moves to Lusk as is [still] muted it won't be easy to get there but we'll go. I am so grateful that the club has a def area from where it will draw fans, not like certain other LOI clubs who have played northside, southside, northside, southside if you know what I mean ;)

No way. The Goonshow is back. What happened man?. Thought you dropped off the face of the planet. Still following the team so.
    Its been a busy time for the club since you last posted. Good to hear from you.

They still dont like us dont you know;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gavin is clearly having a rough time of it at present. I am not sure if anyone here will be able to assist him with information concerning the events surrounding his brother, but I am sure you will join me in wishing his brother well, and a speedy recovery. Hopefully we will get the benefit of Gavin's friendly banter back here soon.

No way. The Goonshow is back. What happened man?. Thought you dropped off the face of the planet. Still following the team so.
    Its been a busy time for the club since you last posted. Good to hear from you.

They still dont like us dont you know;)

I have been staying off message boards by and large. That rodentine "moderator" over on foot.ie soured me of how one mans insulting WUM is another mans "totally legitimate criticism of Sporting Franchise" [cough cough: ahem]. I know if I ever meet the Cork twerp in person we can resort to another sport. Pugilism will apply.

I was surviving the disappointment of blowing the promotion push last year in and around the Dundalk games. I wasn't at every game at the start of this season because my son got very active in the GAA but we kept going to most of the home games.

"They" not liking us makes the joy of leaving the clowns behind in the playoffs and lifting the cup all the sweeter. All the predictions of 2 years and oblivion now look pretty dumb.

I loved seeing the cup up close and personal, didn't know it was made in 1921 for instance :cool:

I take it I am welcome back?

Beasty wrote: »
    Gavin is clearly having a rough time of it at present. I am not sure if anyone here will be able to assist him with information concerning the events surrounding his brother, but I am sure you will join me in wishing his brother well, and a speedy recovery. Hopefully we will get the benefit of Gavin's friendly banter back here soon.

Thats terrible news.

Hope your brother pulls true Gav and makes a full recovery.

I have been staying off message boards by and large. That rodentine "moderator" over on foot.ie soured me of how one mans insulting WUM is another mans "totally legitimate criticism of Sporting Franchise" [cough cough: ahem]. I know if I ever meet the Cork twerp in person we can resort to another sport. Pugilism will apply.

I was surviving the disappointment of blowing the promotion push last year in and around the Dundalk games. I wasn't at every game at the start of this season because my son got very active in the GAA but we kept going to most of the home games.

"They" not liking us makes the joy of leaving the clowns behind in the playoffs and lifting the cup all the sweeter. All the predictions of 2 years and oblivion now look pretty dumb.

I loved seeing the cup up close and personal, didn't know it was made in 1921 for instance :cool:

Of course your welcome.

Foot.ie is a joke to be honest. I just post there now to try and promote the club as much as possible and correct the missinformation posted by certain people with certain agenda s.
    When the guy who runs it, calls me braindead in a public post and then warns others that they should just attack the post not the poster and the other new mod, our old ucd friend allows all kinds of crap to be posted about fingal and then bans fingal fans when they respond, well it just aint the way a football chatsite should be run to be honest. Its a lot better on boards.ie. Still has some of the moron brigade but at least the mods are a lot better.

Anyway. Here s to enjoying 5 different competitions to compete in next year.

Oh and as for missing some of the earlier games of the season. You missed nothing we where useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Hope all goes well Gavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The door is always open. :)

Congrats to Shane Mc Faul for winning player of the year for Sporting Fingal.
    Bit of a suprise one IMO, but he has been a very consistent performer overall.

http://www.sportingfingal.ie/News/tabid/1260/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2517/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Congrats to Shane Mc Faul for winning player of the year for Sporting Fingal.
    Bit of a suprise one IMO, but he has been a very consistent performer overall.

A bit of a surprise, but I think there were a number of contenders - Conan Byrne (again and again), Shaun Williams, Gary O'Neill, and Shane. Since Conan was out of the country, I think they were going to award it to someone who was around to get it. :D Then again, I think Shauny was also out of the country.

I must say, of all the games, Shane ran the midfield in the cup final. He was like the Xabi Alonso of the team, controlling the midfield and spreading the ball around.

He's been getting better all season, and deserves the award.

Alan kirby for me. Even if Conan was in the country I still would have put Kirby ahead of him.

Still, congrats to Shane.

For me, it would have been Conan, or Shaun (close 2nd). Conan for scoring the most goals and playing in every game. Shaun for his workload and tackling.

But, I wouldn't disagree with Liam's choice.

Paulw wrote: »
    For me, it would have been Conan, or Shaun (close 2nd). Conan for scoring the most goals and playing in every game. Shaun for his workload and tackling.

But, I wouldn't disagree with Liam's choice.

Two great players and it would be hard to argue against either of them.

Its a good thing we can say that there was more than just one or two in the running for the player of the year.

Also, if O Neil had of played a full season i think he would have been up there too IMO.

It also seems we are going to sign Ronan Finn from UCD (1st div player of the year)

http://www.pfai.ie/transfer-list Check at the very bottom. Says he is off to Sporting Fingal.

Cant say I have seen much of him but the reports from UCD fans is that he s a great player. Didnt beat Conan and Mcallister to player of the year for nothing.

I think we like getting players off UCD. Considering the ones we got so far, I can understand why.

Yeah. Alan Kirby won Sporting Fingal Supporters Club Player of the Year award. He may not have scored all the goals last season but he was instumental in the games he played. Pity we didnt have him gracing the pitch in tallaght, saying that McFaul ran the show, even the players were saying it.

Sporting Fingal Fifa 11 - Cant Wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

According to the PFAI list (thanks for that Lamper)

Robert Bayly
    Eric Foley
    Ross Gaynor
    Colm James
    Fiachra McArdle
    Shane McFaul
    Philip Byrne
    Lorcan Fitzgerald

are all out of contract.

I wonder who if any will be let go?

Good to see that we have signed a keeper although I wouldn't have minded too much if Quigley had stayed. Don't know much about Ronan Finn, any good?

Robert Bayly
    Eric Foley
    Ross Gaynor
    Colm James
    Fiachra McArdle
    Shane McFaul
    Philip Byrne
    Lorcan Fitzgerald

are all out of contract.

Good to see that we have signed a keeper although I wouldn't have minded too much if Quigley had stayed. Don't know much about Ronan Finn, any good?

For starters Ross Gaynor wont be back with us

Maybe Fiachra Mcardle. Barely got a look in in Div 1 this year. Cant see his chances being any better in what should be a stonger team.

Hate to say it but maybe Byrne might not be back. This would depend on who we sign in defense. I for one would like him to stay though.

Lorcan Fitzgerald stated in the fingal independant that he didnt know whether he would be playing for fingal next year or not. I guess he is keeping his options open. Most players would say that anyway.

• Advertisement

Robert Bayly
    Eric Foley
    Ross Gaynor
    Colm James
    Fiachra McArdle
    Shane McFaul
    Philip Byrne
    Lorcan Fitzgerald

are all out of contract.

Ronan Finn we got from UCD, young lad, bags of potential. some players on that list are no suprise, only because they didnt get their game that much or were struggling with injury. Philly Byrne was our best defender when he was fit. Fiachra McArdle didnt get his game enough which is a pitty cause he had the best feet in the squad and always made an impact. Lorcan is going back to england for the break to see friends and hopefully get a contract over there. Id imagine he would too. As for Robert Bayly, Colm James & Shane McFaul im stumped to believe they could be released. 3 players who helped us achieve a great year.
    Eric Foley & Ross Gaynor never cemented their place with us although Gaynor did well for drogs on loan. But hey, its not as if Bucko does'nt know what he's doing to be fair.

Ronan Finn we got from UCD, young lad, bags of potential. some players on that list are no suprise, only because they didnt get their game that much or were struggling with injury. Philly Byrne was our best defender when he was fit. Fiachra McArdle didnt get his game enough which is a pitty cause he had the best feet in the squad and always made an impact. Lorcan is going back to england for the break to see friends and hopefully get a contract over there. Id imagine he would too. As for Robert Bayly, Colm James & Shane McFaul im stumped to believe they could be released. 3 players who helped us achieve a great year.
    Eric Foley & Ross Gaynor never cemented their place with us although Gaynor did well for drogs on loan. But hey, its not as if Bucko does'nt know what he's doing to be fair.

Lets hope its not whole sale changes like it was last year. It took too long for us to gel (injuries didnt help either).
    We need to keep the majority of this squad together. Add in 4 to 5 new faces to compliment what we already have and we should be alright IMO.

As for Robert Bayly, Colm James & Shane McFaul im stumped to believe they could be released. 3 players who helped us achieve a great year.

As far as I know, they're only on that list because they're out of contract. They only had one year contracts anyway.

I know Buckley is having meetings with players, and wouldn't be surprised to see a good number on that whole list resign for another season.

Ronan Finn move to us is confirmed:D on the UCD website

http://www.ucdsoccer.com/

As far as I know, they're only on that list because they're out of contract. They only had one year contracts anyway.

I know Buckley is having meetings with players, and wouldn't be surprised to see a good number on that whole list resign for another season.

Yeah. A lot of players on that list end up re-signing for the club they played for the previous season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Players are on the list because they requested to be. I know for instance Shaun Maher is out of contract, but he is also planning to sign up again for next year so hasn't bothered to put himself up on that.

A couple of things. Looking Shaun Maher in the Bray games I thought you could see the value of his reading the game. I know he's not everyone's favourite centreback but let me tell you this lad is well able for the premier league opponents.

Now, from what I saw McFaul deserved the player of the year. He may not be a track bully, but he has a coolness about him that really helped us in games.

Last point, ....maybe I will write it on a different post. Wait a sec

Lamper, a question. I know you are sort of connected to the club and the supporters club and this is why I'm putting it to you.

Did we miss out on a big opportunity? What I mean is its Christmas and we just won the Cup and got promoted. We have the biggest level of publicity ever. I bet there are merchandising opportunities now. The number of kids alone at the final,,, you can only imagine the jersey rolling off the shelves as a Chrimbo present. But you have to traipse up to Balheary to buy it! This is a main street item. Surely to God one of the people you know could get a short letting on one of the shops on Swords main street and DECK IT OUT SFFC style. And you could hock the small jersey stocks at cost or something. Every kid who gets one is like an investment in the future. You could also have players around the shop to help out and have street keepy-uppy sessions to draw people in. Lets not sink into the LOI mediocrity of hoping things will come to us, and getting bitter when it doesn't. Lets try stuff. Can you talk about my idea to the people working with the club. Maybe I should ask Alan too, I bet you have the in with the commercial people.

I see Shane McFaul just signed a 2 year deal to stay with Fingal. May not be fully public info yet.

As for the idea of selling shirts, etc - well, the players are on a well deserved break. Many are away on holidays right now.

I thought there were jerseys on sale in Lifestyle in Pavillions?

• Advertisement

I see Shane McFaul just signed a 2 year deal to stay with Fingal. May not be fully public info yet.

As for the idea of selling shirts, etc - well, the players are on a well deserved break. Many are away on holidays right now.

I thought there were jerseys on sale in Lifestyle in Pavillions?

See thats the opposite of what I was proposing. Walk into that shop in the Pavillions and what do you see? You see Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea shirts as far as your eye will travel. You have to ask for the SFFC jersey. I suppose I wasnt clear enough. I was going for a presence on main street in one of the vacant shops. I bet that some of the players are still around too and wouldn't mind helping it happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement