Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Not sure that signing Glen Crowe (albeit a good LOI performer) would be a good idea. I think we need to concentrate on bringing in players in areas where we are weak who could potentially be with the club for a good few years.

One of the worst attributes of the LOI (apart from Shels, just kidding!) is the transient nature of the players which doesn't help the fans or the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Not sure that signing Glen Crowe (albeit a good LOI performer) would be a good idea. I think we need to concentrate on bringing in players in areas where we are weak who could potentially be with the club for a good few years.

One of the worst attributes of the LOI (apart from Shels, just kidding!) is the transient nature of the players which doesn't help the fans or the clubs.

I guess it all depends on who is staying and who is going from last years squad. I know Liam Buckley has been saying in interviews that he wants the bulk of the squad kept together but im guessing there might be one or two more to go that maybe people wouldnt have expected. So crowe might be a much needed signing. Time will tell I guess.

Crowe for Robbie Doyle would not be a bad switch IMO.

Totally agree about the players moving around all the time but I guess its very difficult for clubs to commit to longer than one year a lot of the time. It can be risky for the clubs financially especially when they dont seem to know what finances they will have from one year to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The hard part for most clubs is financial status. Short contracts tend to suit.

I'm unsure abour Crowe. I don't doubt his skill/ability, but in the same way, we have a few options up front (Zayed, Kirby, O'Neill, etc).

I haven't heard anything about pre-season games yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Crowe is from Fingal and we may get a few extra fans from D15 who would see a local lad playing for us.
    He is another one with Premier divison experience which is valuable in itself.

Dinny gone to shels on loan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

is the unreserved season ticket for under the box in morton, and the reserved for somewhere in in the middle in the main stand does anyone know?

and also when is the supporters club signing for new members?

• Advertisement

is the unreserved season ticket for under the box in morton, and the reserved for somewhere in in the middle in the main stand does anyone know?

and also when is the supporters club signing for new members?

As a supporter and steward, I haven't got a clue about seating arrangements but you might be onto something there.

Possibility of additional roof going in along side stand but no details at the moment. Personally, I think supporters club should stand somewhere, but that's just me.

Paulw might know the name of the supporters club guy, I forget his name. Club will tell you if called/emailed.

yeah im going to drop down to the sf office 2morrow its just down the road from me,

Totally agree about the players moving around all the time but I guess its very difficult for clubs to commit to longer than one year a lot of the time. It can be risky for the clubs financially especially when they dont seem to know what finances they will have from one year to the next.
    Paulw wrote: »
    The hard part for most clubs is financial status. Short contracts tend to suit.

So, what's the solution then?

One thing that made my eyebrow rise in 2006 was the thought of another club being formed when I knew that Bohs were sniffing around the airport for a site. Yet regardless of football success, can SFFC be assured of being in a stable league in say ten years. I think the answer is no and looking at the FAI, I have no faith in their ability to resolve the troubles of the leagues. The other point is how can Dublin support this many clubs?

Is an amalgamated league or a reduced number of professional teams the answer?

Should the LOI break from the FAI? Could we get a TV company interested? Why are we not basing our model on the Norwegians? Can irish people be weaned off british soccer?

at the end of the season rte show loi matches, i think there should be a match on every friday, rte, tv3 or tg4 should get the rights, cant be that dear scince no1 has dem anyway and the camras are already in the grounds for monday night soccer<mns>? and friday night tv is s**t anyway,

ps
    sorry bout the mess, in a rush to go training,

yeah im going to drop down to the sf office 2morrow its just down the road from me,
    Thats probably a good idea.

How much are the season tickets anyway? Can you apply online?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

cymro wrote: »
    Crowe is from Fingal and we may get a few extra fans from D15 who would see a local lad playing for us.
    He is another one with Premier divison experience which is valuable in itself.

Dinny gone to shels on loan ?

Source?

Thats probably a good idea.

How much are the season tickets anyway? Can you apply online?

reserved = 200
    unreserved = 180

and you cant apply online you have to go to there office to get the form.

http://clubs.a2zsoccer.com/sportingfingal/News/tabid/1260/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2543/2010-Ticket-Prices-Announced.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Season tickets will be ready some time next month the last i heard. Good value last year.

gonna apply 4 one tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

gonna apply 4 one tomorrow

Should be picking one up soon myself. Cant wait for the season to start.
    No more div 1 :D

So, what's the solution then?

The other point is how can Dublin support this many clubs?

Is an amalgamated league or a reduced number of professional teams the answer?

Should the LOI break from the FAI? Could we get a TV company interested? Why are we not basing our model on the Norwegians? Can irish people be weaned off british soccer?

So many questions.

I don't think there is any simple solution.

Ok, LOI games are Fri nights (mostly), so it's not in direct competition with the UK Premiership. So, that shouldn't be a problem.

Reduced teams? I don't think that will help.

Teams in Dublin? Well, there is the population base that should be able to support clubs. You're talking about a city with a population of 1.5 million potential fans (ok, about 40% adults). Each club only requires 5,000 fans per game through the gates. Revenue from gates, programmes, merchandise, etc should then be more than enough to cover running costs. Bigger crowds also generate a bigger audience for advertisers. Again, more income for clubs.

Perception is the biggest issue. The LOI has a poor perception in the public. The league, as such, is not bad. There are plenty of very good players, teams, who play attractive football (Sporting Fingal as a prime example).

Facilities is an issue, in my view. Just look at Tallaght - a new stadium, good facilities (food/beverages, club shop, sheltered/comfortable stadium) .. that is what is needed. Nothing worse than going to a game and being soaked and freezing cold. Ok, so the league is (in theory) a summer league, so the weather should be better.

The crowd - I think many parents are put off by the "content" of chants at clubs - the bad language. If you compare it to the UK Premiership - none of that would be allowed.

More TV coverage can only be good for the league. Let people see that good exciting football is being played. I think the FAI Ford Cup final was a very good show for the doubters. Good football from both teams, and an exciting finish to the game.

Overall, there is no quick and easy fix. Almost everything costs money, and money is hard to get.

Anyway, those are just my ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Facilities is an issue, in my view. Just look at Tallaght - a new stadium, good facilities (food/beverages, club shop, sheltered/comfortable stadium) .. that is what is needed. Nothing worse than going to a game and being soaked and freezing cold. Ok, so the league is (in theory) a summer league, so the weather should be better.

The crowd - I think many parents are put off by the "content" of chants at clubs - the bad language. If you compare it to the UK Premiership - none of that would be allowed.

Two very good points here Paulw, when you have been to United Park maybe we could start a rant about stadium facilities!!! No away-fans seating, no running water in toilets, uncovered stand!!! The list goes on and on and no "fixes" in sight!

It's not just parents who are put off by the "content" of chants, I find a lot of it disgusting and unnecessary (not to mention irrelevant to the game of football at hand) what's wrong with just watching the match? I don't know if I'll ever go to another away match after the “carry on” of some supporters on the bus to a certain match and at the ground. I was so embarrassed! I know I know...I'm such a fuddly duddy! Surely the club need to be a bit more conscientious about security etc?

paid for my season ticket today, i was told that they wont have them in till around march.

if there was no chants at a football game it would be fairly dull for the best part of the game wouldent u agree? on the coach down id agree that people should have better manors < thats 1 way of putting it > but when your at the game it is or it should be alright to chant at the game in good or bad lyrics, its all part of the game, and what people expect, just think for a min what a game would be like if you where watching it in the ground or on telly and there was silence until a goal was scored or the keeper made a great save, fairly s***t in my eyes but thats just my opinion.

Should be picking one up soon myself. Cant wait for the season to start.
    No more div 1 :D

we wont be having fun in division one :D

• Advertisement

Chants, songs, etc are fine. But, why is there a need for bad language? Why is it part of the game? It doesn't exist in other sports.

You'd never hear anything like it an an English Premiership game, that's for damn sure. You'd be out the door quicker than you could start a chant !!

The way to increase a fan base is by family participation. I know a few people who won't bring their kids to games, mainly because of the bad language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Chants, songs, etc are fine. But, why is there a need for bad language? Why is it part of the game? It doesn't exist in other sports.

You'd never hear anything like it an an English Premiership game, that's for damn sure. You'd be out the door quicker than you could start a chant !!

The way to increase a fan base is by family participation. I know a few people who won't bring their kids to games, mainly because of the bad language.

Don't know about that Paul. I've heard plenty of chants of "The referee's a w****r" and the like at Premier league games. You also have the songs that United fans sing about Hillsborough victims and the songs that Liverpool fans sing about Munich. Pretty distasteful stuff. I would imagine that the LOI fans take their lead form their cross channel counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I love all the chanting and singing, it creates great atmosphere but the fat bástard, wánker etc comments annoy me, there's no need for them really! Most of the time they're made by people who couldn't run if the place was on fire!!!

EDIT: I don't know if it's just me but have you ever noticed that that crowd always chants with an English accent? Peculiar!

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I love all the chanting and singing, it creates great atmosphere but the fat bástard, wánker etc comments annoy me, there's no need for them really! Most of the time they're made by people who couldn't run if the place was on fire!!!

EDIT: I don't know if it's just me but have you ever noticed that that crowd always chants with an English accent? Peculiar!

lol that realy annoys me too, chanting in an english accent, i chant at all the games but not in a english accent but a north county dublin accent which is where im from and most of the other lads are too lol, as far as the refs a w***er chant yeah i must admit i chant that at times but im gona try and stop cause he is the man in the middle and not apart of either team < well should not be anyway lol > so its not right,

Don't know about that Paul. I've heard plenty of chants of "The referee's a w****r" and the like at Premier league games. Pretty distasteful stuff. I would imagine that the LOI fans take their lead form their cross channel counterparts.

I'd say the number of LOI fans who've been to a Permiership game would be few and far between. Out of a sample of 5,000 fans, I'd say less than 50 would have every been to a UK game.

While there can be some chants like that in the UK, it's not many. You wouldn't get away with the vast majority of stuff you'd hear at an LOI game.

I'm NOT saying that cutting out bad language would cure the league, or anything like that, but I just don't see the need for it, and I do believe that it does limit family attendance.

No one seems to ever be able to explain why there is a need for such bad language in the chats. "Because it's part of the league" ??? What a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I'd say the number of LOI fans who've been to a Permiership game would be few and far between. Out of a sample of 5,000 fans, I'd say less than 50 would have every been to a UK game.

While there can be some chants like that in the UK, it's not many. You wouldn't get away with the vast majority of stuff you'd hear at an LOI game.

I'm NOT saying that cutting out bad language would cure the league, or anything like that, but I just don't see the need for it, and I do believe that it does limit family attendance.

No one seems to ever be able to explain why there is a need for such bad language in the chats. "Because it's part of the league" ??? What a load of rubbish.

There definately should be a campaign of some sort to eradicate this behaviour and who better to spearhead it than a family orientated, community based club like Sporting Fingal.

i think you wrong on this one paul sorry lol bad language is in every sport from soccer to tennis, and as someone else stated some of the man u and liverpool chants are bad but its allowed < well maybe not allowed but it cant be stopped >

as far as perents not bring children to games and i dont want to insult any parents on this but if perents wont bring there kids to soccer matches over bad language then why send them to school, they learn more bad language in the playground than they would at a soccer game would you agree, there not liveing in the real world, kids need sport in there life and if parents wont bring them to games just over bad language well.................

sorry just 1 more thing, did you ever sit down to watch a match with your girlfriend and there are kids beside you and infront of you and behind you messing around running down to get food hitting off you spilling things etc....... thats realy annoying, i know sf is a family based team, thats grand on paper and for news etc but in the real world who wants to sit down and watch a match with aload of kids doing what i said, and im not telling lies, it happened to us more than once, thats half the reason why i was with the lads under the box the 2th half of last season to avoid all that, and trust me, you enjoy the game much more and you realy get the most of going to the games,

its not a part of the league its part of our language and thats a fact, bet you curse with your friends all the time, dont act like a saint :D fighting at or after games thats something to argue about. but useing bad language..... i dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You'd never see flares, tifo flags (that aren;t paid for by the club minus Liverpool), etc...

Any source on Dinny coming to us on loan? I know we're talking to a Fingal player but it's not Dinny.

• Advertisement

There definately should be a campaign of some sort to eradicate this behaviour and who better to spearhead it than a family orientated, community based club like Sporting Fingal.

never gonna happen, its bad language, sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. do you know what i mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement