Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

i think you wrong on this one paul sorry lol bad language is in every sport from soccer to tennis

Not nearly to the same level as LOI football, and certainly not as crude.
    sorry just 1 more thing, did you ever sit down to watch a match with your girlfriend

Nope, afraid I haven't. :D She sits in the stands while I'm down on the pitch. So, I'm never sitting with her at a match.
    its not a part of the league its part of our language and thats a fact, bet you curse with your friends all the time

What an utter load of rubbish.

Yeah, I curse, but not all the time. I don't curse at people or shout curses at people in public. Maybe that's just me and my friends though.

Part of our language?? Please !!!
    Any source on Dinny coming to us on loan? I know we're talking to a Fingal player but it's not Dinny.

Haven't talked to Dinny lately, but might just drop him a text and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

maybe its just a case of your always right paul? < yeah right ;) >

useing bad language at a football match is what is done at every game nomater whos playing or where its being played so no point in argueing about it, but would you answer me this please, why should kids be allowed run around the place at a match and stoping other people from enjoying the game?

why should kids be allowed run around the place at a match and stoping other people from enjoying the game?

IMHO, they shouldn't be allowed. The stewards should deal with such issues, especially for safety reasons (in case a poor kid falls and gets hurt).

useing bad language at a football match is what is done at every game nomater whos playing or where its being played so no point in argueing about it,

Why is using bad language normal?

Would you curse in work/school class? If not, why not? Would you curse when talking to a doctor/Garda, or any professional person? Why not?

It's not part of our language, per se, it's more colloquial culture.

It's not part of the sport. It's not "needed".

Any source on Dinny coming to us on loan? I know we're talking to a Fingal player but it's not Dinny.

Yes, Dinny is going to Shels on loan for the season. Source - the horses mouth. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Paulw wrote: »
    Yes, Dinny is going to Shels on loan for the season. Source - the horses mouth. :D

The guy needs some regular football tbh. Nice of us to help out a team in need;)

According to the Fingal independant we where in talks with Shane Robinson. Shamrock Rvs Captain of last year. Unfortunately it looks like he has decided to go to Australia instead.:(

Also according to the Fingal Ind. We are close to signing last years goalkeeper Quigley. Good backup IMO.
    The paper also stated that at time of going to print we where in talks with another striker.
    Ross Gaynor will not have his contract renewed either.

Paddy Power have us at 9/1 to win the league behind Bohs, Shamrock rvs and Cork.

Why is using bad language normal?

Would you curse in work/school class? If not, why not? Would you curse when talking to a doctor/Garda, or any professional person? Why not?

It's not part of our language, per se, it's more colloquial culture.

It's not part of the sport. It's not "needed".

in fairness no i dont, and i dont know why its part of football, and even more so in loi but it is, but i dont think its going to change imo. either way lets agree on one thing we both cant wait for the leauge to start:D

According to the Fingal independant we where in talks with Shane Robinson. Shamrock Rvs Captain of last year. Unfortunately it looks like he has decided to go to Australia instead.:(

Also according to the Fingal Ind. We are close to signing last years goalkeeper Quigley. Good backup IMO.
    The paper also stated that at time of going to print we where in talks with another striker.
    Ross Gaynor will not have his contract renewed either.

Paddy Power have us at 9/1 to win the league behind Bohs, Shamrock rvs and Cork.

i think quigley did great last year, id like to see him wearing the no.1 this year but he probly wont. 9/1 there good odds, worth a 50 or 20 at least:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good oul Quigs, least we know where the downfall of Fingal will come from.

Yous are 7/1 on Boyles, ahead of Cork.

• Advertisement

i think quigley did great last year, id like to see him wearing the no.1 this year but he probly wont. 9/1 there good odds, worth a 50 or 20 at least:p

Great shot stopper but his handling especially towards the end of the year was terrible. Every time a high ball was knocked in I would wonder, will he actually catch this one or just throw it into the net. Scary stuff at times.
    Still, happy he is staying though. Two young keepers who will only get better, battling it out for the number one jersey will be a good thing.

More news -

Eric Foley has signed for Shels (not a loan). So, that's two of the Fingal young lads now with Shels.

Philip Byrne has signed for Longford.

Not sure about Quigley. A good keeper, but he let in some howlers that cost points.

I know we're talking to a Fingal player but it's not Dinny.

Eric Foley has signed for Shels (not a loan).

That was the player I heard about, seems a decent enough signing.

More news -

Eric Foley has signed for Shels (not a loan). So, that's two of the Fingal young lads now with Shels.

Philip Byrne has signed for Longford.

Not sure about Quigley. A good keeper, but he let in some howlers that cost points.

Very good signing for them. I think Hynes was signing for them as well. Seems they might be going for it a bit this year.

I think Hynes was signing for them as well.

Ye he did, no doubt he'll be top scorer for them as he scored only a handful for us (remember that goal in Morton he score:P).

Ye he did, no doubt he'll be top scorer for them as he scored only a handful for us (remember that goal in Morton he score:P).

Oh right that league game. Well he wont be scoring any in Morton in the league this year now will he. Come to think of it, No shels players will. BOOYA. Im here all week people :p:D

There's always the cup. Don't say never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Chants, songs, etc are fine. But, why is there a need for bad language? Why is it part of the game? It doesn't exist in other sports.

You'd never hear anything like it an an English Premiership game, that's for damn sure. You'd be out the door quicker than you could start a chant !!

The way to increase a fan base is by family participation. I know a few people who won't bring their kids to games, mainly because of the bad language.

Maybe they should stop their kids from swearing then :D

paid for my season ticket today, i was told that they wont have them in till around march.

League starts on the 5th so you will get it some time next month.

cymro wrote: »
    A striker is signing for us on friday. He was offered a part time contract with Drogheda but was offered a full time one with us so pen to paper on friday.

Could be Cummins maybe.

• Advertisement

No, ;) I'll let the club announce it.

We have Longford at home in the Leinster senior cup on the 28th of feb. Will it be the first team or a second string side playing seeing that the season starts on the 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Maybe they should stop their kids from swearing then :D

Monkey see monkey do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Monkey see monkey do :D

True.

I regularly ask young kids from about 6 or 7 up to about 15 to sit down and watch the match. It actually bothers me that parents think we are babysitter and it is a regular occurrence that one child will fall over or somehting.

On the bad language front, this really, really bothers me. Like Paulw, I have been to many matches abroad and not just in the UK, bad language does not feature and only in exceptional circumstances is it accepted. (I think "the ref is a anker" qualifies)
    I brought it up in the first year I volunteered and was told it would be impossible to police, of course, I disagree.

Away fans are too far away to be heard and home fans can be "trained" to ease off on it for the sake of the children around them.

Its not acceptable on the TV, classroom or workplace, its not acceptable in the stand.:mad:

On the transfer side, we needed a good left winger, a striker, centre back and a keeper at the end of last season. Not sure on the new signings as I've not seem them yet.

Finally, I think the facilities aspect of LOI does need to be addressed. Tallaght is the ideal stadium but I think something like Tolka would suit us (without the concerns of imminent collapse that is) as its and intimate soccer ground which is what Santry misses.

All of this costs money and without the proper investment, the league will continue to spiral.

League starts on the 5th so you will get it some time next month.

good stuff:)

True.

I regularly ask young kids from about 6 or 7 up to about 15 to sit down and watch the match. It actually bothers me that parents think we are babysitter and it is a regular occurrence that one child will fall over or somehting.

On the bad language front, this really, really bothers me. Like Paulw, I have been to many matches abroad and not just in the UK, bad language does not feature and only in exceptional circumstances is it accepted. (I think "the ref is a anker" qualifies)
    I brought it up in the first year I volunteered and was told it would be impossible to police, of course, I disagree.

Away fans are too far away to be heard and home fans can be "trained" to ease off on it for the sake of the children around them.

Its not acceptable on the TV, classroom or workplace, its not acceptable in the stand.:mad:

On the transfer side, we needed a good left winger, a striker, centre back and a keeper at the end of last season. Not sure on the new signings as I've not seem them yet.

Would it not make sense to have a family area?. I know the stand aint that big but somewhere where kids/families are further away from the worst of the language and also surrounded by other families. It would also help with people who dont wish to be surrounded by kids who distract from the game.
    Personally I cant see anybody being able to stop the cursing. Limit and manage it to a certain degree but I doubt it can be cut out completely.
    If too many rules are set down about what you can and cant do at the ground it will turn people away and ditract from the experience.
    Iv been to some games in england myself and some of the stuff that comes out of peoples mouths would make what has been said at our games look like a nusery rhyme in comparison.

I think areas where people can be with the types of fans they want to be with is the best way of dealing with this.

People who want to sing and chant and sometimes curse, together

Families together.

People who dont wish to sing but dont want to be put in with the kids. together

Give people the option. IMO

A bigger ground would help achieve this tbh.

We have Longford at home in the Leinster senior cup on the 28th of feb. Will it be the first team or a second string side playing seeing that the season starts on the 5th?

I'm even gonna miss that game. :(

Ah well ... I'm sure I'll have plenty of games to cover when I get back.

why cant rte,tv3 of tg4 show 1 LOI game on a fiday night every week, rte showed some matches at the closeing stages of the premier division. why cant they show a full live match every friday, all the cameras are at all the matches in the premier division because monday night soccer < mns > have all the highlights, it starts back in 5/6weeks there abouts, would you say theres a chance a tv station would pick up the idea if the head of LOI forced the issue a bit, i assume they asked before but got turned down, well i hope they asked before, its the best way to promote irish soccer, show it on tv.

what do you lads think?

paulw, did you hear anything at all?

TG4 have sacar beo every Friday. So, each week they'll be showing one live game from the LOI, as far as I'm aware. The live license is also shared with RTE 2, which will show some games (2 a month??)

MNS will also have highlights from all premier division games.

We'll see a lot more of Sporting Fingal on TV this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

TG4 have sacar beo every Friday. So, each week they'll be showing one live game from the LOI, as far as I'm aware. The live license is also shared with RTE 2, which will show some games (2 a month??)

MNS will also have highlights from all premier division games.

We'll see a lot more of Sporting Fingal on TV this season.

Get ready Paul, your stills will get old in this brave new world of youtube clips. :P

• Advertisement

Finally, I think the facilities aspect of LOI does need to be addressed. Tallaght is the ideal stadium but I think something like Tolka would suit us (without the concerns of imminent collapse that is) as its and intimate soccer ground which is what Santry misses.

All of this costs money and without the proper investment, the league will continue to spiral.

Tolka is grand till at least 2017 most likely, unless Ossie Kilkenny wants to bulid a park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement