Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I remember having this debate on fool.ie back when the club was just formed. I went with The Ravens then and I cant see any reason not to go with it now. Seems the best choice IMO

http://foot.ie/threads/85986-Club-Nickname

crow.jpg

the_crow_brandon_lee.jpg

raven.jpg

_Tribal_Raven_Tattoo__by_heartofwings.jpg

Raven_Tribal_Tattoo_by_Nezarak.jpg

CrowUS.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Have a look tomorrow night at whats hanging from the netting just to the side of the announcers room :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

For many years, pre-game introductions of the (baltimore) Ravens' starting lineup would be preceded by a stanza from the poem, usually one which ended with the word "Nevermore," referring to the opposing team's putative inability to score when facing the powerful Raven defense. In 2000, when the Ravens were on their way to winning its first Super Bowl primarily on the strength of that record-setting defense, Chris Berman of ESPN's NFL PrimeTime would often punctuate highlights of the team's results that day by saying, "Quoth the Ravens, Never score!".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raven_in_popular_culture

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

"The Black Raven flag is a modern recreation of a traditional Viking war flag historically linked to the Viking invasions of the British Isles and it is frequently assumed that the 1st flag to fly in America was the Raven banner of the Vikings"

ViperGTS wrote: »
    "The Black Raven flag is a modern recreation of a traditional Viking war flag historically linked to the Viking invasions of the British Isles and it is frequently assumed that the 1st flag to fly in America was the Raven banner of the Vikings"

mjravenbanner01.jpg

looks familiar

dublin.jpg
    The arms feature the Viking raven badge. This signifies that Dublin was founded by the Vikings. The raven stands on a hurdle, signifying the origin of Dublin's Irish name "Baile �tha Cliath" or "Town of the Hurdle Ford". The name Dublin comes from An Dubh Linn, or black pond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Im gigging up in Donegal this weekend lads so Ill be missing my 1st league game of the season unfortunately. :(

A good few of you have my number so feel free to keep me updated please as at about 7:45 Ill be on a bus in the backarse of Cavan wondering if O'Neill has added another goal to his season so far! :D

Ill stick my neck out and say 4-0. I think the Bray result and Bohs midweek will have given the lads much confidence and will hopefully want to turn it on at home in Morton!

See yiz at Pats next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/11901/0/

Preview of tonights match there by Extratime.ie. Once again referring to us as the Raven's have to say the more and more they say it the more and more i'm likin it, hope it sticks this time.
    Should be looking at this as a 3 pointer especially as our next two fixtures are going to be hard ones, Pat's away on the following fri and Shamrock Rovers at home on the monday(nice kick off time for this one at 3 o'clock)
    So will see you boy's up there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fonzycent88

yeh ravens sounds good. suits the crest and colours. hoping for a gud turnout tonight. maybe a good result too. hopefully lads are on a slight high after beating bohs(1st team or not) but still goin fpr 3-1 to fingal. booked the hotel for galway trip, stayin in eyre square €29 per person per room. not 3 bad :) this game tonight is a biggie, 2 tough games on the way. come on the fingal. rockee will be in touch with scores buddy. enjoy the backarse of cavan.

come on you RAVENS!!!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A great win tonight. Drogheda put up a decent fight, but Fingal did control the game.

Just going through my photos now.

Paulw wrote: »
    A great win tonight. Drogheda put up a decent fight, but Fingal did control the game.

Wasnt particularly happy with the performance, some silly mistakes, and drogheda had a few chances when they scored their goal.
    our goals were great we took our chances well, lucky with the og, and unlucky with some of the refs decisions. we were the better team overall even if the scoreline flatters us a bit. 3 points and it looks results going r way 2night so its all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Great result tonight lads. Impressed by Byrne, Browne and Zayed but only really showed himself in the 1st half. Thought Paisley was at a loss tonight and the change for Quinn was needed. The noise from us in the 2nd half was great, should have that from start to finish every week. This will have us on a high for the Pats game too. All in all, a great night for the RAVENS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Have to agree we were flattered but its the mark of champions to not play well and still get three points - we've all seen Man U/ Bohs do it loads of times !! Great singing tonight BTW - it's all coming together .

sffc wrote: »
    Have to agree we were flattered but its the mark of champions to not play well and still get three points - we've all seen Man U/ Bohs do it loads of times !! Great singing tonight BTW - it's all coming together .

Welcome to the thread, sffc.

The singing in the second half was a lot better. Long may it continue, for the RAVENS.

The singing in the second half was a lot better. Long may it continue, for the RAVENS.

Yep, the acoustics are terrible though, even if they stop singing for a half a minute it goes dead quite. They def should move to the middle...in that corner they are at times furthest from the action. Even tho drogs didnt sing haf as much they were in the middle of the pitch and probly heard better..

Its all good though we still have a way to go to create a great atmosphere especially for the european games. We need those big flags (drogs had 4?), i like the idea of big massive plain plack flags (black army; very menacing :))

How good were we on our build up for the first goal? absolute class.
    How bad were we after that in allowing Drogheda dominate the game and get an equaliser and push us till half time? we were brutal!
    The second goal from us was a touch of class from Finn and boy did we need it.
    Paisley was all over the shop, had no pace or reading of the game, their number 7 had him at every opportunity. The half time whistle could not come soon enough.
    The own goal was brought about by some serious pressure from us from the open and we never looked back. Gary O'Niell was class again, Bryne looked better in the 2nd half, poor old Maher must have gone home thinking he had been mugged. And Kenny Browne was having a great game, i think Paisley will have a real battle to oust Browne from the centre back position.
    Thanks again to the singing lads, well done boys.
    And welcome to the forum to "SFFC"
    And WELL DONE "THE RAVEN'S"

Attendance: 1,266

Extratime Man of the Match: Conan Byrne

That's another good nights attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

Good win . Things really getting going now . This is a quality team . Ronan Finn settling in fine in the midfield but why was Stephen Paisley left at left back for the entire first half . He was roasted . Anyone dare to mention at title challange yet?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Here in lies the mystery ! Fingalgooner -u have a figure of 1,266 - extratime.ie WERE saying 962 and RTE and the official site saying 1,162 so someone is mistaken . As I rem there was no announcment at the game .
    In all honesty the 962 fugure seem the corrert one as the stand holds 800 - there were lots of empty seats - at least 100 and I really dont think there was more than 150 Drog fans on the terrrace opposite .
    Most alarming is the trend that seems to be developing . The official attendance at the Sligo match was 1267 . There were empty seats in the stand..even if there weren't -theres no way that 467 were standing on ground level .I have to surmise that the figure is being inflated . Its just not adding up - are the season ticket holders being counted twice???
    PS Thanks for the welcome lads - have been reading for ages .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 derekobrien

4-1 flattered us. Don't think we were 3 goals better than Drogheda. For what its worth...

Clarke - Seems solid, great ball to Conan for our 3rd goal. Confident under crosses and decent distribution. The odd rush of blood but can live with that, rather than have someone superglued to the goal-line.

O'Brien - Poor first half by his standard, did well second half with some good passes into Midfield/O'Neill

Paisley - Awful awful performance from the skipper. Got roasted down the left and could've been sent off for that tackle. Don't think he'll feature much when Lorcan is back

Maher & Browne - Very solid. Nice to have 2 players in central defence who are comfortable with the ball at their feet instead of just hoofing it. (Ala Shamrock Rovers and Phil Byrne from last year)

McFaul - Quiet enough game from Shane but was still effective enough. Can pick a pass beautifully.

Finn - Quality. Great engine and looked to get forward at every opportunity. Fantastic strike for the goal.

Williams - Good ball player but at times took too much out of the ball in the wrong areas. Great header of the ball from kickouts.

Zayed - Opposite to williams, terrible at challenging for the ball from kick outs. Tidy finish for the goal. Too many offsides for my liking.

Byrne - played really well in patches. Great ball for Zayed goal and the Harris OG. Unlucky with the volley as I think the crossbar is still rattling.

O'Neill - Absolute workhorse. Holds the ball up so well and always works his socks off. Last night no different. Classy classy finish for his goal. Player of the Month?? Watch this space.

Quinn - Done very well containing Brendan McGill after the half time break. So much so that Drogheda switched McGill over to their left. Is definitly more an attacker than defender but still a hell of alot more effective than Paisley

James - sloppy, came on and first touch kicked it out of play. Then played a back pass back to Clarke up around his neck. Anyone else think he looks a stone overweight?

Crowe - Only really on to waste time but still out himself about.

All in all a great 3 points and a well ground out result. First 3 at home this season which was important to get under the belt. Roll on St Pat's. VIVA LA RAVENS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Andy(mike)Lowry

Gutted i missed the game,
    Hate saying il have to catch it on mns. damm night shifts are killing me!
    And il miss pats :mad:
    Lookin forward to galway doe,

flights 60euro return, 4* hotel,

3 lads b&b in a family room for 33euro a head,

drinkin till you drop . . . priceless!

There's some things you just have to do to support your football club, for everything else, theres mastercard!! :D

As for ''The Raven's''?? very GAA no?
    I think as far as the attendances are going, they include everyone there, that goes for the kids football teams at halftime. so each one of them make up one more for the attendance i guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

How is 'The Ravens very GAA' and what would be wrong with that?

Here in lies the mystery ! Fingalgooner -u have a figure of 1,266 - extratime.ie WERE saying 962 and RTE and the official site saying 1,162 so someone is mistaken . As I rem there was no announcment at the game .
    In all honesty the 962 fugure seem the corrert one as the stand holds 800 - there were lots of empty seats - at least 100 and I really dont think there was more than 150 Drog fans on the terrrace opposite .
    Most alarming is the trend that seems to be developing . The official attendance at the Sligo match was 1267 . There were empty seats in the stand..even if there weren't -theres no way that 467 were standing on ground level .I have to surmise that the figure is being inflated . Its just not adding up - are the season ticket holders being counted twice???

Have to disagree with you on the crowd numbers.

The game against sligo was easily that amount. there where actually more than 800 in the stand due to the fact in both singing sections there was more than a man per seat (especially where sligo where) plus a lot of people standing up at the back and there where loads standing down at the railings and plenty in the standing area down to the left of our stand. You could see it on mns just how many there was standing in these areas. To me it was at least 3 to 400.

As for the other night. There was more than 200 drogs. Agree that there was probably about 700 to 750 in the stand and id say there was a good few again standing at the railing and the standing area. Might be able to see it again on mns.

I found that extratime can get the attendances wrong on a lot of occasions.

Gutted i missed the game,
    Hate saying il have to catch it on mns. damm night shifts are killing me!
    And il miss pats :mad:
    Lookin forward to galway doe,

flights 60euro return, 4* hotel,

3 lads b&b in a family room for 33euro a head,

drinkin till you drop . . . priceless!

There's some things you just have to do to support your football club, for everything else, theres mastercard!! :D

As for ''The Raven's''?? very GAA no?
    I think as far as the attendances are going, they include everyone there, that goes for the kids football teams at halftime. so each one of them make up one more for the attendance i guess!

Our club needs to start cementing itself in fingal history and the raven is part of that. Doesnt matter that a GAA team is called the Fingal Ravens IMO, we would be The Ravens, (the black army). I personally like it and guess time will tell whether it sticks or not. I can see homemade flags with a black raven on it and saying black army. I think it would look great and would add to the clubs identity. Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Orizio wrote: »
    How is 'The Ravens very GAA' and what would be wrong with that?

ur from cork not dublin, there is a gaa team called fingal ravens up the road in rolestown there nickname is "the ravens" because thery are fingal ravens.

we are sporting fingal, not sporting ravens:rolleyes: ravens is a terrible name for us if it sticks,

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

lads for all its worth i realy hope "the ravens" doesent stick, there is a gaa team in fingal in rolestown called fingal ravens, the are the "ravens"
    310338704a5609761765m.jpg

there crest is a raven:)

we are sporting fingal ( the super fingal:D) not ravens

Sporting_fingal_logo.png
    this is not a raven:p and if it is suposed to it must have been the winning drawing in the under 5's drawing campition:p

i like the crest, its our crest:)
    but its not a raven and i hope we are not called the ravens.

also, fingal ravens jersys are black and white it suits the ravens, ours is white and a bit of green

Both the Attendance and the man of the match were given on Extra time why it was changed i cannot tell you. As for the official site saying it was 1,162. If they state that as being the attendance then as the officials of the grounds they would have the right figures, i for one cannot count how many people are or are not at the grounds by looking around at empty seats or looking all the way accross the other side of the pitch.
    I have no reason to doubt the figure our club puts up.
    If you surmise that the figure is being inflated why not contact the club and express your concerns that mis-information is being posted on their web-site.

Btw i hope you enjoyed the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Nicknames have a habit of coming out naturally. Trying to force one over probably won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The figure posted on the Sporting Fingal website is the official figure sent in to the FAI.

Extratime.ie generally have a reporter there, but they should be getting the figure from the club. In saying that, it wouldn't be the first time that I've incorrect information on that website. In general though, their articles are very good.

Anyway, for anyone interested, I've picts from the game posted here.

Roll on next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Paulw wrote: »
    The figure posted on the Sporting Fingal website is the official figure sent in to the FAI.

Extratime.ie generally have a reporter there, but they should be getting the figure from the club. In saying that, it wouldn't be the first time that I've incorrect information on that website. In general though, their articles are very good.

Anyway, for anyone interested, I've picts from the game posted here.

Roll on next weekend.

It also said on that site that the Drogs had to stand in the cold and wet on teh far terrace. It wasnt raining during the match so i wonder where they get their info from as it clearly wasnt from anyone at the match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JRCC

Our club needs to start cementing itself in fingal history and the raven is part of that. Doesnt matter that a GAA team is called the Fingal Ravens IMO, we would be The Ravens, (the black army). I personally like it and guess time will tell whether it sticks or not. I can see homemade flags with a black raven on it and saying black army. I think it would look great and would add to the clubs identity. Just my opinion though.

What about The Foxes. After all, our mascot is a fox called Freddie...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement