Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Anyone can correct me if i'm wrong, but that is a Raven on our crest. A modern and less animated take on one but a Raven none the less. The Fingal county crest bears a Raven as does the Dublin county crest. This to my knowledge relates back to the Viking invasions as this was "their" symbol. I don't think being labelled "The Ravens" is a bad thing. Yes I know the GAA club are the Ravens too but i'm sure Shams weren't bothered being called "The Hoops" with Celtic and many others i'm sure having the same name. Leicester are called the foxes so on that premise you can't call us that :). The Raven is known as a guardian of the dead and on the Viking lines I think they held it as an omen of death. Having big flags done up (eventually) bearing Ravens will look great in the crowd. And "white with a bit of green"? How does it go? "BLACK ARMY".... Not arguing, just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

like i said i dont wanna get ahead of myself... nicknames should be natural and take time to grow on us... personally i think the raven is the most natural, given it appears on our crest and represents the fingal area....its for this same reason that the gaa club uses it.
    Our club is supposed to represent the community, the raven does this, our club is about co operating and engaging with all parts of the community, that includes the GAA. They should take it as a compliment and hopefully it would help young GAA players playing for/associated with that club identify with our soccer club....wearing a fingl ravens jersey = sporting fingal jersey! its all about community spirit lol

I DEFINITELY think that big black (even if theyr just plain) flags are a must. esp for the big atmospheric games.
    I think the raven and its connations could defintly be used to create a menacing and forboding atmosphere.

but anyways....come on the Fingal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

dsmythy wrote: »
    Nicknames have a habit of coming out naturally. Trying to force one over probably won't work.

To be honest, I dont think anybody is trying to force it. We are just talking about it. If its meant to be the ravens then it will stick, if not then it wont. I do agree that it should happen naturally and people discussing it may be part of that natural process.

lads for all its worth i realy hope "the ravens" doesent stick, there is a gaa team in fingal in rolestown called fingal ravens, the are the "ravens"
    310338704a5609761765m.jpg

there crest is a raven:)

we are sporting fingal ( the super fingal:D) not ravens

Sporting_fingal_logo.png
    this is not a raven:p and if it is suposed to it must have been the winning drawing in the under 5's drawing campition:p

i like the crest, its our crest:)
    but its not a raven and i hope we are not called the ravens.

also, fingal ravens jersys are black and white it suits the ravens, ours is white and a bit of green

I always took it as a raven and I dont see how it could be anything else unless there is some other bird synonymous with fingal. Better not be a pigeon:D

Liking that sig. by the way ;)

• Advertisement

ViperGTS wrote: »
    Liking that sig. by the way ;)

Didnt realise it was working. I cant see it when im logged in. I guess that blows my people are not forcing it argument right out of the water:D

edit: changed it. the other was a little too big. This one fits better.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Anyone can correct me if i'm wrong, but that is a Raven on our crest. A modern and less animated take on one but a Raven none the less. The Fingal county crest bears a Raven as does the Dublin county crest. This to my knowledge relates back to the Viking invasions as this was "their" symbol. I don't think being labelled "The Ravens" is a bad thing. Yes I know the GAA club are the Ravens too but i'm sure Shams weren't bothered being called "The Hoops" with Celtic and many others i'm sure having the same name. Leicester are called the foxes so on that premise you can't call us that :). The Raven is known as a guardian of the dead and on the Viking lines I think they held it as an omen of death. Having big flags done up (eventually) bearing Ravens will look great in the crowd. And "white with a bit of green"? How does it go? "BLACK ARMY".... Not arguing, just my opinion.

viper no offence but ur a fan this year, not the last to years:p other wise you would have known our away jersy this year was our home jersy the first two years:), its a realy dark green or black jersy make up ur own mind on that one but either way thats where " black army, what army" came from.... "white army,what army" sounds to alike when its shouted thats why it cant be changed.

either way lads no point in fighting on this 1:) i seem to be the only 1 who doesent like the ravens any every1 else on this page does and thats grand:)

lets hear ya's shout "THE RAVENS " insted of "THE FINGAL"
    at pats on friday night and again on monday in santry v rovers and we will see what happens:p

Being a fan this year or the 1st year has no relevance. I knew this season was the 1st season the white jersey was being used as the home one. (reason I bought the white one for the cup final ;)) I'm not of the opinion that we add being nicknamed the Ravens into any of our songs. We'll always be Sporting Fingal no matter what nickname we're given. Sligo are called the 'Bit o' Red' but I don't think i've ever heard them singin a song about it. It all doesn't really make a difference either way. Forums are all about expressing opinion, not forcing it. Don't think anyone has been "told" what the nickname of the club is.

Being a fan this year or the 1st year has no relevance. I knew this season was the 1st season the white jersey was being used as the home one. (reason I bought the white one for the cup final ;)) I'm not of the opinion that we add being nicknamed the Ravens into any of our songs. We'll always be Sporting Fingal no matter what nickname we're given. Sligo are called the 'Bit o' Red' but I don't think i've ever heard them singin a song about it. It all doesn't really make a difference either way. Forums are all about expressing opinion, not forcing it. Don't think anyone has been "told" what the nickname of the club is.

ur right being a fan for the first year has no relevance( hope we get many more this year) but when you say
    "white with a bit of green" ( my last post ) and then say how does it go "black army?" in other words trying to slag me;) i hav to set you straight:p

• Advertisement

Think ur gettin the wrong end of the stick here. I'm not 12 so the Black army bit wasn't me trying to "slag ya"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

Whether Viper is a new fan or not is irrelevent . We are all able to give ours views of this "Ravens" subject . Indeed if Viper is supporting the team this year I say- great-and hope we get many more like him . We need to grow the support base . ALL are welcome.

Think ur gettin the wrong end of the stick here. I'm not 12 so the Black army bit wasn't me trying to "slag ya"

"slag ya" was v childish on my part alright:D, couldent prase it better:p.

we should all meet up b4/after the match and talk about it :)

FINGAL FAN wrote: »
    Whether Viper is a new fan or not is irrelevent . We are all able to give ours views of this "Ravens" subject . Indeed if Viper is supporting the team this year I say- great-and hope we get many more like him . We need to grow the support base . ALL are welcome.

read the post properly b4 u reply to it, i was explaining about how we swoped our jersys from home and away etc...

i wasent saying he cant give views because its his first year as a fan.

I knew what ya meant, I wasn't tryin to have a pop at ya ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

i wasent saying he cant give views because its his first year as a fan.[/QUOTE]

Sorry John if I took you up wrong i'm just very keen to get the fanbase up.

we need it to get a good bit bigger alright, especily the away suport, but its defo up from last season.

pats hav never let in a goal this season, think we could get a few and get all 3 points,

The Pats game against Sligo was called off this morning. That'll give their players a good rest ahead of Friday. Was kinda hoping it'd be on.

watching mns there, the panel said fingal plat the most exciting football in the league so far but as well as makeing loads of chances we give the opposition loads of chances and that might haunt us,

remenber fingal v pats in the cup in our first year, we wer 2-0 up inside 15 mins:D but wer 2-3 down at h/t:( than a last min peno we made it 3-3:D

but lost 2-0 in in the replay

well we will beat them in Inchacore this friday:D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Didnt realise it was working. I cant see it when im logged in.
    If you go into your User CP, click on "Edit Options" in the "Settings and Options" box about half way down the left hand side.

In the "Thread Display Options" click on the box to "Show Signatures" (unfortunately it then means you have to look at mine and everyone else's also:))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Good to see Freddie getting a mention on MNS :)

Let the media call us what they want regarding the nickname.Its a Raven on the crest so thats why we get called The Ravens by some papers. Im not keen on it myself and have got quite attached to the Franchise name :).
    If we could do a bit of jumping up and down and sing a bit more throughout the games then our fans could be called the Raving Ravens :D

I can see a big flag with Raving Ravens on tour on it. :D

Can i just ask gents that nobody takes any of the on board disagreements to heart cos its just a bit of friendly banter.
    Does everyone know who's who on here ? I know to see most on here apart from the Nightmare chap. I couldnt miss Viper as he walked past me with the drum :)

u know me alright, im the p***K with the longhair :D

dont think any1 takes it to heart, its just the way post sumtimes seems to have venom in it:p

u know me alright, im the p***K with the longhair :D

With a fingal shirt and used to go to games with his mrs/girlfriend/friend/sister etc ? I shouted out your name at the bohs match last week at half time when you was stood at the pitch side hordings :)

With a fingal shirt and used to go to games with his mrs/girlfriend/friend/sister etc ? I shouted out your name at the bohs match last week at half time when you was stood at the pitch side hordings :)

yeah girlfriend, she cant go to the matches any more cause of work so i go with "the singing lads" now:D

there was feck all fingal supporters at that match dnt kno how i dident hear ya

I was standing right behind ye with the famous Lamper :)

was it 3 of yous and one of you wer a english lad

Cheeky #'#'#''# ,

• Advertisement

not cheeky, just makeing sure it was the right people;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement