Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

we all dream of a team of Ronan finns, a team of Ronan Finns, a team of Ronan Finns... and no.1 is Ronan Finn and no.2 is Ronan Finn..................... you all know the rest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Thats a good win. Not many teams will take all 3 points away from sligo. Hopefully we can follow it up with a win against Bray on tuesday. A nice little lift after the bohs defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

We drew the home leg of that tie so with 2 games gone in the second series of matches we are up 2 points from the first series at this stage.

We drew the home leg of that tie so with 2 games gone in the second series of matches we are up 2 points from the first series at this stage.

Lets hope we can get the same results against Bray and Drogheda that we got in the first phase. It would really push us up the table.

Does anybody know how we lined up against Sligo? Seems O Neil didnt start and did Mc Faul play in Defence? Looks like O Neil was on the bench.

Just going by loi website. Shows the line-up but not who played where?

SPORTING FINGAL - D Quigley; G O'Brien, S McFaul, S Paisley (capt) (B Gannon 50), S Williams; K Browne, C Byrne (K Dawson 87), R Finn, Kirby; G Crowe (G O'Neill 80), E Zayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sporting60s

Does anybody know how we lined up against Sligo? Seems O Neil didnt start and did Mc Faul play in Defence? Looks like O Neil was on the bench.

Just going by loi website. Shows the line-up but not who played where?

SPORTING FINGAL - D Quigley; G O'Brien, S McFaul, S Paisley (capt) (B Gannon 50), S Williams; K Browne, C Byrne (K Dawson 87), R Finn, Kirby; G Crowe (G O'Neill 80), E Zayed.
    ...............quigs
    o'brien.paiso.browne.williams
    byrne.finn.mcfaul..kirby.zayed.
    ............crowe...........
    one up at half time by a decent strike by finn,williams was raped at left full,crowe was very poor as the lone striker,as was byrne on the wing,browne and o'brien were superb in defence,we were battered in the second half, with browne getting a red card,gannon pulling a hamstring,after paiso being carried off on a stretcher,all in all,what a great result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's going to be very tough tomorrow. Almost all of the back row are missing - Frost (hamstring), Maher (knee), Paisley, Browne (suspended), etc. It'll be a very tough game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

have to say after reading the previous post that was some win!
    after reading the following one by paul, looks like we are in for tough battle to keep a clean sheet tomorrow night.
    anybody know what the crack is with clarke not getting a start in the last few games?

...............quigs
    o'brien.paiso.browne.williams
    byrne.finn.mcfaul..kirby.zayed.
    ............crowe...........
    one up at half time by a decent strike by finn,williams was raped at left full,crowe was very poor as the lone striker,as was byrne on the wing,browne and o'brien were superb in defence,we were battered in the second half, with browne getting a red card,gannon pulling a hamstring,after paiso being carried off on a stretcher,all in all,what a great result.

Ah Sporting60's, ya found us. Nice to have you on Board. Cheers for the info.

Williams at left back:confused:. Thats a new one. When I seen the line-up I presumed we had moved Mc Faul into the back four. I guess he will have to do it now.
    Starting to feel like last year when we had feck all defenders fit. I had a feeling only having 3 recognised central defenders would come back to haunt us. We hav nt had a chance to have a settled back four all season. One of the reasons we have conceded as much as we have I guess.

So im guessing Lorcan is back for the Bray game, so it will be him and O brien in the fullback positions. Mc Faul and Who? Maybe James will fit in at right back with O Brien moving to a central position:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Just before I got to the end of your post Lamper I was thinkin Colly James at right full and O'Brien at centre half. You can't really blame Williams with him not being a full back. Look a Mascherano playin right full against Chelsea. Lookin at Clarke warmin up on the line and that the last few games i'd presume he's fit. I think Quigley has impressed at times and maybe Buckley hasn't found reason to drop him yet. The only thing Clarke has as a big advantage is his accuracy with his kicking. Looking doubtful for me for tomorrow :(

ViperGTS wrote: »
    Just before I got to the end of your post Lamper I was thinkin Colly James at right full and O'Brien at centre half. You can't really blame Williams with him not being a full back. Look a Mascherano playin right full against Chelsea. Lookin at Clarke warmin up on the line and that the last few games i'd presume he's fit. I think Quigley has impressed at times and maybe Buckley hasn't found reason to drop him yet. The only thing Clarke has as a big advantage is his accuracy with his kicking. Looking doubtful for me for tomorrow :(

The galway game was reason enough to drop Quigley. If memory serves me right, he was not looking very good in the Dundalk game as well. Quigley is a very good shot stopper but his handling and distribution are very shaky at times. From what iv seen from clarke this season, his handling has been great and his distribution just as good. He just seems a better all round keeper. Id be much more confident in our ability to keep a clean sheet if clarke was in goals. Still its nice to have good competition in all positions including the keepers slot. Nobody is guaranteed there place and thats a good thing.

Maybe Clarke can play at center back:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Just off the phone to Bucko. We won 2-1 aet today and he must have been out watchin. Sending the papers round in the morning. Looks like I might make it tomorrow after all ;)

With the keeper situation, both are very good in goals. I also think Clarke is slightly better. But, Buckley won't drop Quigley unless he makes some big mistakes. He got his chance since Clarke was injured. So far, while he's let a few in, he hasn't made any drastic mistakes. But, I'm sure that there will be a rotation in goals, from time to time.

It will be interesting to see how they line out tonight. As soon as I get the team sheet, I'll post. (approx 7pm)

just spent last 40 minutes typing up and editing a post on the goal keeping situation and then i got logged off:mad: probably for the best it was a rant.
    Suffice to say i think that Clarke should be in goals as opposed to waiting for Quigley to make a serious error...
    Looking forward to tonight a bit of live footie mid week is always welcome
    Anyone see Crowe's miss on MNS last night :eek:

Very bad miss, from a striker. But, a very good effort from the keeper to get across to save it. From that range though, Crowe should have put the ball through the back of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

As John Motson would say, "oh deary me". I'd say that kept him awake on Saturday night.

Not so sure Quigley is all bad but its noticeable in defence with Clarke in Goal as you can hear him shouting instructions. Quigley is too quiet I think.

Difficult game tonight as Paul said, lots of people out.

Paulw wrote: »
    With the keeper situation, both are very good in goals. I also think Clarke is slightly better. But, Buckley won't drop Quigley unless he makes some big mistakes. He got his chance since Clarke was injured. So far, while he's let a few in, he hasn't made any drastic mistakes. But, I'm sure that there will be a rotation in goals, from time to time.

It will be interesting to see how they line out tonight. As soon as I get the team sheet, I'll post. (approx 7pm)

I know I said it previously but believe me, he had a howler in galway. Still doesnt look comfortable under the high ball. I also think it was the Dundalk game when there was an easy catch from a nothing cross and he droped it. I think the defense is more on edge when he is in goals. I think Clarke brings more confidence to the defense which is a very important attribute. Just what i think anyway.

Looking forward to tonight, The return of Robbie:eek::D. Hopefully a good 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The return of Robbie:eek::D.

Alas, no Bray friend. :(

Rockee wrote: »
    Alas, no Bray friend. :(

What:eek: Im not going:mad:

The team is as follows 1- Quigley, 2 - O'Brien, 3 - fitzgerald, 4 - Williams, 5 - Dawson, 6 - McFaul, 7 - Byrne, 8 - Finn, 9 - Crowe, 10 - Kirby and 11 - Zayed

Posted earlier from my phone.

They lined out as follows -

Quigley
    Dawson O'Brien Williams Fitzgerald
    McFaul Finn Kirby
    Byrne Crowe Zayed

They dragged out a win. They should have scored more, and could have let in one or two.

But, some good play, good passing, and a win is a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

I think the best description for last night was a sloppy win. Could have and should have scored more but took the 1-0.

It's 3 points, nice goal and some good play during the game. In fairness the 2 temporary centre backs(Williams and O'Brien) gave a good account of themselves, to be honest better than i thought they would. Williams distribution at times was a marvel to watch.
    However there seems to be a tactic that has crept its way into our team this season and it is simply that when we get a goal we sit back. We play it around too much in midfield allowing the opposition time to re-group get their heads together and come at us.
    I also believe that while we play these tactics we are not solid enough to keep out the equaliser and then put ourselves under pressure to get the second, which we struggle to find.
    We are in third with Boh's the only team with a game in hand that can over take us. We are only 4 points off the top, we have only been beaten twice in the league, albiet by the same team. And two wins since been beaten by Boh's.
    Still i walked out of there last night thinking we should have had more goals, we should have finished them off...
    Bring on the Drogs...

Glen Crowe, amazing box to box player.

Snack box to Family box.

Crowe didn't have a bad game last night. He held the ball up well and made a few chances. He certainly played his part.

I think Kevin Dawson played quite well as a back. Not his position at all, but he controlled the ball well, and didn't make too many mistakes.

In general, the team played quite well, but, they just seem to lack the ability to score and kill a game off. The chances are there, week in and week out. That killer instinct just isn't up front.

The backs and midfield control and spread the ball, but up front, we just need someone who can put the ball in the net. A poacher, a striker, someone with that finish.

Another dirty win, but another 3 points.

In case anyone is interested, images here.

Crowe didn't have a bad game last night. He held the ball up well and made a few chances. He certainly played his part.

Each to their own I suppose but myself and the 5 friends of mine I had sitting beside me thought he was diabolical. Didnt seem interested at the best of times.

The shouts that went up when Gary O'Neill came on for Crowe spoke volumes as to who the crowd wanted to see up front. Consequently O'Neill hassled, harried and almost set up a 2nd goal right at the death...and he was on the pitch Id say all of 5-10 mins?

I do agree that O'Neill is a much more active and chasing player. But, he's younger than Crowe. ;) Crowe did a good bit of chasing across the front during the game. With the number of games and competitions, it's only right that there is going to be a good bit of squad rotation.

Something for note - this Friday, at Drogheda, will be Conan Byrne's 100th consequtive appearance for the club. Not a bad record to have.

Something for note - this Friday, at Drogheda, will be Conan Byrne's 100th consequtive appearance for the club. Not a bad record to have.

Now that is cool! :D I expect to be in attendance on Friday. Hoping for 3 points, though with the way the league is going this year I wouldnt take anything for granted. The Drogs are only one spot above Bray but as was shown last night, each team can give a good game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JRCC

Something for note - this Friday, at Drogheda, will be Conan Byrne's 100th consequtive appearance for the club. Not a bad record to have.[/QUOTE]

Cracking commitment from that lad, i know it has not been his best start this season, but he will soon sort that, thought he played a bit better there last night. And in fairness the lad has been outstanding for us from the beginning so he is allowed a dip now and again would be great to see him cap that stat with a goal.
    Great player. Great Stat.

• Advertisement

I do agree that O'Neill is a much more active and chasing player. But, he's younger than Crowe. ;) Crowe did a good bit of chasing across the front during the game. With the number of games and competitions, it's only right that there is going to be a good bit of squad rotation.

I thought it was a more lively performance from Crowe than has been since the season started, its not an easy role up there on his own as we tend to drop back to 4-5-1, but i have to add he has dissapointed me so far just want the lad to put one in and start the ball rolling, was hoping that was his goal last night but denied by offside from a flag happy linesman.(thats not to say it wasn't could not see it clearly, but a few he did flag were yards onside)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement