Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3/4 month old sick bunny

Options
  • 22-12-2007 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

My neibhour keeps rabbits and he has 3 bunnys now he bread and kept, However One has become ill and has an unusual tilt in its head! The other two bunnys are fine, He asked a friend that also keeps rabbits and he said the only thing that can be done is have the little fella put asleep, I would nearly take it home and keep him as a pet and see if it heals all by itself but in the long term Will it ever get better by itself? The little pet dosn't seem to be in any pain and is quite happy going around eating and drinking as normal.

Is there Any Vet people on here? what do you recommend'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

If the rabbit is still eating and drinking then he is able to cope and survive.....eventually it will probally mean that he won't live as long a life as a normal bunny but it shouldn't hinder him too much, I don't think, but then that depends on what it is due to. In my opinion if the bunny doesn't appear to be in pain, is not particularly distressed and is still eating and drinking then it should be given a vet check-up and then (depending on results of course) be at least allowed an attempt at leading a semi-normal life. Sometimes it can be cured but it depends on the cause. An ear infection seems a common reason and if this is so perhaps your friend should check his other bunnies out as well incase they have an outer ear infection that could lead to an inner one.

Here are a couple of websites that might help ::D

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/jilly.shtml

And good luck ! Hope the bunny feels much better

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Hi thanks for your speedy reply :)
    My friends other bunnys all look well, I will speak to my friend later toay and give him the advice, I browsed through the links you gave me and I think he should definitly take him to the vet to determin what the cause is.. thanks alot for your help

Merry christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

It sounds like a middle ear infection to me, my advice would be to get the rabbit to a vet, if it is an ear infection, it should be treatable with antibiotics (topical or systemic), if it doesn't clear up, it may be something more sinister like a neurological defect, although, if the rabbit seems happy and is eating and drinking that might not be the end of the world, it may resolve by itself. The vet might offer to x-ray the skull to see if there is anything amis, but definately, don't jump to any conclusions until the rabbit has a full check up!!

Hi Ruby, My friend was working all day and I took it on myself to go to his mothers house and bring the pet to the Vet.. He thinks himself it is an inner section ear infection and he gave me some antibiotics to inject into the little fella once today and 3 more over the next few days, looks handy enough to do I hope it will do the bunny some good. Thanks everyone for your comments and advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ear infection usually clear up very well with the anitbotics - the bunny should be grand in a few days.

Good on you for taking a sick animal to the vet!

• Advertisement

Hopfuly now thats all it is.. He realy is a nice bunny iv never seen one with the colours he has... A light Brown, with all white under neeth and dark brown stripes going accros his back. Fingers crossed he will pull through

Advertisement