Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any 5th years ( besides 6th years ) have christmas exams?

Options
  • 22-12-2007 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Any 5th years have christmas exams this year? How did ye get on? and what did ye have to do?

English: essay in class test, actual exam: longley or bishop essay and macbeth question Prediction: B1/A2

Irish:coras slainte essay, poetry question on either gealt or nil aon ni, a question on fiche bliain ag fas and a leamhthuiscint Prediction: A2/A1 if im lucky!

Maths: 2 algebra and 2 trig questions Prediction: B3...B1 if im lucky twas tough!

French: 2 higher level comprehensions and a qu'en pensez- vous on les banlieues de Paris and a diary entry Result: 81%, found out from my teacher that i didnt do great on the comprehensions but did brill in my 220 word qu'en pensez-vous and I did find the comprehensions hard, but sure Im only in 5th year and they were higher level so a B1 in a practically full paper aint bad if you ask me!

Chemistry: 4 questions on structure of atom, rates of reaction, ethanoic acid titration and a acid/ bases periodic table mix respectively Prediction: A1

Biology: 2 out of three lab experiments qs... 4 out of 6 long on food, the cell, ecology, cell movement, cell division, enzymes Prediction: A2/A1

Geography: 10 shorts, 4 out of 5 longs on regions,2 qs social/ population, plate tectonics, coastal action Prediction B3...B1 it was way too long!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i had tests!! an hour and a half each!! Most of em were grand, no real idea on results tho, id say a b3 or higher in all.

English, 2 macbethh questions, do one. Mahon or Montague, do one

Irish; questions on stair na gaeilge, cearrrbach mac caba and faoiseamh na gheobshadsa

Maths, few leaving cert questions, whatever we had done up to trig 1, did well, but depends how the teacher marrks it, other honours teacher did out the test and we hadnt covered one of the q's

French, Comprehension and 2info retrievals, then abit of writing about aloada different things!1

Tech Drawing; made a testi's of the exam but knew how to do everything and turned out well in the end. Q's on oblique plane, conic sections, intersecting planes and skew lines

Physics, no one had enough time to finish the test. i did in the last second tho, questions on light and mechanics

Applied Maths, Same teacher as pyhsics, no time to get everything done, did wellish, a1/a2 maybe, hard test!! Aloada q's taken from papers from the 60's etc

I think for me they went well anyway, shows up where the work is needed, and have to make sure most of them dont end up being night before jobs again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

We did our tests in class so it was pretty much a half hour per 'paper'. They started on Nov. 26th and ended on Dec. 13th so we got them back long before reports were issued. All higher level:

Maths - A - 95%
    Algebra and trigonometry. I thought it was a considerably easy test but apparently it didn't go down too well with the rest of the class. Only a few people got a B or more and I think a few people failed. I think I got top of the class.

Physics - A - 92%
    Light and mechanics. I did better than I had originally expected. May or may not have been top of the class on this one. :)

History - A - 86%
    I think I got the best result in this as well. Short questions were a but harsh I though and I came out with a B3 in that test but managed to pull myself up with 100% in the documents and essay question. :)

LCVP - Whatever the Hell they use for the top mark
    92% in Enterprise Education and 100% in Careers. Common sense really.

Chemistry - B - 71%
    Rates of reaction, titrations, a bit of molarity and electron configuration as far as I can recall. Didn't do nearly as well as I'd hoped. Everybody was down from their average on this so I'll just take comfort in that fact.

Irish - 61% - C
    Couple of poems, a comprehension, Clare sa Spéir and grammar as far as I can recall. I thought I'd failed so I was pretty happy about it. I might stick at higher level a bit longer.

French - 57% - C
    Listening, comprehension and an oral which did not go very well. I can't think hold a conversation in English so I must certainly can't do it in French. I would have preferred it if I wasn't corrected or assisted everytime I paused to think and react. Very big WTF vocabulary correction too wherein I said there was a bookshop in my town but she decided I meant library (which there also happens to be).

English - 50% - D
    I was only about a 1/4 way through it when she said "eight minutes". If I pick up the pace I'll be grand.

Applied Maths - 0% - NG
    I don't do it in school. There was no test LOLOLOLOL.

They were decent in my opinion. I would've studied a bit more often than just the break/night before but they didn't seem to mind giving us piles of homework during the tests. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Jaysus our exams were 2 hours 20 minutes and there was about 160 of us in our pe hall...3rd 5th and 6th years.The rest were scattered around other class rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Had mine this and last week. Finished now!

Irish - Had oral, listening, pros and poetry in class. Then had a comprehension and aiste to do for the exam. Don't think I did too well in this... Dropping to pass after Christmas though.

English - The exam got leaked so we were mostly prepared. I only found out the Macbeth one. Didn't have enough time so my answer for one of the questions was I like the poets use of imagery and gave 3 quotes.

Maths - Went really well. Didn't bother with probability.

French - Was longer than expected. Loads of comprehensions and then 2 notes at the end.

Physics - 3 experiment questions followed by 3 long questions.

Chemistry - Just a few long questions. Did well.

Biology - I was finished this in an hour... Really boring test. Mostly short answer questions. The long answer ones were really short too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

I'm in fourth year and you guessed it, we had exams. They were even held "formally", i.e., 200 of us in the hall. Luckily, we only had them in Maths, Irish, English and French/German. Each exam had a duration of 1.5 hours.
    We have Chemistry in class after Christmas.

I'm a bit pissed off about having exams, but meh, it's fourth year.

Didn't study - we'll see!

English H - First half of LC HL paper 1 (comprehension and persuasive writing) -not great. Should have studied. A2-B2
    Irish H - Simple enough. Essay, two comprehesions and a bit of grammar.
    B2-B1
    Maths H - First algebra chapter, matrices and bit of first trigonometry chaper - simple. Finished in about 35-40 minutes. Best subject. A1

French H - tough comprehension, grammar, written piece - fairly good. A1/A2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I take it my school is the only school that just fits them into the regular timetable and does them in class. We didn't stop getting homework until Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

(Predicted Grades;))

English: 2 Macbeth questions, do 1. Unseen Poetry.Comprehension. B1/A2

Maths: Trigonometry , Algebra, Differentiation and Co-ordinate geometry: A1

French: 2 Essay style Questions, 2 comprehensions, a listening comprehension. B1/A2

Physics: Heat, mechanics and some optic experiments. A1

Chemistry. Loads of stuff. The teacher told me I got 95%:D

Geography: Plate tectonics, Earthquakes and volcano's, Rock cycle. A2/A1

Irish. Dropping down to ordinary after I get my result:o

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

I had mine last week, messed up in irish and english, french was ok, the rest were reasonably easy;) I had quite similar tests to the ones above aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I did fairly well considering I didn't do as much study as I said I would. Had mine a couple of weeks ago

Maths: 85% - All on Trigonometry. Four questions worth 20 marks each. It was fairly easy but I didn't read the questions properly, which caused me to not finish one off which lost me 5 marks and another question I just made a meal of and only got 3 marks. Full marks for the other 2.

English: 57% - A Macbeth question which I didn't study. My own fault really. Got an essay in there as well which I feel was harshly marked. Was fairly good when I read back over it. Oh well.

Irish: 60% - Again a very harshly marked essay. I got a question on Cearrbhach Mac Caba which I did well on. A few pointless translations from Fiuntas 1 for those who have it and a listening comprehension. Overall I'm happy with the result.

German: 78% - I am absolutely delighted with this result considering I only got a D in Junior Cert Higher Level and am continuing on at Higher Leaving Cert at least for now. I had a listening comprehension which was very easy. I got a reading comprehension with short questions and a written piece based on the comprehension. I then had another comprehension with just short questions. The final question was based on an Ireland theme we had covered in class. It asked me what tourists should see. Typical food and drink. Typical Irish and typical German and what Irish do in their free time.

Chemistry: 61% - 12 short questions of which I answered 10 right. Screwed up royally on the long questions though and failed to finish it. Lack of study was the cause as well I suppose

Geography: 88% - Average of the 3 tests I have done this term. First one was on Plate Tectonics (95%), the 2nd was on Volcanoes (90%) and the 3rd was on Rivers(80%). All 3 were ridiculously easy

Accounting: 100% - Very easy test where I had a choice of three questions and had to answer two. I had a choice of a Cash Budget, Club Accounts and Final Accounts for a Sole Trader. I did the 1st and the 3rd ones. Both balanced out perfectly (although I had issues with the Sole Trader question for a while, but had plenty of time left) and thus getting me full marks on the whole exam. Delighted nonetheless.

Those results look excellent, but take into consideration the level of difficulty in some exams and I got a bit lucky. The harder tests (Chemistry, English, Irish) were due to a lack of study, and I consider myself fairly lucky to get the results I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah had mine and think I did pretty bad, results won't be out until after Christmas.

Luckily I was off on Tuesday, meaning I'll have nearly 3 weeks off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Predicted Grades

errr.....yea:cool:

English ...

a comprehension , a question on Philadelphia here i come and a question on poetry ...B

French..
    a comprehension:confused:
    2 paragraph 75mots each on pollution and on returning to school
    and an letter
    oral...we will do it after xmas
    B if i was lucky enuff

maths

exam paper question ..on

differentiation
    integration
    complex number and matrices
    ehhh 95-98 around that?

Business
    everything we ve done so FAR its like half of the book!!
    12 short questions, um, 2 long questions
    around 90

accounting
    club acc and revaluation a/c
    100 i hope ...><

home ec
    12 short questions one long question (80marks) AND 2 long questions (60marks) so long
    around 90

applied maths
    didnt have a test but we will do it after xmas =( i d so fail that

ehh, i dun do irish ><

Advertisement