Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Ford Transit opinion?

Options
  • 22-12-2007 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Anybody got any opinions on the new Ford Transit? Reliable? Fuel economy? Comfort? Am thinking of trading my Trafic for one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Transit ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I wouldn't have gone past a transit either until I drove a ducato for about 3 weeks with work and I was very pleasantly surprised.

I thought at best it would be as good as a transit and who cares anyway- it's only a van.

Way more power as standard, much nicer to drive, less cabin noise, less revvy and I've been told by our service guy, lighter on fuel.

We have a fleet of mainly ducatos and generally nothing much goes wrong with them and they're a much better experience compared to the transit overall IMO.

If it's definitely a transit you want, I'd get one of the 6 speed models with a higher powered engine for the sake of your sanity, especially if you are using it for high mileage over load lugging.

(PS- i know about 1000 people are about to disagree)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

there basically bulletproof as they have carried the same engine for over 30 years. diesel are more likable but just make sure you don't get glass windows on the rear doors.

they rust like hell... like most vans so thats the only real problem.... also gearbox's and clutches are what transits eat...

if you buy a french van instead , get a Renault kangoo.... its reliable or a Nissan primastar ( same van as its opel and Renault brothers. )

juist dont by Anything italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

S.I.R wrote: »
    there basically bulletproof as they have carried the same engine for over 30 years. diesel are more likable but just make sure you don't get glass windows on the rear doors.

they rust like hell... like most vans so thats the only real problem.... also gearbox's and clutches are what transits eat...

if you buy a french van instead , get a Renault kangoo.... its reliable or a Nissan primastar ( same van as its opel and Renault brothers. )

I disagree with pretty much everything here.

The 2.2 2.4 and 3.2 Duratorq engines are common rail, and haven't been used for anything like 30 years.
    Diesel engines are the only option available on the transit.

In my experience, rust is only a problem on load floors from the paint being stripped off due to no ply lining, or from drivers damaging exterior panels and not repairing them.

Any van will go through clutches if not driven properly. there are plenty of Trafic's out there that have given geabox and clutch problems.

To rule out the Ducato on the basis that it's Italian is ill informed. Fiat make very good vans, which don't give the same type of problems as their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I wouldnt buy a Transit again, I bought one new in 2004 and spent more time out of work because of it.By 30k miles I had replaced 3 wheel bearings and the clutch master cylinder twice along with dodgy central locking and constantly replacing bulbs...Mine was a 2l turbo and there was more power in my lawnmower. Bucket of ****e....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

S.I.R wrote: »

You really have some unfounded hatred of Fiat Group vehicles, don't you (as theres no other Italian van maker). Care to explain why, did a Ritmo beat you as a child, or a Tempra chase you around on your bike or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

there nice to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

2qk4u wrote: »
    I wouldnt buy a Transit again, I bought one new in 2004 and spent more time out of work because of it.By 30k miles I had replaced 3 wheel bearings and the clutch master cylinder twice along with dodgy central locking and constantly replacing bulbs...Mine was a 2l turbo and there was more power in my lawnmower. Bucket of ****e....

The new model is complete luxury compared to anything that went before it. We use one as an ambulance and the difference between the 98 and the 07 is unbelievable. The 6 speed is great. It pulls well and doesn't struggle at speed like the older one.

I was involved in the buying of a van last year and ruled out the Transit based on the existing ambulance used for a different organisation.My veto held and a Sprinter was the final purchase. I've driven the Sprinter and it's a massive yoke but there's absolutely no shortage of power.

Would have no problem recommending either vehicle!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

2qk4u wrote: »
    Mine was a 2l turbo and there was more power in my lawnmower.

Was it the 85PS version cause they are pathetic but the 100PS is a huge improvement but 125 is way better again As for reliability they're not any worse then the rest of the vans around I know one guy with a Caddy in 06 who literally spent more time driving another van cause it spent so much time in the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hi Cormie! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

The work you do should dictate the van you buy if a flower delivery guy get a fiat but watch the sliding doors they give loads of trouble. Opels, Nissans and Renaults Will def require a new gear box after 60,000 mies.
    best of them either the tnsporter, hiace or transit if you going to have a trailer behind it a lot or you going to be carrying a heavy load go for something rear wheel drive.
    I have new transit ordered for jan its the 110 bhp mwb

Advertisement