Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Differnet sized tyres on car

Options
  • 22-12-2007 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Currently i have 2 sets of tyres - one are 225x45x18 and the others are 225x40x18.

I have the 40's on the front and the 45's on the back.

What i need to know is

1) is this safe?

2) Will having 'smaller' tyres mean my odomoter does more mileage? (more tyre cycles per kilometer)

3) if it does, will it be by much?

I've ordered two new tyres same size as the 40's, but I'd just like to know for the future.

Thanks,
    Trig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This is one of the million questions I've asked on this forum before;)

Click for good discussion:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055091914&highlight=tyre

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Triangle wrote: »
    2) Will having 'smaller' tyres mean my odomoter does more mileage? (more tyre cycles per kilometer)

Trig

It depends on which wheels your car is taking the odometer reading from.
    If the smaller ones are in front, your car is front wheel drive it will probably add a tiny bit extra. There is a tyre size calculator somewhere on the web that can work out the % extra milage. I think its on page 2 of this site http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

There is a lot of reading in this but everything you need to know should be in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depends on what size tyres the car came with originally. What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

5mm difference wont cause nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Plug wrote: »
    5mm difference wont cause nothing.
    Does that mean it will cause something? :confused:

And it's 5%, not 5mm. In this case, that's 11.25mm.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Would I be right in guessing that neither of those sized tyres came with the car? What car is it and what sized wheel's and tyres did it come with?
    It's not unsafe to have a different sized wheel on the front axel to the rear. It would be unwise to have a different sized tyre on each side of the same axel. Also, if the car is 4wd you should keep all four wheels and tyres the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

It depends on which wheels your car is taking the odometer reading from.
    If the smaller ones are in front, your car is front wheel drive it will probably add a tiny bit extra. There is a tyre size calculator somewhere on the web that can work out the % extra milage. I think its on page 2 of this site http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

There is a lot of reading in this but everything you need to know should be in this.

thanks dermo123 thats some nice info.

plug,
    i thought the same, never knew it was a %

Biro,
    bought it 2nd hand but i believe it came with the 45's as the previousa owner did everything through the dealer (mazda rx8)

cheers for the feedback all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

What was originally fitted to the car?

Anything different may have several effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Triangle wrote: »
    Currently i have 2 sets of tyres - one are 225x45x18 and the others are 225x40x18.

I have the 40's on the front and the 45's on the back.

What i need to know is

1) is this safe?

I've ordered two new tyres same size as the 40's, but I'd just like to know for the future.

Thanks,
    Trig

This is a profile issue. I think have the 40 profile on one axle of the car will affect your ride only i think.
    A 45 profile is probably more easy on your ride (confort) than the 40, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

This is a profile issue. I think have the 40 profile on one axle of the car will affect your ride only i think.
    A 45 profile is probably more easy on your ride (confort) than the 40, but each to their own.

niceirishfella,
    Yeah I thought i was getting 45's, to be honest I like the look of the 45's better. there was a mix up in ordering them and i couldn't wait a couple of weeks before fitting replacement tyres.
    Anyways, thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement