Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

junior air rifle

Options
  • 22-12-2007 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Hi,i am 14 and i was just wondering if there are any junior target shooting clubs.I have read the firears act,I have enqired to the garda about a licence and I have enquired about where to get one.any help would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hi,i am 14 and i was just wondering if there are any junior target shooting clubs.I have read the firears act,I have enqired to the garda about a licence and I have enquired about where to get one.any help would be great!

Think you have to be 16 to get a licence or even use a firearm.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Wilkinstown Target Shooting Club have continually produced a great crop of juniors over the last couple of years. It's a bit of a hike from Templeogue, but if you can get a lift out there with any sort of regularity I'd recommend them. WTSC have loads of experience coaching juniors (from absolute beginner to the highest standard) and a decent selection of club kit.

Sparks should better advice about contacting WTSC than I would.

You certainly have to be 16 to get a firearm, I don't know about use under supervision. I could have sworn that there were shooters younger than 16[1] coming out of WTSC and they're not the kind of club that would even bend the rules never mind break them. Again, Sparks should know the current situation better than I do.

[1] I don't shoot air rifle so I wasn't really paying much attention. All I know is that there were some young shooters from WTSC who were kicking ass in the various air rifle competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

IRLConor wrote: »
    Wilkinstown Target Shooting Club have continually produced a great crop of juniors over the last couple of years. It's a bit of a hike from Templeogue, but if you can get a lift out there with any sort of regularity I'd recommend them. WTSC have loads of experience coaching juniors (from absolute beginner to the highest standard) and a decent selection of club kit.

Sparks should better advice about contacting WTSC than I would.

You certainly have to be 16 to get a firearm, I don't know about use under supervision. I could have sworn that there were shooters younger than 16[1] coming out of WTSC and they're not the kind of club that would even bend the rules never mind break them. Again, Sparks should know the current situation better than I do.

[1] I don't shoot air rifle so I wasn't really paying much attention. All I know is that there were some young shooters from WTSC who were kicking ass in the various air rifle competitions.

cheers man will loo into it!

I think they have their open competition on the 19th/20th of January if you're interested in having a look and meeting plenty of shooters.

Their website is here.

I think they have their open competition on the 19th/20th of January if you're interested in having a look and meeting plenty of shooters.

Their website is here.

again,cheers man:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Anywhere in Dublin? I'm 16

For air rifle in Dublin, the only places I know are the two college clubs: DURC and UCDRC. For both you need to be a current or former student of the relevant university.

I don't shoot air rifle, but as far as I know there are three clubs that supply virtually all of the competitors for most matches: WTSC, DURC and UCDRC. There may be the odd shooter from other clubs that I'd miss though, perhaps some airgun shooters here could comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nuts, missed this thread till now. Yes, if you're within driving range of Wilkinstown, we do train juniors (and yes, it's legal, as they're club firearms and the legislation has no problems with this). Drop by, talk to Geoff, give it a try. I've lost count of the number of juniors that have gone on to seriously good performances in air rifle from WTSC. IRLConor's right, in that we have pretty limited sources for shooters - DURC, UCDRC, WTSC form the bulk, we have gotten occasional shooters from DRC, RRPC, the Kingdom club, and a few others; the Pony Club has been a major source of shooters as well, but they tend to be funnelled through one of the above clubs before they hit our competitions. Air pistol should see this expand though, and RRPC are working on getting more air rifle people as well; they're building their own 10m range at the moment (or may have finished, I'm not sure).

Sparks wrote: »
    RRPC are working on getting more air rifle people as well; they're building their own 10m range at the moment (or may have finished, I'm not sure).

They had at least one lane on electronics last time I was down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

They had at least one lane on electronics last time I was down.

Yep - we have two dedicated 10m lanes separate from the 25m range. One is a Megalink electronic target and the other is a paper target changer.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Nuts, missed this thread till now. Yes, if you're within driving range of Wilkinstown, we do train juniors (and yes, it's legal, as they're club firearms and the legislation has no problems with this). Drop by, talk to Geoff, give it a try. I've lost count of the number of juniors that have gone on to seriously good performances in air rifle from WTSC. IRLConor's right, in that we have pretty limited sources for shooters - DURC, UCDRC, WTSC form the bulk, we have gotten occasional shooters from DRC, RRPC, the Kingdom club, and a few others; the Pony Club has been a major source of shooters as well, but they tend to be funnelled through one of the above clubs before they hit our competitions. Air pistol should see this expand though, and RRPC are working on getting more air rifle people as well; they're building their own 10m range at the moment (or may have finished, I'm not sure).
    what age does it start at.oh and if i was to purchase one,wouldnt i need a licence but thats not possible because im 14

if i was to purchase one,wouldnt i need a licence but thats not possible because im 14

Even if you were able to purchase and license a rifle I would advise against it for the moment anyway. It's much better to have the freedom to try out different club kit and get a feel for what you like. There are lots of different types of shooting to try out, and good kit can be expensive so it's worth knowing what you want before spending money on it.

Wilkinstown have club gear, by the time you need better gear than theirs you'll have a good idea of what you want to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 purechancer

The minimum age prescribed by law at present is 16 years. It is absolutely
    unlawful for Gardai to tell persons who have reached the age of 16 years to come back when they are 18 or even 21.
    There is no maximum age. A special training licence for people from the age of 14 years may be granted by the Minister
    for Justice. The written permission of the applicant’s parents is required. This training licence allows the holder to
    use a firearm while under the instruction of a full licence holder who is not les than 21 years, using the firearm licensed to
    the instructing party. The training licence does not authorise the holder to possess a firearm or ammunition

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's a bit of a resurrection there purechancer, did you check the post dates in the thread? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That's a bit of a resurrection there purechancer, did you check the post dates in the thread? :D
    Indeed, prior to taday, the most recent post in this thread was almost 2 years ago.
    An AWFUL lot of water has passed under a lot of bridges since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Rovi wrote: »
    An AWFUL lot of water has passed under a lot of bridges since then.

Too bloody right!! im sittin here after mounting a new MTC scope onto me air arms s410 xtra fac air rifle and im afraid to go out to zero it anywhere.... the field i usually zero it in is not a registered range... also what the fcuk do i put down on application for owning it (reason?)? apparently ye cant even use them for vermin control??? talk about grey areas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

flanum wrote: »
    Too bloody right!! im sittin here after mounting a new MTC scope onto me air arms s410 xtra fac air rifle and im afraid to go out to zero it anywhere.... the field i usually zero it in is not a registered range... also what the fcuk do i put down on application for owning it (reason?)? apparently ye cant even use them for vermin control??? talk about grey areas!!
    I think the prohibition against hunting with an air-rifle is confined only to wild birds.

Bunnies, grey squirrels, rats etc. would be fine.

A range is a permanent construction. A field that you're using to zero an air rifle is not.

Advertisement