Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford is a City not a town

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Bards wrote: »
    that's all well and good, but do you no see that something is rotten when our politicians go on National Radio (RTE Morning Ireland) and start sprouting on about Waterford Town and comparing us to other big towns (it all starts by it being in everyday speech). This is a sad fact that I heard recently and couldn't believe my ears.

Then the very same politicians will say the govt is ignoring waterford by not granting a university/ radiotherapy etc.

Don't we (as citizens of this City) complain to TV3 about not being included on the weather map while other places are??

In any case I have made my point and if Waterfordians don't start addressing the City in proper terms then we have only ourselves to blame.

P.S this is Ireland and all common sense goes out the window when it comes to politics/media and dirty tricks

I think they're all missing your point Bards. Yes we all say 'going into town'; 'going downtown' etc. But the point you are making is the derogatory and discriminatory description of Waterford as a town by people who have a personal agenda running. John Gormley is a case in point. He goes further by speaking about Dublin, then the 'other Cities Cork, Limerick, and Galway'.

But given the performance by the local Green Party it's hardly surprising.
    Be proud of your City - call it a City. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Freddie59 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

That is a great response. I applaud you. Hope your brain doesn't hurt.

Mossy Monk wrote: »

From the king of the one-liners. I wouldn't say your 'brain' is overtaxed either.:rolleyes: That's all that type of BS comment deserves.:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Easy now lads, no need to bitch at each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

London is a city. Waterford is a town.

"Waterford is a town that thinks its a city but acts like a village...":D

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    "Waterford is a town that thinks its a city but acts like a village...":D

That is spot on. What city has no public transport on a Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That is spot on. What city has no public transport on a Sunday?

Bloody good point to be honest, the world no longer stops on a Sunday like it did years ago, lots of people still need to get to work and using a bus would be better for the pocket and environment then getting one of those bloody taxi's.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So what does that make Dungarven?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aquos76 wrote: »

a couple of houses by the sea ;)

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Dungarvan has never claimed to be a city so I do not see what your point is.

Dungarvan has never claimed to be a city so I do not see what your point is.

In ireland it would be classed as a town I'd imagine...anything over 2,000 generally is,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

mike65 wrote: »
    Vedrafjord sound better and would be more eye-catching and would therefore bring in more investment esp from Nordic countires.

Mike.

Imagine what the reg plates forthe county would read ....

Dungarvan is most certainly a town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wa'her'ford is a small city. Just like Galweh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dlofnep wrote: »
    Wa'her'ford is a small city. Just like Galweh.

I've been reading this thread and it's the most ridiculous discussion ever. Why do we even discuss this? Waterford is a city, full stop. The usage falls into three categories:

- "Town", as in "I'm going into town"
    - "City", as in "A 33-year-old man from Waterford City was arrested..."
    - (no descriptive), as in "I'm from Waterford". (then "city" if clarification is required)

Substitute the name of any city you know, small or large, and the usage is exactly the same. Would you refer to "Galway Town" or "Canterbury Town". No, of course not. But people there of course refer to "going into town".

Usages like "Dublin town", "London town" or "Chicago is my kind of town" are limited to the area of song and stage.

This nonsense that's going around about there being only one real city in Ireland, i.e. Dublin, and everywhere else being "large towns" is just that: nonsense. The appellation of a city is not based on size: it's based on historical, cultural and sometimes religious factors. In the UK it's based on royal charter.

It's a statement of the relative importance and status of a place. There are plenty of towns across the UK, USA and elsewhere much bigger than Galway or Waterford, but our cities, albeit small, stand out more in terms of national importance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fricatus wrote: »
    I've been reading this thread and it's the most ridiculous discussion ever. Why do we even discuss this? Waterford is a city, full stop. The usage falls into three categories:

- (no descriptive), as in "I'm from Waterford". (then "city" if clarification is required)

Substitute the name of any city you know, small or large, and the usage is exactly the same. Would you refer to "Galway Town" or "Canterbury Town". No, of course not. But people there of course refer to "going into town".

Usages like "Dublin town", "London town" or "Chicago is my kind of town" are limited to the area of song and stage.

This nonsense that's going around about there being only one real city in Ireland, i.e. Dublin, and everywhere else being "large towns" is just that: nonsense. The appellation of a city is not based on size: it's based on historical, cultural and sometimes religious factors. In the UK it's based on royal charter.

It's a statement of the relative importance and status of a place. There are plenty of towns across the UK, USA and elsewhere much bigger than Galway or Waterford, but our cities, albeit small, stand out more in terms of national importance.

Agreed.

fricatus wrote: »

Well said Fricatus. Pity your common sense doesn't infect some of the less enlightened here.;)

Same old story. Knock your own. Some of our so-called 'Waterfordians' are experts at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Town or city - it's still full of culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

PDN wrote: »

They're all coming out of the woodwork now...

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    They're all coming out of the woodwork now...

How true Merlante. I wonder where he's from? Hmmmmmm, let's see...........:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

True... every city attracts them, especially our fair capital. Ever been to the Barge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Back to FUNgarvan with you :p

Nothing fun about it I am sorry to say. To those who advertise it as such, they should be ashamed for deceiving gullible visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That just means we have tolerable accents and we are less ignorant. I'm proud to say I had a great upbringing with a field behind my house. There were moo cows, streams, ponds with tadpoles and swings that we could hang out on.

Sure beats watching dead bodies float down the Liffey!

dlofnep wrote: »
    That just means we have tolerable accents and we are less ignorant. I'm proud to say I had a great upbringing with a field behind my house. There were moo cows, streams, ponds with tadpoles and swings that we could hang out on.

Sure beats watching dead bodies float down the Liffey!

One of the lucky ones kiddo.:) Not many (myself included) get the chance.

Advertisement