Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e6550 - is multiplier locked?

Options
  • 22-12-2007 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I am getting hold of a 2nd hand Intel Core 2 Duo e6550 (effective FSB=333MHz & multiplier=x7) and plan to overclock the CPU, but am relatively new to the whole world of overclocking. I am wondering whether it is possisble to oc this CPU using the multiplier alone (assuming your BIOS allows this), rather than just raising the FSB speed?

The reason I ask is because I have my eye on some PC2-5400 RAM which has a speed of 333MHz, so would rather be able to oc the CPU independently without affecting this RAM. I know I could oc the FSB and set the FSB:RAM ratio to 5:4 or whatever, but from what I understand this can effectively slow down access to your memory..

any tips / advice appreciated

jAH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

As far as I know, only the extreme editions of the C2D range are totally unlocked. The non extreme editions are multi unlocked down but not up.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Yeah, the extreme editions have unlocked multis, non extreme editions are from 6 to their native multiplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

ok thanks for the tips, I guess I'll look for faster RAM so

jAH

Advertisement