Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you know if a cat is pregnant?

Options
  • 22-12-2007 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Sorry to be posting about our communal cat again, but I was just wondering how can you tell if a cat is pregnant / has been spayed?

She was very thin when she started calling to see us (about 2 months ago). We have been feeding her every day now and she's gotten fatter from that. I just noticed last night that she's looking positively plump now. Also, she keeps climbing into our wardrobe / behind the couch and staying there until called out. I'm not sure on this but I thought cats start 'nesting' before they give birth.

Just wondering if there's any way to tell as if she accidentally has kittens outside at this time of year I'd be worried for their safety.

Also is there some way to tell if she's been spayed as this would also rule out pregnancy. There are 1 or 2 toms wandering the area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It'd be great if you try and catch the roaming toms at least and get them neutered, you can get this done quite cheaply and a rescue could loan you a trap.

hopefully she's just getting plump from a food but unfortunatly she might be pregnant. if you could catch her and take her to the vet to find out for sure, and then if she is keep her indoors until she gives birth? it'd be safer that way because she could have them anywhere and they could die of cold or anything, and at least they'd grow up tame and it'd be easier to find homes for them..... good luck anyway and fingers crossed that she isn't actually pregnant!

Advertisement