Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Insulation

Options
  • 22-12-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Ive recently moved into a new aparment and as Im on the 3rd floor so there is a little pump in my hot press for the mains supply but its a noisy little bugger. Its sitting on a very thin rubber mat which is a good start but there is too much pipework to replace it with a thicker rubber matt.

I was contemplating boxing it off as much as I can to try and at least dampen the noise. I was wondering if people here could make some recommendations for stuff I could use to dampen the noise, prefferably stuff I can recycle. For example I have some foam and rubber underlay from my floors lying around or I was thinking maybe putting some of the mountains of god-awful styrofoam that will be floating after christmass.

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I would try encasing it with concrete blocks, but leave enough room within the casing to accommodate cooling.

Also check the source of the sound, as the pump may not be causing all of it but the pipes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Noisy little yokes for sure.I don't think styrofoam will do the job as it won't absorb the sound. You something dense and compact as you don't have much room to work in, you need lead my friend. Had the same problem, here is what we did: The pump sits on four little feet and I cut some rubber from an old innertube and glued them to the feet to dampen vibration, then I made a box from mdf that fits over the pump and sheathed the box in lead that I had left over from a flashing job. I'd say it cut the noise by about 50%.
    Also like Xennon says it could be the pipes too contributing to the noise factor , especially if they are vibrating near the pump as they pass over studwork , blockwork etc. You can 'lock' them at the point of vibration with expanding foam. Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the feedback. Unfortunately casing it in blocks is outta the question as the pump is in awkward position and I can only surround maybe two thirds of as the rest is blocked by a massive boiler plus I need access to all the stopclocks so to be practical the only thing to do is to build a box around it than can be easily dismantled if needs be. I was hoping I could use stuff to line the box and dampen the noise. How easy is it to use bolts & wingnuts in a wooden frame instead of your standard wood screw?

The pump is definately the source of the noise, its a high pitch whinny whirr which I presume is the motor. All of the surround piping is fairly well secured and insulated with foam.

Dave

Advertisement