Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda A.S.over Galway

Options
  • 22-12-2007 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Garda EC 135 was over Galway this afternoon close to where I live, not sure what was going on though. This is probably the best of a few that I took, not great I'm afraid, shame they don't come down by a couple of hundred feet though and where they were hovering did'nt help with the light. Looks as though I have been spotted sticking my lens out of the window though, even from that height!

IMG_0023alt.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Didn't see it myself. Was it over the city? Nothing in the news. Was there a protest or an arrest, I wonder? It could just have been an exercise with the local Garda. Or simply traffic duties. I think Galway traffic is now worse than Dublin for it's size.

In Dublin it's a regular thing to see it on auto hover over the M50 or city centre.

My brother met one of the crews in Dublin airport once. He said jokingly, 'So you're the people hovering over my house keeping me awake at night.' The reply was 'Everyone says that to us'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

cp251 wrote: »
    Didn't see it myself. Was it over the city? Nothing in the news. Was there a protest or an arrest, I wonder? It could just have been an exercise with the local Garda. Or simply traffic duties. I think Galway traffic is now worse than Dublin for it's size.

In Dublin it's a regular thing to see it on auto hover over the M50 or city centre.

My brother met one of the crews in Dublin airport once. He said jokingly, 'So you're the people hovering over my house keeping me awake at night.' The reply was 'Everyone says that to us'. :D

It was over the Westside area, heard them mention Soibhan Mckenna road and the "incident" but that was all. The traffic wasn't that busy at the time. Maybe it was a something pre-arranged as doubt they would be up here that quick for a traffic stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

They were up looking for cars.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Nice pic!

cp251 wrote: »
    I think Galway traffic is now worse than Dublin for it's size.

Exactly like there are now 3 Fully operational GASU Helos ( 2 X EC135 1 X Twin Squirrel ) and the BN Defender, why the hell isn't one GASU Helo Based at EICM or at least EINN, such as waste of fuel and time going Nav CrossCountry to get here besides there would be a better "first responder" time too if there was one on the West Coast, same goes for the CASA's.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Moving the CASAs and/or some of the GASU west would probably make some sense (it's probably about 30-40 mins trip from Baldonnel to Galway in an EC-135, roughly half that for a CASA). A GASU helicopter at Shannon would be handy for covering Galway, Limerick and Cork.

The problem is the cost of establishing the necessary maintenance and support facilities outside of Baldonnel. Unless extra cash becomes available to pay for the lower response times (unlikely) there's going to be no movement outside of Baldonnel IMO.

If money was no object then basing the CASAs on the west coast would probably make a lot of sense. I suspect that the centre of their patrol area is west of the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Steyr wrote: »
    Exactly like there are now 3 Fully operational GASU Helos ( 2 X EC135 1 X Twin Squirrel ) and the BN Defender,

Did I not read some where that the Squirrel is to go now that the second 135 is here?

Squirrel is being kept.

IRLConor wrote: »
    If money was no object then basing the CASAs on the west coast would probably make a lot of sense.

There is no "probably" about it, also the IAC used to have a Dauphin stationed at EINN so why the hell not its common sense really.

The Dauphin had to be there because there were lives at stake. Helicopter response time to a crime is rarely a safety of life issue, hence there's no way they'll spend money on it.

Your only way of getting a GASU helicopter permanently stationed outside of Baldonnel is if there is a political motivation to provide funds for it.

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »

Your only way of getting a GASU helicopter permanently stationed outside of Baldonnel is if there is a political motivation to provide funds for it.

Thats why i voted FG.....We should have a Man from the West as Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

From a bureaucratic point of view basing the machine there is the easy bit, when it comes to the manpower it gets tricky... don't expect anything soon... :(

Willie O'Dea is a Limerick TD and he's in charge right?

Not gonna happen even if the entire cabinet was from the west ($DEITY forbid! ;)) because it's not worth the money and the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Amen to that. Isn't there a Coastguard helicopter stationed down here in the west somewhere?

Willie O'Dea was constantly requested more funding from the government for air support and he's not getting it, so I doubt the west is going to see anything for a long time.

nevf wrote: »
    Isn't there a Coastguard helicopter stationed down here in the west somewhere?

Irish Coast Guard Sikorsky S61N's
    Rescue 118 Sligo
    Rescue 115 Shannon ( Backup there too )
    Rescue 117 Waterford
    Rescue 116 Dublin ( Backup there too )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Irish Coast Guard Sikorsky S61N's
    Rescue 118 Sligo
    Thanks for the information.
    I'm in Westport Order of Malta, and have often seen the Coastguard having to be called. Never knew where it came from though, but it's a great resource.

How much per year (approx.) to have let's say, one Garda helicopter positioned in the West?

Advertisement