Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing new graphics card is making pc crash.

Options
  • 22-12-2007 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I was trying to install a new graphics card, after installing it though, the computer kept crashing and rebooting and crashing again after Xp started up.

The new graphics card is an Asus AH2600PRo Agp 8x. Motherboard is Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.

The PC crashed during the end of the initial installation.

I've put back in the original graphics card and it booted up fine and hasn't crashed.

I'm going to uninstall the drivers and try reinstalling etc.

I'm also wondering if perhaps my power supply is getting overloaed. It's 450 watts and this new card has quite a big fan, is there a way of checking the load on my power supply?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Have you tried running something like driver cleaner to completely get rid of the old drivers before installing new ones?
    What kind of crashes are we talking about here? BSOD or normal errors?

450w should be fine, unless you've got ****loads of hard drives and stuff already installed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I'll cut a long story short. I ended up having to put back in the old card and doing a system restore,. I then uninstalled the drivers of that old card. And tried to install the new card again. It seemed to go ok, but once again it kept crashing. I have my gear plugged into a Belkin 650 UPS. I took the UPS out of the equation and it did manage to boot up fully but when i right clicked screen and clicked properties, boom crash again. :confused:

Perhaps my motherboard is just not able to cope with this graphics card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try it again but use a driver cleaner in safe mode after uninstalling the old driver & rebooting. Then reboot normally & cancel driver popup & install new driver.

Fragments of the old driver will still be in windows when you uninstall a driver without a cleaner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I've found Driver Sweeper to be very good at removing fragments of old drivers completely! Best of all its freeware unlike Driver Cleaner, just make sure you run it in safe mode!

Nick

cheers for the info :), i'll try it again tomorrow morning with that driver sweeper. This is only the 3rd time I've installed a new graphics card, how common is it for crashes like this to happen do ye know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its Windows, anything can happen, thts why i mostly use linux :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What psu is it? Is the molex connected to the card? Is there an option to change agp voltage in your bios?

HavoK wrote: »
    What psu is it? Is the molex connected to the card? Is there an option to change agp voltage in your bios?

The psu is a Q-TEC 450w DUAL FAN GOLD.
    I never heard of a molex before. Found this in wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex

If it's what I think you mean i.e. the power connector to the PSU then the answer is yes it's connected.

I'll check to see if I can change the AGP voltage in my bios, edited : I don't appear to be able to change the AGP voltage in the bios.
    I also found earlier today this link http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20071204230503530&board_id=9&model=EAH2600+Series&page=1&SLanguage=en-us in which someone else was having the same problem with the same graphics card and also a possible solution. I'm going to try out the solution shortly.

I sorted the problem eventuallty after numerous system restores.

Here's a synopsis of what I had to do in case it helps anyone else.
    1. I uninstalled all the Nvidia drivers and apps.
    2. I was still getting an error saying 'Failed to load nvcpl.dll", I reinstalled just the nvidia drivers and uninstalled them, this got rid of that error.
    3. In order to prevent the pc crashing, I just installed the drivers for the AH2600Pro AGP plus ATI Catalyst Control Center. I chose not to install any other option, one of the other additional options seems to have been the cause of the crash. Which one exactly I don't know, and I'm leaving well and good alone now.

Additional Note: I tried to use the driver sweeper and driver cleaner apps, I'm unsure if driver sweeper worked fully tbh and driver cleaner wouldn't work after one system restore, even after reinstallation, got some error about a missing dll.

Advertisement