Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler question

Options
  • 22-12-2007 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi, our gas boiler started making a loud banging noise today. A repair man called out and said the 'Heat exchanger' was faulty and needed replacing.

The total cost of this job would be €600. Does this sound about right?

Any ideas. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You can inject a chemical that might clear some of your problem.

We've cleared loads of boilers so far ,some in hard water areas and some badly installed heating systems.

The stuff takes about 3 days to work,if it is going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Had the same problem myself a few months ago(April) bord gais replaced the head exchanger.It was full of black gunk and lime.It cost in and around €300, but it started to act the maggot again about a month a go so I got my plumber to put stuff called furex through the heating system for 7 days.You let it run through the system and then flush the system 3 times.You also need to put a neutraliser through the system that you get with furex.Then at the end he put in inhibitor to basically stop it happening again.We also got a water softner installed.So far it's been ok.You need a plumber to do this for you.Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I replaced my gas boiler completely as it was giving me trouble. I had a look at the heat exchanger and could see that the fins were badly corroded, thereby affecting the 'effective area' of the heat exchanger.

I priced the heat exchanger, it was (from memory) around €600 and a complete new unit was €1,200 (again from memory). No brainer : not worth replacing.

The point I'm trying to make is that a gas boiler had a limited life. Mine was about 15 years old, and the guy in the shop told me I was doing well to get that service out of it. The modern gas boiler is far more efficient (high 90%, condensing boiler with second heat exchanger to get the last bit of heat out of the flue gas).

So replacing the heat exchanger might be a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

youtheman wrote: »
    I replaced my gas boiler completely as it was giving me trouble. I had a look at the heat exchanger and could see that the fins were badly corroded, thereby affecting the 'effective area' of the heat exchanger.

I priced the heat exchanger, it was (from memory) around €600 and a complete new unit was €1,200 (again from memory). No brainer : not worth replacing.

The point I'm trying to make is that a gas boiler had a limited life. Mine was about 15 years old, and the guy in the shop told me I was doing well to get that service out of it. The modern gas boiler is far more efficient (high 90%, condensing boiler with second heat exchanger to get the last bit of heat out of the flue gas).

Hi Y-man, Off topic, but I've been told that those condensing boilers are efficient but troublesome to maintain. You were'nt bothered by this ?

€1200 for a gas condensing boiler installation ,is complete nonsense.

You can't even buy the boilers for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Thanks for the replies.

Got the heat exchanger replaced. Cost €400 in total. Hopefully it'll last a good while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Reyman wrote: »
    Hi Y-man, Off topic, but I've been told that those condensing boilers are efficient but troublesome to maintain. You were'nt bothered by this ?

It's early days yet so hard so comment on the reliability. I'm not sure if all modern gas boiler are condensing (they are if you want the high efficient type.). The high efficiency type are Sedbuk A rated (not sure where the hell they got the word sedbuk, but it's a rating like you have on electrical appliances).

BY the way the 1200 euros I quote was for supply only.

I'd personally recommed the Worscester bosch brand when buying a condensing boiler. Never had a single callback with any of them boilers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

youtheman wrote: »
    . The high efficiency type are Sedbuk A rated (not sure where the hell they got the word sedbuk, but it's a rating like you have on electrical appliances).

/QUOTE]

For information: SEDBUK stands for Seasonal Efficiency of Domestic Boilers in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Pacifico wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Got the heat exchanger replaced. Cost €400 in total. Hopefully it'll last a good while!

Did you get it flushed?I replaced mine last April and the new one started to rattle again a few months ago.I was advised to get it flushed as described in earlier post and it sorted the problem.Any plumber should be able to do this for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement