Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing games whilst roaring drunk.

Options
  • 22-12-2007 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I'd be interested in others experiences of drunk gaming.

Typically after a rake of pints I get the notion that my uber l33t skillz have increased many fold.
    Whilst this does no real harm soldiering through single player, it's when I inflict myself on online gaming that it's most noticeable, (sadly to all involved I'd expect.)

With games that employ a ranked system where I've been maybe performing quite respectably, after a session on the sauce I tend to do my ranking terrible damage. Whilst I'm not obsessed with my rank it does give me pause for thought. FPS seem to bear the brunt of my drunken attempts.

Interestingly though, if I stay in for a few beers and a gaming session I have found there is a "Golden Point" of about 4 beers where I seem to play even better then whilst sober!
    Obviously this doesn't last long past the 4th beer.

Anyone else have this experience, or genres that are only improved on with booze?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Not that I condone drinking to get totally plastered, but I find that after 3 glasses of wine, im usually on fire in TF2 ( and I don't mean because of those asshat pyro's :rolleyes: ) .Questing in WOW was pretty fun when I made short work of a bottle of Hennessy :P

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

A few drinks and i cut a swathe of destruction in most fighting games. Normally i'm complete sh*t.

Driving and FPS games are a different matter, a few jars and no tactic is too low, no dig too sly.

Most everything else is a no-show, if there is reading involved you can forget it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm usually better after a few but after a few more I get considerably worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I just think I'm better than I am and get bloody mad at the computer when I die repeatedly over and over. Then I stop playing, sulk and go to bed. I'm about to go play TF2 a little drunk and stoned...... I give myself 5 mins before stropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think there is a zone you can get into alright, I think it doesnt apply so much to online games where your playing against other people (unless they are in the same room and at the same level of drunken leet-ness).

• Advertisement

After two or three pints of erdinger I play much better than I usually do in COD 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pczone done an article about this about 2-3 years ago. they found that having 4-5 pints heightens your awareness making you better at games - cs 1.6 was the game they used to test it - but anything above 5 pints and they started to see a decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

My Super Stardust HD record score was set after a few pints, which surprised me because that game needs lightning fast reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I don't normally play games while drinking/drunk - but do remember beating the last song in Frequency (on 'advanced') whilst pickled after a night out. Had been failing at that damn Juno Reactor song for ages before that.

I guess the chemical energy was keeping my fuel cells charged. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cremo wrote: »
    Pczone done an article about this about 2-3 years ago. they found that having 4-5 pints heightens your awareness making you better at games - cs 1.6 was the game they used to test it - but anything above 5 pints and they started to see a decline.

Well I remember in ace combat 3 there was 2 missions I couldn't get an A in no matter how hard I tried. I came home one night after having a few cans in one of the lads house and got an A in both missions after one or two goes. I was delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

im out of mt face right now im, platying kane and lych im pwning so bad these guys dont know what hit them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i played against crow in cpma drunk as a loon one time thinking i was hammering him.

upon inspections of the screenshots in the morning it turned out to be a 40 - 4 loss and a 46 - -3 loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

LOL Jazzy. I've found that after 3 glasses of wine or a few beers I can play a lot better, then however as I continue to drink my play gets worse, however I enjoy it even more.

This thread deserves that we all pick a game and start playing sober some Friday night. Then we drink and see what happens, all in the name of science of course. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

LOL Jazzy. I've found that after 3 glasses of wine or a few beers I can play a lot better, then however as I continue to drink my play gets worse, however I enjoy it even more.

This thread deserves that we all pick a game and start playing sober some Friday night. Then we drink and see what happens, all in the name of science of course. :D

but of course, for science!
    And it's (probably) a fact that WoW is alot more fun when you're drunk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

steviec wrote: »
    My Super Stardust HD record score was set after a few pints, which surprised me because that game needs lightning fast reactions.

Hmmm.. must try geometry wars after a few hours on the sauce, hopefully I'll teach Gteach and smellyirishman an thing or two about beating my score.

Actually fook that, currently lying in bed dying and giving serious consideration to never drinking again.

Remember my mates kept getting me absolutely **** faced and trying to beat me at street fighter 2. Still murdered them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Used to play a hell of alot of FPS while drinking. Drunken games + ts is ftw.
    When I started raiding in wow I used to start drinking at about 8, be pissed by the time the raid was over and then some roudy pvp. Yar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually remember now when my mate had the lan just set up we used to play co-op games fairly pissed. Think we got through the whole of serious sam 1 and 2 half cut as well as GL Doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well I absolutely get raped if I play CSS with a few drinks on me (not that I play it anymore). I just start legging it as fast as I can towards the other guys, holding down the fire button and gettin blown away.

TF2 is different matter and with a few cans in and me playing as soldier it's good night and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

Cant beat playing games while ****faced,i find the auld Buckfast can give you superpowers after a bottle while playing some games...though this dosnt work for driving games,or at the moment for me...footy games ,dont think i've finished a match pissed with more than 9 men on my team lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I am soo much better in Guitar Hero after a few pints! Finally finished Bark At The Moon after so many weeks of failure one night I was completely wrote and flew through it!
    I mind we had a drunken Halo night one time and I was well wrote and still finished second lol. Halo + Drink + Loads of friends + Pantera/Heavy Metal music = Bliss :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Tested this last night, and I mean do test it a number of times over Christmas. Again my game improved after 2 pints, then it was all downhill. Just ask Grim :p, he went into freefall.

Advertisement