Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII rifle for target shooting

Options
  • 22-12-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

right while i had dreams of owning an f-class rifle( wanted a USMC spec M40A1 or A3) however the costs are too great for a rifle of that standard with scope and all!

So i want to get either a M1903A4, SMLE NO.4 MK1(T) or a Mauser K98k, however im wondering what sort of optics i should go for?? id like to get into some sort of target comp shooting, im what sort i soulc get into with this setup?

i shall have to have a very looooong discussion with mr bankman, rifle, scope, safe adn eircom ph watch!!

it will be next november before i go ahead with this but id like to have everything weeeell researched before i take any steps, the first being a conversation with my supernintendo!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Shoot Classic. That's competition specially for guns like those. They must be shot in the spirit of the original, so you won't have to worry about optics at all (except maybe a spotting scope).

By the way, good luck finding a complete, genuine No4(T) in reasonable shape for less than the price of a half-decent F-Class rifle & scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

well thats good info thanks, id prefer a k98k, 1903 or the smle in that order so.... anyone else with any other info would be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

newby.204 wrote: »
    well thats good info thanks, id prefer a k98k, 1903 or the smle in that order so.... anyone else with any other info would be good

My brother has a lovely Swedish Mauser, 1923, Infantry rifle. Very accurate. Iron sights shooting 2" at 100 yards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There was a thread here some time ago about a huge collection of Lee Enfields in Italy. I believe they were being auctioned off. From the photos, it appeared that they were mostly in mint condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

You can get nice K98 rifles which have been refitted in Norway for .308 calibre.

Make sure to get a nice stock though. ;)

For small-bore shooting you can also get the original HJ and SA .22 K98 style rifles. Make sure to get one with very good barrel though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

I have a 1941 original German K98. Beautiful rifle, good balance, super quick action. Pity it's de-commissioned:( Try Henry J. Krank in the UK for good quality working K98s

http://www.henrykrank.com/rifles%20cat.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

newby,
    I went the exact same route as you, started off thinking of f class and ended up with a swedish mauser. It is accurate enough for f class if I decide to go that route. My advice would be to try to get your hands on a few on your list before making your mind up. Ideally get a few shots. I know I am biased but the 6.5 is hard to beat. BTY, I intend to get all on your list as well over the next while. Drop me a PM if you want to have a chat on the subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

dbar +1

Advertisement