Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicygnals

Options
  • 22-12-2007 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

Im always a little worried when hand signalling on these dark mornings/evenings and always wondered when something like this would be invented.

if only they werent so dam big, pretty funny looking, but IMO a great idea for safety

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/bicygnals/index.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

If i had one of them on my bike, id certainly get hit by a car for looking crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

On a dark morning, at a distance, all a driver would see is a flashing amber light, how can the driver determine if the bike is turning left or right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

noblestee wrote: »
    Im always a little worried when hand signalling on these dark mornings/evenings and always wondered when something like this would be invented.
    I can't find a ref for it, but I think that road traffic law explicitly prohibits electric turn signals on bicycles. Stick a reflective band on each wrist. If wearing a helmet, have some reflective strips on it that turn when your head turns to check behind.

I find most drivers react appropriately when they see you carefully checking out a manoeuvre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Tomas_V wrote: »
    Stick a reflective band on each wrist.

yeah probably the best option, and doesnt make you look like a tool like these things

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dimilar lights have been around for years, although these seem about half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Motorists won't be able to tell the difference of left and right with this ,it's just one cluster. If there was more space between left and right ,it might be useful.

My arse is bigger than that light ,whats to say my left cheeck didn't break the left light ,when I'm turning right.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That's very irresponsible of your arse.
    _Brian_ wrote: »

My arse is bigger than that light ,whats to say my left cheeck didn't break the left light ,when I'm turning right.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Tomas_V wrote: »
    I find most drivers react appropriately when they see you carefully checking out a manoeuvre.

I'll second that. It's amazing how much of an effect it can be when you simply turn your head to look behind you before making a maneuver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

That's very irresponsible of your arse.

Stop:rolleyes: ,I can't be arsed getting onto it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 infinity&beyond

spadder wrote: »
    On a dark morning, at a distance, all a driver would see is a flashing amber light, how can the driver determine if the bike is turning left or right?

Am I missing something? :confused:
    For the back light I assume the red lights in the middle are always on, so flashing amber on the left hand side of the red lights means the cyclist is signaling left and visa versa. Similarly the front light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

Am I missing something? :confused:
    For the back light I assume the red lights in the middle are always on, so flashing amber on the left hand side of the red lights means the cyclist is signaling left and visa versa. Similarly the front light.
    That sounds simple enough, but on a bicycle and given the distance at which the signal must be seen clearly to be effective, they're just not spaced far enough apart to be easily distinguished.

That and I think there's a legal prohibition on fitting indicators to bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My grandfather had a set of these on his bike. But the amber lights were arrow shaped to clear up confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i have one of these on my bike, and the brake lights work a treat i must say! you can pick something like it up on www.ledshoppe.de for about 8euro i think

Advertisement