Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Moyes

• 22-12-2007 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I can't believe he's only 44. Potentially one of the best managers in the business imo, if not already.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Better managers have done better things in the premiership with worse players.

Far from the best manager in the prem and in fact I would not even put him in the top ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think your wrong T4thefish, Moyes has done incredible work with Everton, yes a bit up and down but now they are actually a top 8 team. Only a fluke season from George Burley has outdone what Moyes has achieved with Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm probably getting a bit carried away with the football Everton are playing atm. :) Only Arsenal are playing better football in England tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Your not going to get much praise for him from Liverpool supporters anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'm probably getting a bit carried away with the football Everton are playing atm. :) Only Arsenal are playing better football in England tbh.

Are you serious ?
    Everton playing good football ? Laughable.
    They are a long ball team and not pretty on the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

You obviously don't watch them play at all MisterAnarchy. I have been an EVerton fan my entire life and they used to be a long ball team when they had Ferguson up front but that is no more. They are a passing team now and use long balls just as much as any other team. Why would they solely use long balls now anyway? They have no good target-man for that... ...you are way off the mark!

Regarding Moyes, I think he needs a few more years to prove himself but so far he's developed a great team at Everton and is continuing to do so.

Your not going to get much praise for him from Liverpool supporters anyways!

Haha! I'm an Everton fan but when Liverpool won the European Cup I remember saying to a fellow Evertonian: "Well, they won the cup but congratulations to them!" That fellow Evertonian then berrated me and I no longer talk to her... ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Outside of the top 4, who do you consider better than him? I think he's a fantastic manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Martin O'Neill.

Difficult to say... ...Harry Redknapp and Martin O'Neill spring to mind.

??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Kevster wrote: »
    You obviously don't watch them play at all MisterAnarchy.

I have seen enough of them to make an objective assessment.
    I'd prefer not to watch them play though .
    Only last month didnt Dick Advocaat say
    “Everton play the English style of football whereas we have more technical type of players. In our league, we play pass, one-touch, two-touch. Here it is more or less based on the long ball and you start fighting for the ball in the final third of the pitch"
    I'd agree with that assessment .Dogs of War.
    I'll see how they play against Man Utd tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

From outside the top 4 i would rate these as better:

Ericsson, O'Neill, Allardyce, Ramos, Coppell, Redknapp, Megson & Jewell (so that would put him 13th!)

to be honest it would be hard to not play decent football in midfield with Arteta and Cahill.

but thats just my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Ericsson, O'Neill, Allardyce, Ramos, Coppell, Redknapp, Megson & Jewell (so that would put him 13th!)

Which Everton aren't. ;)

Moyes has done remarkably well I think on a budget that pales in comparison to their local rivals. I also don't agree that they are a boring team. I'd label that accusation at Liverpool moreso than Everton based upon the hoof-the-ball tactics they employed against United last week. Everton's game against Spurs earlier this year was one of the better league games I thought.

I'm concerned for United tomorrow against Moyes' men. Everton aren't pushovers and I expect it to be a tough game. I hope Fergie can get the better of the younger Scot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I like Moyes, it's not been a sensational rise to the top like some but he's slowly and surely been establishing himself. i think we'll see him go on to do a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ericsson, O'Neill, Allardyce, Ramos, Coppell, Redknapp, Megson & Jewell

i'd agree with these being better except megson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I really like Moyes, and love watching Everton play. Should be a good game tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Are you serious ?

Thats absolute nonsense, I don't care what Dick Advocaat said. Great side to watch, and Moyes is a class act. He's the kind of boss who will live and die by his signings and so far they've been great four times out of five (Van Der Meyde and Beattie being notable exceptions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Better managers have done better things in the premiership with worse players.

Far from the best manager in the prem and in fact I would not even put him in the top ten.

Crisis. I am a Liverpool support with a best mate who is an Everton supporter and even I would give him more credit than you have.

IMO, Moyes is an extremely good manager and Everton are playing some great football. If they keep developing at a steady pace and do not try to do too much too soon, I think they will make 5th place their own and possibly start to put genuine pressure on the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Moyes has done an exellent job in the last 3 seasons, and stats don't lie in this case - they've played 13 games unbeaten. Okay only Chelsea were true big guns but any good team can screw up against a minor side (ask Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd in the last 3 weeks). I don't have the glory of SKY Sport so havn't seen them play much but its a results business and as such he deserves credit.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well he has improved them a lot since taking over. Probably the toughest team out of the top 4 to beat in recent seasons.

As for being one of the best in the prem below top 4, well he could, but the likes of Sven, Ramos and Martin O'Neill have achieved more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He's a manager who runs his whole team based on moral. When they're doing bad they're easy targets but on form they are definatelythe 5th team. I give him alot of credit for melding a team with the tenacity to grind out results but the pure skill to win games on class constantly. His acumen in the transfer market appears to be good too

Is this not more about the best managers who have managed in premiership based on what they have achieved?

So why are people mentioning Ramos, Sven, Megson, Jewell (one good season!) etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Are you serious ?

You obviously havent seen them play this season then. Bar the Sunderland game I think Everton have played very good football.

Against Sunderland route 1 worked and they scored 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Is this not more about the best managers who have managed in premiership based on what they have achieved?

So why are people mentioning Ramos, Sven, Megson, Jewell (one good season!) etc?

Yeh pretty sure Sven and Ramos have achieved FAR more than Moyes even if it's not in the prem (which is what i think you were saying).

as for Jewell and Megson I just think they are better managers, you can't judge them on table position as they all don't have the same squad and money to spend.

to be honest it would be hard to not play decent football in midfield with Arteta and Cahill.
    I don't agree. Plenty of teams have played rubbish football with good midfield players. Arteta played for Rangers, Cahill played for Millwall...need I say more. ;)

Also, there were times were people used to give credit to managers for buying good players :) It's like saying Fergie isn't that good, sure anyone with Ronaldo and Rooney in their team is gona win games

Yeh pretty sure Sven and Ramos have achieved FAR more than Moyes even if it's not in the prem (which is what i think you were saying).

as for Jewell and Megson I just think they are better managers, you can't judge them on table position as they all don't have the same squad and money to spend.

I'm talking about achievements in the premiership, nothing else. Sven and Ramos have being managing in the premiership for a few months, they've achieved nothing yet.

wtf has megson done?

Did he not get relegated/sacked with W.B.A.? and anybody was going to be an improvement on Sammy Lee in Bolton.

It's no suprise that some of the people who posted here so far and dont rate Moyes highly are Liverpool supporters.

Sven is terribly overrated imo. His England team were lucky to qualify for the last world cup. Azerbaijan and Wales outplayed them at home. Austria outplayed them in England. A good defence got them through. At the world cup itself they were outplayed by Paraguay and lost for idea's against Trinidad. It is a results game at the end of the day though.

Sven's record should not be judged based on his England trip. Being a national team manager means you can't use your skills in identifying talent. How good would Wenger be as a national manager? Nowhere near as good as he is for club management.

Sven has an excellent record as a club manager.

• Advertisement

Fair point but I think he's a terrible motivator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

wtf has megson done?

Shag all really.

Doin okay now but to say he is a better manager than Moyes is laughable.

Only 1.5% of bolton fans even wanted him. Why? Because of his history of falling out with players and chairmen and had only won 7 games in the premiership.

Call_me_all must have something against David Moyes to put him only thirteenth on his list. And and it loses all credibility having Megson higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I rate Mark Hughes as the best manager outside the top 4...think he'll go on to truly great things and legendary status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sparky's the same age as Moyes too :) Class act too

Advertisement