Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Gutenberg: What have you found?

Options
  • 22-12-2007 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I've been surfing Project Gutenberg, and while alot of it seems interesting (some of the children's book etc), alot of it was ****e.
    So, I was thinking that if people are reading anything from the project, then they could post here to praise/warn against it? That way we can all read the good stuff, and avoid the bad stuff.:)
    It's probably best if people link to the work as well, just in case others are interested.

*review coming, just finishing something*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

1st Book
    The Story of a Dewdrop by , J. R. (John Ross) Macduff, 1818-1895: I'm not sure if this is a very verbose kids book, or if its a really pointless adults book. Its only a few pages long, so there is nothing really lost be reading it, and some of the imagry is good, but I didn't take to it.

2nd Book
    The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe, 1809-1849: This is a must read (come on, it was in the Simpsons), and it is genuinely a bit creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Started reading the Odyssey but got sick of reading from a computer screen a few pages in and it's too big to print.

Great idea for a thread though, hope people take it up. I'll have to read The Raven tomorrow and go for a trawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

2nd Book
    The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe, 1809-1849: This is a must read (come on, it was in the Simpsons), and it is genuinely a bit creepy.

The Raven is a poem... ?
    Maybe you're referring to The Tell-Tale Heart? The episode where Lisa has to make the small model in competition with the new girl? Unless The Raven featured in another episode...

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    The Raven is a poem... ?
    Maybe you're referring to The Tell-Tale Heart? The episode where Lisa has to make the small model in competition with the new girl? Unless The Raven featured in another episode...
    It is, and it did.
    It was a tree-house of horror episode

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

It is, and it did.
    2nd Book

Hence the confusion. :)

• Advertisement

Neither piece I referred to was a book, but they are classed as e-books.
    Sorry for the confusion

I'm going to give this another go, and hopefully it catches on.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/vampy10h.htm
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori, was allegedly concieved at the same meeting as Frankenstein (although it is nowhere near as good.
    It's worth a flick, but its not really that great, and should have been expanded many upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Check out the short story section , very good colloection of Russian writers : Checkov, Tolstoy, Turgenev , there.

Was looking at it earlier, will return later.
    There are several stories I have my eye on already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I have downloaded loads from that site. It's really cool. Try Joyce, Athaga Christie, Stroker, Conan Doyle, P.G Wodehouse, Dostoevsky for starters. Just browse the list if you can't think of anything.

A really good one if the Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope. The sequal, Rupert of Henzau is also very good.

I listened to it actually not read it, from Guttenberg. I have listened to all of the Holmes series too. The guy who does the voice acting for that is excellent. I perfer to listen to the stories more as I travel a lot. There are so many there but be sure to pick the human-read ones as the machine-read ones can be very hard to listen to after a while.

Best of luck, it's such a great site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement