Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The latest trend in car theft ...

Options
  • 23-12-2007 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

One of the girls at work had her MINI damaged yesterday in Cork City. There's a new trick going around that the scumbags are using, they insert a knife into the shutline between the door and body of the car, and pull it up, severing the cables going to the doors locks and windows. The result is, if they do it correctly, that the short across the wires will pop the locks open, or lower the window a fraction.

Obviously they're doing this to cars parked out of sight, as it takes some sawing to get through the cable, so be very very very careful where you park your pride and joy, for your own sake!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ned78 wrote: »
    One of the girls at work had her MINI damaged yesterday in Cork City. There's a new trick going around that the scumbags are using, they insert a knife into the shutline between the door and body of the car, and pull it up, severing the cables going to the doors locks and windows. The result is, if they do it correctly, that the short across the wires will pop the locks open, or lower the window a fraction.

Obviously they're doing this to cars parked out of sight, as it takes some sawing to get through the cable, so be very very very careful where you park your pride and joy, for your own sake!

Wow what a way to rob a car, never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Toyotas are very vunerable, especially the Landcruisers. We had 5 of the company ones broken into in the past two years. The cable is very exposed in the door shuts on the land cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Toyotas are very vunerable, especially the Landcruisers. We had 5 of the company ones broken into in the past two years. The cable is very exposed in the door shuts on the land cruiser.

^^^Posted for the benefit of any car thieving little scrotes reading!!

Just joking, I'm pretty sure the scrotes know about all the vulnerable types of cars. Probably have the next method fully operational by now, while people are only working this one out.

Doubt they are the kind to be posting on boards TBH.
    Just make sure you park your Land Cruiser in a safe place.... which reminds me one of ours isn't safe this Christmas! Must move it on Monday :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Some of that stainless braided cable sheathing would help , you'd see it around aircraft wheelwells for lightning protection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ned78 wrote: »
    There's a new trick going around
    That's an old trick. Toyota have had to modify their looms to prevent this method from working.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bushy... wrote: »
    Some of that stainless braided cable sheathing would help , you'd see it around aircraft wheelwells for lightning protection.
    I can see threads appearing in the avaition forum about airplane vandalism/theft !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the chances of that working are pretty low though, it'll short out a load of fuses before it opens the car, although theres always the possibility though theres much easier ways into a car.,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kbannon wrote: »
    I can see threads appearing in the avaition forum about airplane vandalism/theft !

Dude! Where's my airplane? http://www.simflight.com/users/reviews/LagoRome%202004/roma27.jpg

vtec wrote: »
    the chances of that working are pretty low though, it'll short out a load of fuses before it opens the car, although theres always the possibility though theres much easier ways into a car.,

Whether it works or not is one thing but you are looking at a couple of hundred euros to get it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I heard of this a few years back. It worked on the Focus apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Handier way to access the car would be just to break the window, no cutting tool required, same result in that you get into the car but can do little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Wasn't there a recall of some late 90s Beemers too due to a belt of a golf club to the front nearside wheel in the right way popping the locks?

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Handier way to access the car would be just to break the window, no cutting tool required, same result in that you get into the car but can do little else.

Some car windows are pretty tough to smash even with shatter hammers and its alot noiser i'd imagine.

Whether it works or not is one thing but you are looking at a couple of hundred euros to get it fixed.

but if it doesnt work then their not going to bother when theres quicker and more reliable ways into the car., I can get into pretty much any of the most common cars with ease but im not gonna put anything on here incase the wrong type are reding.,;)

also those shatter hammer make very little noise, unike something like a house brick.,

also those shatter hammer make very little noise, unike something like a house brick.,

:) I meant smashing the window in general will create more noise!!
    but if it doesnt work then their not going to bother when theres quicker and more reliable ways into the car.

Cut a tennis ball in half and put it over the door key lock and apply pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Of course on the vast majority of anyway modern cars if you smash a window you will do just that, as virtually all anyway recent cars have deadlocks(Mercedes excluded) which prevent the doors from being unlocked unless you have a key. You can't unlock cars fitted with deadlocks from the inside unless you use the remote, which is why most cars nowadays have them!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Wasn't there a recall of some late 90s Beemers too due to a belt of a golf club to the front nearside wheel in the right way popping the locks?
    That one was on TV. As was the jam a crowbar thru the grill and you'll smash the alarm; as was the pop a side repeater out, strip the wires and short them, which blows the alarm the instant it goes off. (Really makes me wonder how much thought BMW put into security)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    (Really makes me wonder how much thought BMW put into security)

As much though as Honda with the EG Civic;)?(the car you could unlock with a house key)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

E92 wrote: »
    Of course on the vast majority of anyway modern cars if you smash a window you will do just that, as virtually all anyway recent cars have deadlocks(Mercedes excluded) which prevent the doors from being unlocked unless you have a key. You can't unlock cars fitted with deadlocks from the inside unless you use the remote, which is why most cars nowadays have them!

You'd think that alright, until they learn where to drill through the door!

• Advertisement

:)
    Cut a tennis ball in half and put it over the door key lock and apply pressure.
    That really only works on older mercs and cars that use that locking system., most other cars dont work like that.,
    JHMEG wrote: »
    That one was on TV. As was the jam a crowbar thru the grill and you'll smash the alarm; as was the pop a side repeater out, strip the wires and short them, which blows the alarm the instant it goes off. (Really makes me wonder how much thought BMW put into security)
    yeah the indicator trick has been around a while, its not only BMW though, it worked with a lot of aftermarket alarm systems like laserline, meta etc, Ive worked on a few cars that came in with that problem.,
    E92 wrote: »
    As much though as Honda with the EG Civic;)?(the car you could unlock with a house key)
    the honda lock barrells are actually decent, there very difficult to force with a different key, the trouble with the EG was that the door handles had the locks in them and the handle is plastic, that meant they just had to use a flat head screwdriver in the keyhole and force it upwards to pop the door handle out and then the door unlocks,., easy to see why there one of the most stolen cars around., the ignition lock was a joke aswell, once the steering lock was forced the casting the lock was made from would shatter and the whole thing fell off meaning they only had to unscrew the ign switch and they were gone.,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Scumbags have been using that method for some time now to break into Transits and Connects which I found out the hard way.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

have also seen it twice on the new model astra van, it can work.

That really only works on older mercs and cars that use that locking system., most other cars dont work like that.,

I saw it on the fast show a few yeards ago as a comdey sketch i don't think it ever worked.

the honda lock barrells are actually decent,
    The Honda barrells are rubbish, and are as soft as butter. The barrells themselves are die cast metal which break easily and the pins in the locks are made from brass and are very thin and soft. I've replaced more than 10 by now and they barrell has always broken or the pins have been mashed. Altho that all changed when Honda brought in superlocks.

Any aftermarket alarm should have inline fuses on the connections to the indicators. If they're not there the installer left them out. Altho some really really seriously cheap sh!te ones won't have them.
    E92 wrote:
    As much though as Honda with the EG Civic?(the car you could unlock with a house key)
    At least you're not paying for a system that doesn't work!:D

Advertisement