Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graingers of Clontarf to close.

Options
  • 23-12-2007 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

More bloody apartments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Just opposite griffith avenue?

I didnt see any planning permission for apartments. Plus there is a whole block of shops there, are they going too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

No, its just graingers pub. The new mandarine is staying.

It's being knocked down, built into apartments, then graingers is being reopened in the basement. It's just not the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So people will buy an apartment and have a pub directly beneath them?
    I wouldn't buy an apartment like that, sure if the smoking area is near your window you'd get no peace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Thats appalling the site is tiny for apartments and the access would be a nightmare right on the malahide Road.

Ugh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Crazy,thats not a bad spot for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

It's a disaster. Where am I supposed to drink?! :eek:

To be honest though, the Grainger family aren't all that old, so I'm sort of suprised! Although, it'll lose a fair bit of business when Paddy O'Gara retires again!!
    What can I do you for sir?

Love that guy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dub13 wrote: »
    Crazy,thats not a bad spot for a pint.
    Nah, I used to drink there from about 97-'02 and it did be hoppin' every weekend, but then Barcode came along, and that was that for the "disco bar" around the area. They never really got over that, imo.

They also shelled out a fair bit to buy The Sheaf O' Wheat off Guinness, over five million pounds iirc. First thing they did to the Sheaf was remove the jukebox, for some inexplicable reason. The crowd left. This was probably to do with the opening of Hamunaptra in the Blacker though.

Then there was the fire in Grainger's Baldoyle, it cost them a fair bit to renovate after that too.

So, the outlay for the Sheaf, the loss of business in both Marino and Coolock, and the fire and loss of crowd in Baldoyle probably meant the family took a huge financial hit.

I can kind of see the reasoning behind this, but as I said in the other thread, it's bloody madness to go trying to build and sell apartments in the current climate.

Therefore, I think the Graingers, if this is indeed true, just don't like having money.

Don't forget, the Goblet was rumoured to be going the same way earlier in the year too, sold for apartments, incorporating a smaller bar underneath, but they've done a complete U-Turn and are now doing the whole place up, with possibly the entire upstairs being exclusively a restaurant.
    sunnyjim wrote: »
    It's a disaster. Where am I supposed to drink?! :eek:
    Koko Kavanagh's tbh, just up the road. Lovely pints in there, and the bar staff are second to none, imo.
    sunnyjim wrote: »
    To be honest though, the Grainger family aren't all that old, so I'm sort of suprised! Although, it'll lose a fair bit of business when Paddy O'Gara retires again!!

Love that guy!!
    I hate that guy.

Pulls a brutal pint, is too slow, and can't remember your order. Either when you ask for it, or when he's ringing it in. If you are getting in a round of more than five drinks, and move some down to the table before he's finished the order, he does have to ask you what you got, then goes back to the till and looks over his shoulder for each drink, and looks at you to prompt him.

Yeah, I'm all for old school barstaff, who have served their time, but this guy should just retire for good tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Was in Graingers on Christmas Eve and it was fairly decent. Only problem was that the New Mandarin closed before we left! :( I prefer Kavanaghs though.

On a side note, anyone know what's happening with Kelly's in Fairview? Used to be a great pub for a quiet pint and a bit of food before it was taken over and subsequently closed down. Supposedly, they're converting the upstairs of the Goose on Sion Hill Road into apartments aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

An Citeog wrote: »

On a side note, anyone know what's happening with Kelly's in Fairview? Used to be a great pub for a quiet pint and a bit of food before it was taken over and subsequently closed down.

Think it opened briefly after the shooting but since then it hasn't opened for any length of time afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sorted

Just came across the piece below in online Irish Times from last April, where Graingers got planning permission for this development. Anybody know what's happening with it now? There's no sign of building work..

(Also, re title of this post, Grainger's address is Clontarf not Marino. Marino is on the opposite side of the Malahide Road.)

DECISION TO GRANT

Location: junction of Malahide Rd and Marino Ave (site addresses Malahide Rd to east and Marino Ave to south, incorporating 74 Malahide Rd - Grainger's pub - 72 and 70 Malahide Rd and 1, 2, 3 and 4 Marino Ave, D3. Proposed development: 17 residential units, and 705sq m (7,590sq ft) of commercial space for pub, off-licence, café/shop and office use. Demolish all structures on site. Pub at basement and ground floor with off-licence. Shop/café unit and offices at first floor. Five apartments at first and second floors. Three-storey terrace for four one-beds at ground floor and four two-bed duplexes above. Four townhouses, 22 parking spaces and site works. Applicant: Mark and Paddy Grainger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's at least two pubs in finglas closed "for a partments" but the apartments arent being built.Turns out nobody wants the bleeding things after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My local, Campions (Malahide Rd) was due to close also.

Thank the sweet baby Jesus its not now being sold to property developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think they were planning to put apartments over the Sheaf at one point as well. Don't think the planning permission ever went through for them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think they were planning to put apartments over the Sheaf at one point as well. Don't think the planning permission ever went through for them though.
    Residents put a stop to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Des wrote: »

No I only heard yesterday that they have finally got planning permission for the apartments. My friend was in Purple Rain (he has kids doesn't get out much) on Saturday night and was talking to a barman and he said the sheaf was being knocked for apartments. Can't see how there going to go ahead with in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sorted

Going back to topic...any news re the Graingers development? Anyone??? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Personally I don't think that even Huey would be mental enough to start building in the current climate. Even if the clan lost all reason the bank that would be required to back it kinda have their plate full at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Des wrote: »

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display?aSearchKey=914356
    6351/07
    APPEAL WITHDRAWN
    Appeal Decision Date 19-Jun-2008

Until they got 'talking'(*) with the developer apparently...

(*) Draw your own conclusions. This post does infer, imply or indicate anything except that the appeal was withdrawn.

As for the Sheaf
    3605/08

Planning permission for development on a site of 2,560sqm (0.64 acres) located at the junction of Coolock Village, Beechpark Avenue and Chanel Grove roads and including the public house 'Sheaf of Wheat';

There were 23 odd objections lodged (which costs €20 each), however the Planner granted permission on 11 November. This can of course be appealed to An Bord Pleanála probably with a dealine of about the 11th December - appeals cost €220 (we are only country in the EU to charge a fee :mad: )

Advertisement