Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got rear ended yesterday

Options
  • 23-12-2007 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Of all the bad luck, I got rear ended by a 78 year old man yesterday whilst stationary waiting to join a roundabout. Luckily I have a draw bar and that took most of the force. It made absolute mess of his front bumper and headlights. The only apparent damage is a crack in the rear bumper.

I called the cops and got all his details. He is denying any liability for the shunt. The cops thought that this was an interesting line for him to take.

I take it I can get a new bumper out of him. Is there any chance of hidden damage?

Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

SMERSH wrote: »
    Is there any chance of hidden damage?

Depending on the severity of the impact, there is.

A tow bar doesn't absorb energy, it passes it down the line via the fixing points on the chassis, so that area needs to be checked for damage / distortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would say that guy that hit you from behind is 100% in the wrong. What has he to gain by denying blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

Bad luck!
    If the chassis is damaged bad enough the car could be a write off, depending on the age if it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

Sound like he might be a bit mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

prime example that people over 70 should be banned from driving:D:D unless medically passed to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

SMERSH wrote: »
    He is denying any liability for the shunt. The cops thought that this was an interesting line for him to take.
    On the back of Quinn Direct tax/insurance disc holders it says that if involved in an accident to not accept liability for anything. Maybe he's insured with QD?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

it doesnt matter what QD say about admitting fault. 1, he hit you from behind and 2, while you were stopped. he can spout all the BS he wants but i guess senility is catching up with him if hes trying to deny any liability here :D.

if he hit you head on while you were stopped while facing the wrong way on the road he would still be in the wrong.

End of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

D_murph wrote: »
    it doesnt matter what QD say about admitting fault. 1, he hit you from behind and 2, while you were stopped. he can spout all the BS he wants but i guess senility is catching up with him if hes trying to deny any liability here :D.

if he hit you head on while you were stopped while facing the wrong way on the road he would still be in the wrong.

End of

He was right not to accept liability. He's no expert and it should be left to the investigators to make that decision. Although it seems obvious that the old guy was at fault here, there has been times where people admit liability in the wrong, which can mess up a case...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im sure if everyone looked at their insurance policy docs there would be somehting there about not accepting responsibility at the scene and there are reasons for this (stress/trauma, not knowing all facts, etc.). The old man was perfectly correct to take this line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Never accept liability at the scene of the accident.

Call a Garda to come and review the scene. Only after talking to people in the know accept liability if you know you were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

What was interesting was he admitted to dropping a bag in the car prior to the accident. The Gardai seemed very miffed at being called out to a minor incident.

Now I informed my insurance for their information. When do I inform his insurance company? I will have to wait till after xmas to get a quote/inspection done(accident happened friday), will it do till then. What is the usual form? Do I send him the bill myself or hire a solicitor to do the deed?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You don't inform his insurance! If you are going the insurance company route then our company will amke the initial arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would be getting the damage as a result of the tow bar being there. Ironically it could have caused more damage by being there. All the mounting points could be bent causing a minor twist in the body of the car, it could result in the rear wheel track becoming offset, etc.

Why did you call the police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

You have to call the cops after an accident, no matter how small it was. If this went to court, the first thing a Judge would look for is details from the Garda who went to view the scene.

Smersh. Ignore the fact that the garda was miffed. Your paying his/her wages through taxes. Its their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

My question exactly, in a more generalised way. There's nothing like a jam caused by people waiting for the police for the most minor of incidents.

In South Africa you'd get your arse kicked by the coppers for this. Move the hell out of the road unless there is a serious injury/death involved to allow traffic to continue as normal.

This being said, hard luck on the incident, there's nothing like it to ruin the festive season :( . I do agree that it should be checked out. Seen minor incidents wreck gear boxes etc in the past.

EDIT:
    Niall1234 wrote: »
    You have to call the cops after an accident, no matter how small it was. If this went to court, the first thing a Judge would look for is details from the Garda who went to view the scene.

Is this actually written in law somewhere? It seems crazy.

Niall1234 wrote: »

You don't have to call the guards. What gave you that idea? Do you think if the guards didn't see it, then it didn't happen and it can't go to court.

I agree there is nothing worse than sitting in traffic for an hour only to get up to the front of the queue and see the most minor of accidents (like the one above) and the people involved won't move the car for fear of destroying the evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The gardai only respond if someone is hurt if they're extremly busy
    So if you tap someone's bumper then don't waste their time but if you knock down a cyclist then they have to be called.

What you could have done was go to the nearest station and make a report, only takes 5 minutes.
    Or better still carry a camera (not a digital camera) in your car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Move the cars off the main carriageway to the shoulder asap and then call the cops. No one is held up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

My insurance company, at least, requires me to call the police for any accident if I'm making a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kona wrote: »
    prime example that people over 70 should be banned from driving:D:D unless medically passed to drive.

They are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

micmclo wrote: »
    Or better still carry a camera (not a digital camera) in your car

Why not digital? Is taking photos on a phone etc not as useful in court or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Why not digital? Is taking photos on a phone etc not as useful in court or what?

Photoshop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have used digital images in a court case before and there was no questions put to me except for who had taken them. They were of injuries to me though, not a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

a buddy of mine was rear ended last year by a guy who was after a few pints. he begged him not to call the guards and promised to fix the car for him. he tried for a few weeks to get the money from him and he denied anything ever happened and the last few times he would not answer the door :eek:. so yeah i would call them now. i dont care as long as i dont end up paying for someone elses damage to my car.

Advertisement