Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do we have to have a British voice on our Irish satnav maps??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well I'd say the only one Garmins Emily would have a problem with would be Eamonn Ceannt,she's pronounce the rest OK :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

fumpidge wrote: »
    Have you been hiding under a rock for the last 86years, what about the North? It wouldnt surprise me if the defense forces are using these corrupted satnavs

Defence. We are not American.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Amongst the celebrity tomtom voices you can choose Ozzie Osborne's voice, where he tells you that in 300 metres you can turn left at the f*ckin' roundabout.

An Iain Paisley one would be interesting, particularly when driving past a Catholic church.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is anything but pointless. Great men have fought and died for Ireland. Thomas J. Clarke, Sean Mac Diarmada, Thomas MacDonagh, P. H. Pearse, Eamonn Ceannt, James Connolly, Joseph Plunkett would all turn in their graves if they heard a foreigh voice on particularly a British one in their cars every time they turned a corner. If the Irish government had any guts they would ban these thing until they sorted out the problem.
    Take your bigoted views elsewhere. They are not welcome in the motors forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kbannon wrote: »
    Take your bigoted views elsewhere. They are not welcome in the motors forum!

+1! And in modern Ireland they shouldn't be welcome anywhere else either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

My Garmin (gurtrude) doesn't say place names.
    Only directions such as turn left in 100 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ninty9er wrote: »
    here's why we don't have an Irish voice.....

The Jonjoe

LOL :)

Mind, many people I know are only recent converts to naming roads by number rather than name
    Have you been hiding under a rock for the last 86years, what about the North? It wouldnt surprise me if the defense forces are using these corrupted satnavs

Yeah. And almost everyone in this country is normally speaking the corrupt language called "English" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

cazzy wrote: »
    My Garmin (gurtrude) doesn't say place names.
    Only directions such as turn left in 100 meters

Most definitly a pointless thread but if we could move it this way?

Does everybody have a name for their sat nav aka "Gurtrude"

Mines "Deirdre" as in Deirdres Directions:p

Shure, a satnav with an Irish accent, which accent would you use,

Norm Iron, Cork, D4, Nordsiide, Wickla or the Wesht.
    At least an English accent doesn't offend regional differences. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Amongst the celebrity tomtom voices you can choose Ozzie Osborne's voice, where he tells you that in 300 metres you can turn left at the f*ckin' roundabout.

An Iain Paisley one would be interesting, particularly when driving past a Catholic church.

that would be crap, it would always want to drive down O Connell street.,:D:p.,
    as for the anti british crap, your a little it late on that one mate,.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

This is anything but pointless. Great men have fought and died for Ireland. Thomas J. Clarke, Sean Mac Diarmada, Thomas MacDonagh, P. H. Pearse, Eamonn Ceannt, James Connolly, Joseph Plunkett would all turn in their graves if they heard a foreigh voice on particularly a British one in their cars every time they turned a corner. If the Irish government had any guts they would ban these thing until they sorted out the problem.
    Ah yes, I knew the names of the Great-Heroic-Dead would be invoked at some point in this thread.

Feck it, I want a shamrock-shaped Sav Nav painted green, white and orange. As soon as I cross the border into Newry I want it to play a_nation_once_again.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I use the American voice on the Garmin, partly because she sounds so *pleased* when she says delightedly: "You have *arrived* at your destination!"

But it's nice to know that I'll be able to download Irish voices when I move to a TomTom.

(Shopping in Tesco is not a positive experience for me with the self-consciously 'igh-class Cockney accent mincing "Please take your Eye Temms". I don't buy eye temms. I buy shopping, or goods.)

Has anyone (excuse slight thread drift) put a TomTom and a Garmin side-by-side on their dash and driven to, say, West Cork? I did this in Dublin and there wasn't much in it, but would like to know how they compare in country areas. I know the new TomToms give you the ability to feed back your route to the makers, so you can correct errors in their maps.

vtec wrote: »
    that would be crap, it would always want to drive down O Connell street.,:D:p.,
    as for the anti british crap, your a little it late on that one mate,.;)

Anti-British?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

luckat wrote: »
    Has anyone (excuse slight thread drift) put a TomTom and a Garmin side-by-side on their dash and driven to, say, West Cork? I did this in Dublin and there wasn't much in it, but would like to know how they compare in country areas.
    Did they start arguing amongst themselves? "No she's wrong, you should take the SECOND left and then go down that road for 300m..." :p

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Anti-British?:confused:

did you even read this thread? it doesnt look like you have.,

vtec wrote: »
    did you even read this thread? it doesnt look like you have.,

Yes I have, but I don't see that my post was anti-British, so I'm still puzzled as to why you thought it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

i_am_the_president_of_asia.jpg

I feel this is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Go back to the 1920s you biggotted fool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Personally i think sat nav is one of the biggest wastes of money. For starters, apart from truckers 99.9% of car journeys are made on a route the driver knows reasonably well. And if you dont know it id sooner trust an old fashioned paper map than technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

torin left in turty tree and a turd mile, ya bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Personally i think sat nav is one of the biggest wastes of money. For starters, apart from truckers 99.9% of car journeys are made on a route the driver knows reasonably well. And if you dont know it id sooner trust an old fashioned paper map than technology.

That's fair enough, I use sat nav a fair bit, find it very handy for going places that I don't know reasonably well or when I'm driving abroad. On holidays I can concentrate on the road without worrying about missing turnoff's etc, and the "discussions" with the missus over her map reading skills :D

I still carry a map as there will be adresses that will not be on the data base.

All in all I think it is a great driving aid when used with common sense. You hear of muppets who end up in fields or going up one way streets and blame the satnav, those type of gobsh!tes have difficulties with video recorders, computers and other "high tech" equipment anyway :rolleyes:

Tha Gopher wrote: »

I use it every saturday when im heading out to the outskirts, i can never remember the country roads so it comes in very handy.,
    And not to mention that a lot of them double as a bluetooth handsgree kit and thats what mine would mostly be used for.,
    ejmaztec wrote:
    Yes I have, but I don't see that my post was anti-British, so I'm still puzzled as to why you thought it was.

Ive just realized what you meant, my reply to your post was the O Connell street thing, then i said,
    as for the anti british crap
    referring to the comment by fumpidge.,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

yayamark wrote: »
    Mines "Deirdre" as in Deirdres Directions:p

Double D. You got any pics? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I think this is a strange complaint. The Swiss and Austrians have to deal with someone from Hannover doing the German voices for that satnav, for example.

It's really an accent issue, and the fact that the OP seems to miss the point that if it was to be for Ireland it should actually be in Irish, not just Dublin-accented english.

It makes sense for the most "standard" version of a language to be the one used, not some localised dialect. It's not a "British voice" on "Irish maps", it's English language by someone speaking clearly from a company that produced the maps. Same e.g., with Hannover and Hochdeutsch being used in Swizterland nav units, which unsurprisingly, are made with a *language* as the deciding factor, not the local accent (Dublin-english, Liverpudlian english, Cockney, etc., are all just dialects and far too pronounced to be practical or neutral except for a small population)

Advertisement