Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP

Options
  • 23-12-2007 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if a PC is set to use a static IP it can't hit the config page on a WiFi router. Why is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Is the IP address assigned in the correct range?

It's possible that access to the page is only allowed from IPs that have been assigned by the DHCP server (or to MAC addresses to which an IP has been assigned by the DHCP server).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Static IP address is correct yes.

That would make some sense alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

is ip on the same network?

for example if router address is 192.168.1.xxx and static ip of PC is 192.168.0.xxx then you will not be able to access the config page.

make sure first 3 octets of the address match on both the router and the PC, and use the same subnet mask most likely 255.255.255.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

There is one or two routers that only respond if the pc is set to a specific ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im assuming that when you assign the static ip, you can in fact use the interweb and everything else works fine?

what router is it?
    If everything else is working, and you can ping the router address.. then its a security limitation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

emaherx wrote: »
    is ip on the same network?

for example if router address is 192.168.1.xxx and static ip of PC is 192.168.0.xxx then you will not be able to access the config page.

make sure first 3 octets of the address match on both the router and the PC, and use the same subnet mask most likely 255.255.255.0

On reflection on the static IP was the same on the PC and the router. When I turned static off on the PC it worked fine. Makes perfect sense now that think about it.
    Saruman wrote: »
    Im assuming that when you assign the static ip, you can in fact use the interweb and everything else works fine?

what router is it?
    If everything else is working, and you can ping the router address.. then its a security limitation

I couldn't ping the router from the PC. I could from a laptop I also connected to the router. The laptop had dynamic IP set.

Thanks for clarifying this. I've never done much networking and sometimes I forget the basics when I have to fix something like this. Like to understand my mistakes etc.

Advertisement