Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landline from eircom

Options
  • 23-12-2007 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi,

i just got my new appartment in cork. now i want to order a product from smart telecom, but first, i have to order a landline from eircom. i looked at their homepage but i got really confused. which product do i have to order (only internet - no phone)

tia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can't order internet only, you have to have a phone line (on which you might get DSL broadband). If you really don't want to pay for a phone line, then consider wireless options. If it's Smart you're after then a phone line is a necessity.

You're better off ringing eircom to order a line though, their internet ordering system is, quite frankly, a crock of shite, along with their entire website that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mezzomix

jor el wrote: »
    You're better off ringing eircom to order a line though, their internet ordering system is, quite frankly, a crock of shite, along with their entire website that is.

what do i have to order exactly? i don't want to order anyting useless

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭[AK47][JONNYNEW

You'll have to order a phone line,

And then and only then will eircom or smart tell you if you can actually get Broadband,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You have no choice with ADSL, you need a phone line full stop.

However once you get one and if your lucky to be in a LLU area you can reduce your costs for your ADSL line by going with Smart or better yet go with BT Business and get a ULMP unbundle and you don;t pay any line rental anymore as the line gets converted to a data line and doesn;'t function for calls anymore.

Of course BT Business is not generally sold to home users :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 John_flood73

see have your neighbours been able to get broadband before ordering the line. the exchange might not be up to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

You'll have to order a phone line,

And then and only then will eircom or smart tell you if you can actually get Broadband,

I was confused first too and I recommend calling them when the line is working, the website is not "very clear", to put it mildly......
    I am now with Smart and very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

I got the same message. I get about 260 kb down/ 100 kb up .
    Connection drops for a day or two a month but its better than a kick in the ghoulies.

Advertisement