Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Orange Warning Light

Options
  • 23-12-2007 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Hey all, when i start up my car after about ten seconds an orange light comes on the dash. Its a square with a cap at the top right corner and what looks like water about a third of the way up. Anyone got any ideas what it could be? Its an E46 BMW by the by.
    Cheers :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

only hazarding a guess but is it diesal or unleaded? if diesal it could indicate 1 of two things:
    1. water in the fuel tank
    2. fuel line problem
    Check out this link. is it any of them? http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/ecupic/warning_symbol2.jpg
    Could you take a pic and show us?
    or better yet, give your car manual a go it will explain exactly what the problem is. Do this first before any of the above.

**EDIT**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Its a petrol car not diesel. Dont have a manual as it was a 2nd hand car bought on spec. Have a pic in my phone but have to wait until i get home to load it up cos i dont have my bluetooth dongle here at work.. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The car manual in the glove compartment explains what these symbols refer to.

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Dont have a manual as it was a 2nd hand car bought on spec. .
    Andrewf20 wrote: »
    The car manual in the glove compartment explains what these symbols refer to.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Dont have a manual as it was a 2nd hand car bought on spec. .

I think it might be low coolant warning.

Manual here maybe ?

http://wiki.bmw-driver.net/index.php?title=E46_Manuals

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think it might be low coolant warning.

Yep - sounds like low coolant level.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Slightly OT, but time and time again it comes up here that people don't have the manual for their cars ... what happens to them? Do they slip through a hole on the space-time continuum that's cunningly built in to the glovebox of most cars, or what?

Good point Alun....as it happens I NEVER got a manual in any used car I bought(6 I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It seems to be a particular issue with used cars; somewhere between the original owner, the dealer, whoever, the manuals go astray and the new owner finishes up with a manual free car.
    A suspicious mind might surmise that they mysteriously vanish because the mileage recorded in the service book doesn't coincide with the mileage on the odometer, but I'm sure that's most unlikely. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

Hey all, when i start up my car after about ten seconds an orange light comes on the dash. Its a square with a cap at the top right corner and what looks like water about a third of the way up. Anyone got any ideas what it could be? Its an E46 BMW by the by.
    Cheers :o

Its your coolant warning light. Probably just needs a top up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Petrol warning light > Car needs more petrol
    Oil warning light > car needs more oil
    Orange warning light > car needs more orange, I'd recommend Fanta ;)

Hagar wrote: »
    Orange warning light > car needs more orange, I'd recommend Fanta ;)
    Wrong! It means that Ian Paisley is watching you!

Alun wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but time and time again it comes up here that people don't have the manual for their cars ... what happens to them? Do they slip through a hole on the space-time continuum that's cunningly built in to the glovebox of most cars, or what?

Probably sitting in a previous owners house.

Wrong! It means that Ian Paisley is watching you!
    boom boom! badda bum tissh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

:rolleyes:

Doh! Being up late doing me no favours.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Alun wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but time and time again it comes up here that people don't have the manual for their cars ...
    This seems to be a problem that particulary affects BMW owners. They also seem unable to use google and come here instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JHMEG wrote: »
    This seems to be a problem that particulary affects BMW owners. They also seem unable to use google and come here instead.

Simple really. The manual is sitting with the indicator stalk back in the dealers... :D

.......and the OP hasn't been back since,mind you I'd be a bit anxious if a recently bought car started showing a low coolant light.Might be nothing but still...

Advertisement