Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[REQ] Cheapest Xbox Wireless Network Adapter????

• 23-12-2007 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Send me links, info and anything you got!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Damien360

I use the Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server. It acts as a wireless bridge and you do not need wireless settings on your xbox as it thinks it is wired. Works nicely. All settings on the print server.

Got it on ebay. very variable prices. Uk seller has loads but you will find it cheapsest when the bidding ends after midnight. Those sales are few and far between. They are generally re-furbs but I have mine a year (I think) and it has no problems.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

I saw them in the Currys Christmas catalogue for €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

There is a free way to get your 360 connecting to wireless internet. All you need is a laptop(must be able to use wireless internet) and the ethernet cable that comes with the xbox. Now you have to plug the ethernet cable into your xbox and the other end into the computer. Now folllow the instrutions here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j397GHG5Gx8 It DOES work and people on ebay are trying to sell this idea:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

seanbmc wrote: »
    There is a free way to get your 360 connecting to wireless internet. All you need is a laptop(must be able to use wireless internet) and the ethernet cable that comes with the xbox. Now you have to plug the ethernet cable into your xbox and the other end into the computer. Now folllow the instrutions here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j397GHG5Gx8 It DOES work and people on ebay are trying to sell this idea:rolleyes:

LOL

The wireless adaptor for the XBOX360 costs maybe 80€... A laptop costs like what... a grand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

That laptop trick is pretty handy. My wireless adapter has packed in so I'll use this method instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

€65 in gamestop, well gamestop Dun Laoghaire anyway. I presume all gamestop stores prices are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Sorry to hijack this but is the wireless network adapter an essential requirement when adding the xbox onto a wireless network? Dont really know much about networking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sorry to hijack this but is the wireless network adapter an essential requirement when adding the xbox onto a wireless network? Dont really know much about networking

Yes, you could also use a wireless game adapter...

Play-Asia ~55euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Just bought one off play asia. Hope i dont get hit with custom charges!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

LOL

The wireless adaptor for the XBOX360 costs maybe 80€... A laptop costs like what... a grand?

If you have one that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just got a 2nd hand 360 today and I'm very surprised it didn't come with a wireless NIC as standard.

Luckily I have a laptop, so thanks for that link - I'll give that a go now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Just bought one off play asia. Hope i dont get hit with custom charges!!!!
    I ordered just the adaptor off there and wasnt hit with any customs/charges, just once you only baught one item you should be ok!!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

that laptop to xbox internet didnt work,IP wont be picked up by the xbox :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 atomiccolm

Yeah that doesn't seem to work as it can't connect to the IP address.... too good to be 2 tru
    eh??

I connect my xbox to my laptop for xbox live and it works perfect. Just make sure you set your firewall to low. If its an ip problem then most likely you dont have internet connection sharing (ICS) enabled. Go into your network settings on your laptop, right click on the local area connection click properties and sharing at the top. Make sure the ICS box is ticked. You might have a proplem setting the NAT to open but just get back to me if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

rejkin wrote: »
    that laptop to xbox internet didnt work,IP wont be picked up by the xbox :(

this link worked perfect for me in about 2 minutes setting up.

http://www.jakeludington.com/xbox/20061208_xbox_network_connection_sharing.html

hanton12 wrote: »
    this link worked perfect for me in about 2 minutes setting up.

http://www.jakeludington.com/xbox/20061208_xbox_network_connection_sharing.html

nah,neither does that work,but i do have vista so that could be the reason

i Have vista and it worked no problem.

really? did u use the ethernet which came with ur xbox?

Yep, the one in the box. Just make sure you have ICS enaled on the pc your connecting to, and leave all the settings on your xbox as automatic. And set your firewall to low. Do a connection test and see if it connects. If your NAT test says strict then you'll have to bridge your connections but ill explain that when you get this far.

Tell me if you get it working.

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center and then, on the left, click Manage network connections.

Right-click a connection (your wireless connection), and then click Properties.

If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.

In Local Area Connection Properties, click the Sharing tab and view the settings for ICS.

• Advertisement

ok i checked on my ICS settings,nothings ticked,will i just tick them all?
    Iv set the wireless network to automatically obtain an ip adress and its the same with the local are network so it should work but it doesnt:mad: :mad:

Dont click both, just the first. im in the middle of writing a guide for this so ill give you te link when done.

[EDIT] Here is the link. hope it helps. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54793712#post54793712

ah i found out what wrong,it wont let me use local are network as the home network connection to set when i click on "allow other network users to connect through this internet connection" and choose local area network and click ok it says an error has occurred while trying to apply it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

Psygnosis wrote: »

Plus $30/e20 for shipping. Plus customs. Thanks but I reckon the bridging is the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I got mine on adverts.ie cheap so can't complain. might be worth having a look in dabs or komplett somewhere local enough may have them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

Chiming in to say thanks for that laptop wireless workaround - now have my xbox360 connected to the net through my Macbook Pro (in OSX!) :D

Could never justify the €100 for the adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Elessar wrote: »
    Chiming in to say thanks for that laptop wireless workaround - now have my xbox360 connected to the net through my Macbook Pro (in OSX!) :D

WTF...First iTunes,now this. M$ and Apple working together.....what's next??? world peace?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 irlpotato

Elessar wrote: »

Could never justify the €100 for the adapter

this depends entirely on how much you play x-box live.

the average laptop uses 80 watts an hour (according to some random websites im too lazy to reference. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2006/12/04/review-kill-a-watt-electricity-usage-monitor/ says that your macbook uses 60 ). thats 0.08 of a kilowatt hour. it could be higher, but were just assuming that your laptop is sitting idle while your playing x-box.

in ireland the esb charges 14.15c for the day per kilowatt hour, and 7.00c for off-peak. So the laptop consumes 1.132c per hour in the day and .56c per hour at night.

So in order to justify your 100 euro adaptor, youll need to play 8833 hours or during the day or 17857 at night.

i got mine working through use of a mini hub and my laptop: the straight connection didnt work. A cross over cable will possibly fix that..

of course if you dont have a laptop, then you might consider the wireless option. running a desktop pc is entirely different, depending on its spec and peripherals. times the cost to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Yep, the one in the box. Just make sure you have ICS enaled on the pc your connecting to, and leave all the settings on your xbox as automatic.

Are you sure about the straight thru cable working ? If I want to connect the XBox to a PC NIC shouldn't the cable be a crossover type ? I'm trying to get a 360 connected via a bedroom computer which connects to the 'net via a wireless adaptor plugged into a USB connection.

ZEN

Advertisement