Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REQ DVD Recorder with Hard drive in Sales

• 23-12-2007 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Just wondering what would be the best DVD Recorder with a hard drive to get in the Post Christmas sales - want to transfer my old videos to DVD - read here that the best way to do it is to record to the harddrive first and then to the dvd

what recorder is the best and easiest to use? prob look in D.I.D. and Powercity on Stephens day

thanks for help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭gerrykiddy

Take a look at Lidl for the 27th December

Targa DVD Recorder with 250GB Hard Drive

* Record TV programmes directly to DVD or the hard drive
    * Store up to 300 hours of video on the 250GB hard drive, edit out the commercials and copy it all onto DVD!
    * Features include: Timeshift, PIP (picture in picture), HDMI port with 1080p upscaling, USB connection for MP3/WMA/JPG, progressive scan output, 3D surround sound, DTS, Dolby Digital coaxial and optical, Video+ PDC and easy guide menu
    * Available in black or silver
    * €299.49 + €0.50 PRF
    * Price per item

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

Lidl have a special on a targa one for 299 with a 250gb drive from thursday....

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20071227.p.TargaDVDRecorderwith250GBHardDrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

pls move to [requests] forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I got one of those Targas two Christmases ago. A good buy - well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Never heard of Targa before - decent brand

Was looking at getting Samsung HR750 - got 160 GB

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

I got a 160GB Targa DVD-HD Recorder from Lidl 2 years ago and it's been great.
    Only complaint is that if I'm recording TV programme to HD I can't watch a DVD or vice-versa. I wonder if this newer one allows this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Well if you have a spare dvd player as i never really got rid of mine as its sitting on top of the telly, i swap the scart cables around with sky box when im not using the player. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

And on the plus side targa offer a 3 year warranty on all the electronic equipment.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

M007 wrote: »
    Never heard of Targa before - decent brand

Was looking at getting Samsung HR750 - got 160 GB

I bought a Toshiba 160 GB HDD unit 12 months ago. Never a bother with it. I know someone who bought the aforementioned Samsung DVD-HR750 a couple of weeks ago and have seen it in action. Would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I think this may be a very basic question but I can't get my head around it. How do machines like this change channel on NTL Digital/Sky? If I set it up to record something, how does it turn on the set top box and change channel on it?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Colm

That might have to be a question on the Satellite forum, as they might know that?

I know when i had the ordinary sky box, i set it up for autoview & set the VCR to tape that channel at the same time, so i dont know what setup you have there, but thats one idea. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I think this may be a very basic question but I can't get my head around it. How do machines like this change channel on NTL Digital/Sky? If I set it up to record something, how does it turn on the set top box and change channel on it?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Colm

Not all of them do and I suspect the Targa won't. My Pioneer 530h changes the channel for me and also has it's own EPG which one can use to setup recording up to 2 weeks in advance (similar to skyplus) The only issue is it won't let me watch region 1 dvds whilst recording but region 2 are fine. Also one can tune in the analog ntl stations and record from them and be able to use the ntl digital seperately on the other scart. Best 400 euro I ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

sweetie wrote: »
    Not all of them do and I suspect the Targa won't. My Pioneer 530h changes the channel for me and also has it's own EPG which one can use to setup recording up to 2 weeks in advance (similar to skyplus) The only issue is it won't let me watch region 1 dvds whilst recording but region 2 are fine. Also one can tune in the analog ntl stations and record from them and be able to use the ntl digital seperately on the other scart. Best 400 euro I ever spent.

try here http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/pioneer-dvr-530h/5717

well very disappointing - no money off the samsung DVD recorders in Powercity or currys this morning - will check out DID in the morning - actually the sales in both places were poor unless u wanted a 50 inch plasma!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

sweetie wrote: »

I have a targa and I use a phantom pvr thing that piggybacks off your scart socket. Allows you to use the autoview / series link thing in sky to record. I often miss the first second or two but pretty good.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Picked up one of those Targas this morning. Haven't had any luck finding an unlock code for it - previous Targas were rebadged LiteOn but this one seems different...

It's interesting that you can record to the HD and watch a DVD at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

parsi wrote: »
    Picked up one of those Targas this morning. Haven't had any luck finding an unlock code for it - previous Targas were rebadged LiteOn but this one seems different...
    Did you try this? It worked with the 5500.

1) Power on the machine
    2) Press SET UP
    3) Highlight EXIT
    4) Press 2 9 6 0
    5) New menu pops up, right click then chose your required region (0 for multiregion)
    6) Press ENTER
    7) Press SET UP again to exit

Thanks. I tried that (and the one where you enter 0 seven times) but the 5600x has different menus where you exit by pressing an exit button rather than highlighting exit and then clicking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

I didn't notice any mention of tuners.
    Can you watch a different channel to the one recorded if recording say an NTL digital channel?
    For anybody who has the machine- would you recommend it?
    Does anybody know if there are any left in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭cullenswood

So does anyone have any other good recommendations on where to pick up a good quality DVD Hard Drive recorder, even from a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Mossy

I was going to get a Targa from Lidl. Faced with the prospect of getting up at 6AM and waiting for an hour in the wind and rain (to make sure I'd be at the head of the queue) I had a look around online to make sure that the Targa really was a bargain.

PowerCity have this Philips model for €280 (less if you buy online) which would cost you €350 in DID.
    This price is also cheaper than any online store that I can find it on (including delivery).

I have no idea what Harvey Norman charges for this model, or if they sell it, because they have no prices online (not doing themselves any favours there methinks).

The spec is very similar to the Targa model -
    • Dual Media records on DVD+R/RW
    • DVD+R DL
    • DVD-R/RW
    • Plays DivX
    • MP3
    • WMA and JPEG digital camera photos
    • DivX Ultra Certified for enhanced playback of DivX videos
    • HDD Media Jukebox lets you store movies, music and photos
    • Easy file transfer between HDD, DVD and USB 2.0 flash drives
    • One Touch Pause Live TV freezes the action instantly
    • Instant Replay for reliving a live TV moment with one touch
    • High-speed archiving from Hard Disk to DVD
    - and I suspect that PowerCity reduced the price to compete with Lidl offering, partially because their 160GB Philips model is only €10 cheaper.

I ordered online to collect (there is also an option to have it delivered) and I got a call from PowerCity to confirm my order shortly after 9AM the next day (I made my order at 1 or 2 in the morning). The guy sent an invoice number to me by text, and all I had to do was quote the number at the checkout in PowerCity to get a receipt and then collect at the back of the building. It was all fairly quick and painless (it would have been a pain the ass if the queue at checkout had been longer, fortunenately it wasn't).

And don't pay any attention to the stock levels on PowerCity's website - the numbers for this DVD recorder haven't changed in several days and I know that they've sold at least one in that time.

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, so I can't tell what how good the quality is, but I think the specs are good for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Mossy wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, so I can't tell what how good the quality is, but I think the specs are good for the price.

Mossy, will you let us know after you have tried it?
    I have heard Phillips being rubbished in a few places. I don't know if this was brand snobbery, the fact that they did not stock Phillips or the fact that they had genuine concerns.

I went out yesterday morning after work to see if there were any Targas left. There was 'one'. However it looked like it had already been returned. It also said on the box that it only upscaled to 1080i.
    After that I had a look in PC and DID. I was very tempted by the Phillips. Apart from the specs, it looks a lot nicer than the others.

Has anybody else got any comments on the Phillips?

I was tempted by that Philips but delivery would be extra (not living in PowerCity land). The Targa also had a three year warranty which is nice. I also saw the Philips being rubbished (must have looked at the same sites as JimiMac ).

So in the end I decided that seeing as I'd be passing a Lidl I'd stop and see. As it turns out Junior woke us up at a Gof-forsaken hour so I decided to trundle out to Lidl and arrived at 08:07 and managed to pick one up. However the value wasn't such that I'd be bothered queuing for it.

The timeshift is an excellent function (used it last night during a film where we seemed to have endless interruptions) and I'm sure that the ability to watch a dvd and record to HDD will come in useful.

Pixmania seem to be having decent prices as well so may be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I was going to get a Targa from Lidl. Faced with the prospect of getting up at 6AM and waiting for an hour in the wind and rain (to make sure I'd be at the head of the queue) I had a look around online to make sure that the Targa really was a bargain.

PowerCity have this Philips model for €280 (less if you buy online) which would cost you €350 in DID.
    This price is also cheaper than any online store that I can find it on (including delivery).

I have no idea what Harvey Norman charges for this model, or if they sell it, because they have no prices online (not doing themselves any favours there methinks).

The spec is very similar to the Targa model -
    • Dual Media records on DVD+R/RW
    • DVD+R DL
    • DVD-R/RW
    • Plays DivX
    • MP3
    • WMA and JPEG digital camera photos
    • DivX Ultra Certified for enhanced playback of DivX videos
    • HDD Media Jukebox lets you store movies, music and photos
    • Easy file transfer between HDD, DVD and USB 2.0 flash drives
    • One Touch Pause Live TV freezes the action instantly
    • Instant Replay for reliving a live TV moment with one touch
    • High-speed archiving from Hard Disk to DVD
    - and I suspect that PowerCity reduced the price to compete with Lidl offering, partially because their 160GB Philips model is only €10 cheaper.

I ordered online to collect (there is also an option to have it delivered) and I got a call from PowerCity to confirm my order shortly after 9AM the next day (I made my order at 1 or 2 in the morning). The guy sent an invoice number to me by text, and all I had to do was quote the number at the checkout in PowerCity to get a receipt and then collect at the back of the building. It was all fairly quick and painless (it would have been a pain the ass if the queue at checkout had been longer, fortunenately it wasn't).

And don't pay any attention to the stock levels on PowerCity's website - the numbers for this DVD recorder haven't changed in several days and I know that they've sold at least one in that time.

Where did you see the reports rubbishing Phillips? I like the look of that model and the price at Power City seems great. I might pop in and buy one tomorrow

Has the DVDR3595H got these as mentioned on the DVDR3480

CONNECTION FOR USB FLASH DRIVE
    ILINK CAMCORDER INPUT
    PLAYS DIVX.

As sometimes the inferior/cheaper model displays details the superior model has already & doesnt need to show them, that model (cheaper one) is also the same price at a few other places even during the sales :mad:

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Mossy

standbyme wrote: »
    Has the DVDR3595H got these as mentioned on the DVDR3480

CONNECTION FOR USB FLASH DRIVE
    ILINK CAMCORDER INPUT
    PLAYS DIVX.

Yes, according to the manual.

Note that files copied from USB cannot be written to DVD and video recorded from TV cannot be copied to USB. JPG, DivX avi, mp3 and wma files can be copied between USB and the HDD (both directions), or can be played directly from the USB flash drive.

Also note: ILINK = Firewire = 1394

Yes, according to the manual.

Note that files copied from USB cannot be written to DVD and video recorded from TV cannot be copied to USB. JPG, DivX avi, mp3 and wma files can be copied between USB and the HDD (both directions), or can be played directly from the USB flash drive.

I only came across the cheaper model today by accident as i was lookin at the players in Curry's & this fella was sent in by his son to get that model, i gave him a hand to look for it, (while one of the staff went into the storeroom, i found it on the shelf opp :D lucky) Are most DVD players/recorders Divx compatible now?

As i have a Goodmans DVDR for quite a while, but would trade-in for that!
    Also note: ILINK = Firewire = 1394

You learn something new about cables & diff names :p
    inc. HD READY/ FULL HD i didnt know that either.

This is prob off-topic, but is there a site with a glossary or setout rules on pickin an LCD/DVDR etc.

Thanks.

Just to keep this in the thread. The Targa DRH-5600x is a rebadged LG RH278H (or similar) - it's identical to the one in Curry's ad in todays paper.

So to region free (and it worked - be careful when scrolling through Opcodes) :

You need togo into the service menu and change the value below.

Set OP6 from af to 8f.

HOW TO ACCESS TO SERVICE-MENU
    1) turn ON the recorder without disc in the loader.
    2) Press and hold together the up and down arrows on the recorder (not the remote) for about 6 seconds, otherwise press both CLEAR button on the remote control and down arrow on the recorder for the same time.
    3) Use the left & right buttons on the remote to move through the OP codes, up & down buttons to change the codes, press enter to save the changes, then menu/list button to exit. The recorder will switch off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Hi guys,

I bought the Targa DRH 5600x today and was trying to follow the OP Codes instructions on another forum :o and I appear to have screwed it up. I have a weird flashing LED menu that seems to have all the LEDs coming on and off randomly. The player itself is working fine but I really want my front display back. Could someone post the default OP Codes please? I'd really appreciate it - thanks. :D

edit: Also - where would I post a question about the HDMI capabilities of this player - I bought a HDMI to DVI adaptor to connect it to my Samsung Syncmaster 940MW (which is HDCP compliant) but I get no picture (Not Optimum Mode and all that).

Thanks again.

Advertisement