Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling on Lottery

Options
  • 23-12-2007 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone done this? One euro buys you a line and you get a payout on every number so even one correct pick will get you something back.

Labrokes Irish Lotto return start at 6.50 and reach 100,000 for match 5. I did a little research using the lotto.ie number search, they only publish results where at least 3 numbers came up but putting in a "random cluster" of 5 number between 28-39 with the 6th number being 1 (you can only bet using 5 numbers but need 6 to check on lotto.ie of course)

Disregarding the number 1, I would have won 3 matches 3s and 1 match 2 this year which is a win of €1700 for an outlay of 1 euro x 104 draws.

2006 would have netted €1800
    2005 would have returned only €106.
    2004 would have been €1100
    2003 would bring €8000 etc etc.

Remember all the match 1 wins would also add up.

There is money to be made I think.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

i won €53 on wed night there, just wondering how much i would have won in the bookies??

i matched 4 numbers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

thewools wrote: »
    i won €53 on wed night there, just wondering how much i would have won in the bookies??

i matched 4 numbers??

€6,501 according to ladbrokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

mike65 wrote: »
    Disregarding the number 1, I would have won 3 matches 3s and 1 match 2 this year which is a win of €1700 for an outlay of 1 euro x 104 draws.

The bit in red should read 10 euro x 104 draws, as 5 selections is ten trebles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How do you mean? (see screenshot)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/Lotto.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

aphex™ wrote: »
    €6,501 according to ladbrokes.

jesus...bit of a difference there :mad:

thought i was doing well with my €53 lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

How do you mean? (see screenshot)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/Lotto.jpg

Mike.

The right hand side of your screenshot, in the red writing:

All numbers selected in a bet must be drawn for you to win.

e.g. pick 3 you have to match 3. pick 5 you have to match 5, if you pick 5 and match 3 you are on a loser.

So if you picked 5 numbers, and wanted them in 1 euro trebles it would cost you 10 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

If anyone thinks you can make money from the bookies by betting on the lotto then they are obviously a MUG punter! Ladbrokes, and any other betting company have a number of traders who work out the maths/probability of each bet! The lotto is easier for the bookies because its random numbers like roulette for example!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

lolkelly wrote: »
    If anyone thinks you can make money from the bookies by betting on the lotto then they are obviously a MUG punter! Ladbrokes, and any other betting company have a number of traders who work out the maths/probability of each bet! The lotto is easier for the bookies because its random numbers like roulette for example!
    What are you on about? Its a sure thing! :D

The bookies have gotten so rich that they are complacent now and aren't even bothered checking up on things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

There is money to be made I think.

Mike.

Breakeven returns should be 7 for 1 number, 57.40 for 2 numbers, 574 for 3, 7462 for 4 and 141778 for 5 numbers.

Hmm, if i've got the numbers right, choosing 3 numbers is (minimal) value. Anyone check the calcs ?

Put another way, there are 11,480 combos of 3 numbers from the 42. Every draw will have 20 of these combos. So, if you could put in 11,480 lines, you'd get 20*576 back which is a net profit of 40,or 0.35% which isn't exactly 'money to be made'. All other combos are losing bets.

EDIT : Ignore that. Just realised there are 45 balls in the lotto, not 42, so all bets are losing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

hmmmmmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A new low for this forum.

News Years resolutions for loads of people should be.

a). Accumulators = NO.
    b). €5 bets = NO.
    c). Its on TV so Have a Bet = NO.

Minimum bet of one Day Wages, Singles only. (And price it up before you even go near a bookies).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

a). Accumulators = NO.
    b). €5 bets = NO.

Minimum bet of one Day Wages, Singles only. (And price it up before you even go near a bookies).

Oh my god ill be bored s**itless if i stick with that new years resolution:p:p

A days wages?!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A days wages?!

Mike.

Aye, the theory being that you will have a lot less 'fun' bets, will bet much more selectively and only bet when you are sure that you have an edge.

It was one of the best bits of advice I was ever given, and I just wish that I was sensible enough to follow it.

I guess there is something in that, trouble is I'd still proberbly have back Newcastle to beat Derby.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Didnt read the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

a). Accumulators = NO.
    b). €5 bets = NO.

i agree with most of this - cut out the "fun" bets - they're there for a reason and dey're 76/1 for a reason - they come in one in 76 attempts. yeh its only 5 euro, but the ten times you try it . . . just put that on two "certs" man u, arsenal games and make a small profit . . . denman in the horses, kauto star . . theyre the clever bet IMO, and from talking to a friend who works in a bookies, theyre the only people who actually make a profit (long term)

Also keep to what you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

semibluff wrote: »
    i agree with most of this - cut out the "fun" bets - they're there for a reason and dey're 76/1 for a reason - they come in one in 76 attempts. yeh its only 5 euro, but the ten times you try it . . . just put that on two "certs" man u, arsenal games and make a small profit . . . denman in the horses, kauto star . . theyre the clever bet IMO, and from talking to a friend who works in a bookies, theyre the only people who actually make a profit (long term)

Also keep to what you know

Disagree with this big time, if this was the case we would all be rich - rich I tell you!

No horse is a certainty - ever! Unless the race is fixed for course and that never happens.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

really???

ohh stupid me, thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

semibluff wrote: »
    they're there for a reason and dey're 76/1 for a reason - they come in one in 76 attempts.

If its a bookmakers you're dealing with, its more like 1 in 79 or 80. Thats how they make money, remember?

The Arsenal/United bets aren't going too well today either. Mugs game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Betting on the lotto is even too mad for me ;)
    Ill stick to sports

Advertisement