Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

G6 stay defiant vs FAI

• 23-12-2007 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

6 stay defiant

Sunday Indo - December 23 2007

The G6 of the eircom League are playing a high-risk strategy by hitching their wagons to Fintan Drury's Platinum-driven chariot for a new All-Ireland League. Drury told FAI CEO John Delaney last week that plans were continuing apace for the League, with support from clubs on both sides of the border, including Linfield, and the intention was to kick off next September.

Unimpressed, Delaney issued a statement declaring a meeting between the FAI and the IFA next month to discuss matters of "mutual interest." The message was clear: if any All-Ireland League is to take off, it has to be a joint FAI/IFA production.

The six rebels; Drogheda United, Cork City, Derry City, St Pat's, Bohemians and Galway United, need to be wary. With the League starting on March 7, the FAI need to know who is inside their tent, and who's not.

If the 'G6' can't commit, they risk expulsion. Also, the FAI won't nominate Drogheda, Cork, St Pat's and Bohs for European club competition.

The 16 clubs outside the loop are watching developments keenly. If the FAI stand firm, Shamrock Rovers could find themselves in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League, while Waterford United and Longford Town would be re-instated to the Premier Division.

what the jebus will we do till sept :confused:

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What happens with this? and where does it stand in FIFA's rules? ie if the breakaway clubs form a league and the rest of the FAI/IFA clubs stay in their respective leagues ,who is the new league representing, surely they won t have european places etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Only in Ireland does this happen.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Stekelly wrote: »
    What happens with this? and where does it stand in FIFA's rules? ie if the breakaway clubs form a league and the rest of the FAI/IFA clubs stay in their respective leagues ,who is the new league representing, surely they won t have european places etc?
    Well, they won't receive UEFA recognition for starters unless it's run under the auspices of their national league/s which is affiliated to UEFA. They might as well be playing in their back gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I dunno, I was surprised when I found out exactly how serious they were about this. It really does look like they're gonna push this as far as they can, but the FAI won't go for it.

I read an interesting quote by the Delaney's counterpart in the IFA, he basically said that there is always the feeling that the IFA is concerned with the national team to the detriment of the league and he guesses it's not much different in the south.

And thats basically what will happen here, the FAI don't want to loose power, despite this being the only way the Irish league will develop.

psi wrote: »
    And thats basically what will happen here, the FAI don't want to loose power, despite this being the only way the Irish league will develop.

Why should the FAI loose power so the Irish League can develop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

TBh ive not bbefollowing this too closely lately.

Im guessing though that the FAi have put the stoppers on it while the IFA want it to go ahead?
    The clubs involved will have a hard time pulling anything off as the league will not be recognised in any way shape or form without some sort of backing from the national heads.

its a shame, i think it would really improve the state of club football on both sides of the border.

Why should the FAI loose power so the Irish League can develop?

Well in much the same way the FA don't have direct power over the English Premier League, the context of this move seems to give power to the sponsors and the chairmen. Were this to go ahead, they would still be under the FAI umbrella, but ultimately, the FAI probably have no commercial rights to the league itself (as the FA and the EPL are).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Well in much the same way the FA don't have direct power over the English Premier League, the context of this move seems to give power to the sponsors and the chairmen. Were this to go ahead, they would still be under the FAI umbrella, but ultimately, the FAI probably have no commercial rights to the league itself (as the FA and the EPL are).

So by directly copying the PL model we would have clubs making money therefore generation players (albeit for england) but still slubs making money.

Altho it pains me Linfield vs Rovers will happen one day and as long its policed correctly it will be "the game", this being ireland and the league being good for both countries playerwise and clubwise it prolly wont happen.

UEFA stated few years ago we had 10 years as seperate national teams before we would have to join up, granted that was when it was a IFA FAI thig now its a "Premier" league thing.

A certain dublin club who have an ex UEFA youth person as their director of football have had talks with the G14 about joining and receiving backing for this league.

Methinks theres more to this than just all ireland.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    So by directly copying the PL model we would have clubs making money therefore generation players (albeit for england) but still slubs making money.

I dunno, I'd like to think that if there was money, they should be focusing as much on player retention as they should be attracting players to the game.

I've no doubt that if investors, who include Setanta and Sky, are going to pump in money, they want to see something that is going to draw people in. Initially, what I'd expect is the signing of older premiership pros, most probably Irish, who would otherwise drop a division (think Connolly, Kavanagh, O'Brien) and maybe some foreigners of the same idea.

But the real challenge will be to bring through young players and be able to offer them enough to keep them in Ireland as opposed to going to the championship or lower league teams. You can't compete with the EPL, so that will be an issue, but if we can erase the need for clubs to sell, while also allowing attractive contracts for players, then they can start to compete and improve.
    Altho it pains me Linfield vs Rovers will happen one day and as long its policed correctly it will be "the game", this being ireland and the league being good for both countries playerwise and clubwise it prolly wont happen..

You know I've had a few heated debates with EL fans on this forum when I point out that the EL is to blame for it's poor product and marketing. I am usually slightly unfair as even with improved marketing, the money for investment in facilities for fans is scarce, so I'm always asked "where will this money come from".

Well here is the answer, every single EL club should be embracing this with arms open, this is the chance at a league and if they can take the ELs commercial rights out of the hands of the FAI, all the better!!

But as long as fans and clubs oppose it or look down on it or rue the involvement of the north, it's never likely to happen.

I dunno, I'd like to think that if there was money, they should be focusing as much on player retention as they should be attracting players to the game.

I've no doubt that if investors, who include Setanta and Sky, are going to pump in money, they want to see something that is going to draw people in. Initially, what I'd expect is the signing of older premiership pros, most probably Irish, who would otherwise drop a division (think Connolly, Kavanagh, O'Brien) and maybe some foreigners of the same idea.

There is food chain in football know your place and stick to it, there enough players here to make a step up just lacking the motivation ie money R Keane played for Crumlin United he wasnt the best player in that team, there was another who went to shels for a bit now back in LSL had trials with M City but his ma wouldnt let him go till he did his leaving. Kavanagh was offered 2.5 k off Pats but wanted 5k as he moving back here anyway, tbh would rather not get that type of player at pats.
    But the real challenge will be to bring through young players and be able to offer them enough to keep them in Ireland as opposed to going to the championship or lower league teams. You can't compete with the EPL, so that will be an issue, but if we can erase the need for clubs to sell, while also allowing attractive contracts for players, then they can start to compete and improve.

No its not player retention will not happen ever even at the top someone always has more money, if an offer comes in take it and have someone ready to take his place the more sales the more players will think they do have a chance, the last batch to go overseas having mixed results Byrne 7th choice at Cardiff O Callaghan a legend with ipswich, Hoolahan also legend, Molloy returned to bray. All got paid regardless so if that carrot is there for the best they be mad no to take it.

You know I've had a few heated debates with EL fans on this forum when I point out that the EL is to blame for it's poor product and marketing. I am usually slightly unfair as even with improved marketing, the money for investment in facilities for fans is scarce, so I'm always asked "where will this money come from".

Well here is the answer, every single EL club should be embracing this with arms open, this is the chance at a league and if they can take the ELs commercial rights out of the hands of the FAI, all the better!!

But as long as fans and clubs oppose it or look down on it or rue the involvement of the north, it's never likely to happen.

But they wont for fear of the FAI, noone ever took a chance investment wise with the EL so its plodded along. I know its a decent standard but the grounds are in ****e and only now after some people with money took a chance on it will we see people going to decent stadia? doubt it but least i know there 4500 pats fans out there who will eventually go hopefully at the same time, weekly :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

No its not player retention will not happen ever even at the top someone always has more money, if an offer comes in take it and have someone ready to take his place the more sales the more players will think they do have a chance, the last batch to go overseas having mixed results Byrne 7th choice at Cardiff O Callaghan a legend with ipswich, Hoolahan also legend, Molloy returned to bray. All got paid regardless so if that carrot is there for the best they be mad no to take it.

I dunno, from various articles I've read, alot of the problems young irish footballers face abroad also include indiscipline, homesickness and lifestyle. Maybe these would be lessened in Ireland and the results would be less mixed.

I think player retention in terms of the EPL will never happen, but can an all ireland league compete with the football league in england? I think so.
    But they wont for fear of the FAI, noone ever took a chance investment wise with the EL so its plodded along. I know its a decent standard but the grounds are in ****e and only now after some people with money took a chance on it will we see people going to decent stadia? doubt it but least i know there 4500 pats fans out there who will eventually go hopefully at the same time, weekly :D

You'd be surprised. People go to see household names. I still think that if the EL put a bit of effort into getting their players known at home and had names on billboards, players coaching at schools and maybe turned a few lads into sex symbols, you'd get more people at grounds (and while the die hard fans may disdain, the clubs would benefit, which is all that counts, right?).

To prove the point, after the youth world cup that featured Robbie Keane, Ireland U18s player Northern Ireland U18s in tolka park. It was a sell out game, most people turned up to see Robbie Keane and didn't know other players from adam. Keane was playing at Wolves and impressing (iirc) but nowhere near premiership standard.

If an All Ireland League attracted and could afford players like Robbie Fowler, Kenny Cunningham, Matt Holland, Danny Mills (if only to hear Giles give out about him), Sylvain Legwinski, Keith Gillespie, Kevin Phillips ... all players who are household names in the championship... I think people would pay and turn up to see that. I reckon few liverpool fans here, would fail to turn up at least once to watch Fowler play, if not support a team he played for in Ireland.

As it is, noone knows the names, there isn't an aggresive marketing strategy and it needs to change.

I notice the eL fans here have a real "we don't want that kinda fan" attitude at times and then complain about people not supporting the league... *boggle*

To prove the point, after the youth world cup that featured Robbie Keane, Ireland U18s player Northern Ireland U18s in tolka park. It was a sell out game, most people turned up to see Robbie Keane and didn't know other players from adam. Keane was playing at Wolves and impressing (iirc) but nowhere near premiership standard.

Pats signed 3 of the u20 side that played argentina in 97, they were at the time the most successful irish internatinol players ever!!! Didnt do much for crowds

If an All Ireland League attracted and could afford players like Robbie Fowler, Kenny Cunningham, Matt Holland, Danny Mills

+

I notice the eL fans here have a real "we don't want that kinda fan" attitude at times and then complain about people not supporting the league... *boggle*

Where is the fan in there? a customer or a fan, its something people on here get mixed up with a lot. They expect a standard of football whereas a fan expects to see their team.

Personally none of those players are ones i would like to see in my team I would prefer Haverty or Foran both u18 irish internationals both playing with u18s since they 16, both pats players for 5 years and both on pro contracts, but if you reckon non EL fans would be better entertained with Fowler or Mills or someone player ending his career rather than Haverty or Foran playing and ensuring our internationals make some kind of step up....well one of us is a fan the other a customer looking for a reason to leave the house on a cold wet friday night.

;)

kdjac

Pats signed 3 of the u20 side that played argentina in 97, they were at the time the most successful irish internatinol players ever!!! Didnt do much for crowds
    They weren't Robbi Keane though, they weren't hyped up by all the Irish media...
    Where is the fan in there? a customer or a fan, its something people on here get mixed up with a lot. They expect a standard of football whereas a fan expects to see their team.

Personally none of those players are ones i would like to see in my team I would prefer Haverty or Foran both u18 irish internationals both playing with u18s since they 16, both pats players for 5 years and both on pro contracts, but if you reckon non EL fans would be better entertained with Fowler or Mills or someone player ending his career rather than Haverty or Foran playing and ensuring our internationals make some kind of step up....well one of us is a fan the other a customer looking for a reason to leave the house on a cold wet friday night.
    Well then all I can say is if the clubs are listening to the fans, the fans have the league they deserve.

Well then all I can say is if the clubs are listening to the fans, the fans have the league they deserve.

How so, we have 3 irish youth internationals in our team how would any fan of any team want some old players looking for a gig over 3 players who came from the youths and are good, really really good.

kdjac

How so, we have 3 irish youth internationals in our team how would any fan of any team want some old players looking for a gig over 3 players who came from the youths and are good, really really good.

kdjac

Using Fowler as an example. If someone had signed him you'd instantly get more than likely a full house at the first couple of game with Liverpool fans wanting to see him. It would fall away after that but you'd get a percentage that would stick around and maybe become fans. Surely thats the medium - long term goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Using Fowler as an example. If someone had signed him you'd instantly get more than likely a full house at the first couple of game with Liverpool fans wanting to see him. It would fall away after that but you'd get a percentage that would stick around and maybe become fans. Surely thats the medium - long term goal?

You don't think the problem of cocaine abuse is bad enough already in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

have to agree with this, its a bit pathetic but thats the way a lot of irish fans are

the likes of robbie fowler would guarentee a boost in interest in the league, absolutely. itd be a temporary boost, but it raises profile and gets bums on seats

Helix wrote: »
    have to agree with this, its a bit pathetic but thats the way a lot of irish fans are

the likes of robbie fowler would guarentee a boost in interest in the league, absolutely. itd be a temporary boost, but it raises profile and gets bums on seats

And 3 irish youth internationals would be better for the longterm future of the club and country, i have every faith Haverty will get us a million from a PL side and play for the full national side.

And we have his replacement in our 16s also an irish youth international.

Granted wont get bums on seats like Fowler but cant see how wanting the best for my club/country via youth and development is pathetic :confused:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/youth/collins/ our last youth who left without any monies owed, what if hes the new fowler........

kdjac

PDN wrote: »
    You don't think the problem of cocaine abuse is bad enough already in Ireland?

:rolleyes:

And 3 irish youth internationals would be better for the longterm future of the club and country, i have every faith Haverty will get us a million from a PL side and play for the full national side.

And we have his replacement in our 16s also an irish youth international.

Granted wont get bums on seats like Fowler but cant see how wanting the best for my club/country via youth and development is pathetic :confused:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/youth/collins/ our last youth who left without any monies owed, what if hes the new fowler........

kdjac

Surely the whole league developing together through incresed interest is better long term than bringing through players and selling them on a club by club basis. A coupl eo fmillion every few years will keep the club ticking over as is, it wont get you CL football. The whole league stepping up even a small level should have teams regularly in the 3rd qualifying (ie more often than not) round and with a good draw have a team in the group stages every 2-4 years.

Why would you not still have your 3 Irish youth internationals as well as Fowler anyway?

• Advertisement

Surely the whole league developing together through incresed interest is better long term than bringing through players and selling them on a club by club basis. A coupl eo fmillion every few years will keep the club ticking over as is, it wont get you CL football. The whole league stepping up even a small level should have teams regularly in the 3rd qualifying (ie more often than not) round and with a good draw have a team in the group stages every 2-4 years.

Why would you not still have your 3 Irish youth internationals as well as Fowler anyway?

I think thats another problem with the eL. Fans want a better league, they want more interest from Irish people, but they want the better league their way and the want Irish people to be interested in their league.

The fact that the product is a pile of crap seems to be beside the point.

In reality, the addition of several high profile players along with the extra money to keep all but the very best young talent, would probably gain the league more interest, more fans and a higher standing in Europe.

I think thats another problem with the eL. Fans want a better league, they want more interest from Irish people, but they want the better league their way and the want Irish people to be interested in their league.

The fact that the product is a pile of crap seems to be beside the point.

In reality, the addition of several high profile players along with the extra money to keep all but the very best young talent, would probably gain the league more interest, more fans and a higher standing in Europe.

Vs your way which is to get in high profile injury prone oldies who have little to offer only a name on the back of a jersey and wouldnt actually make a club money to invest in itself and develop players themselves.

Did you all rush to see Carlton Palmer when he played for Dublin City? lol he was awesome.

Standard of football doesnt need to improve from pats think we fine with our ex arsenal, ex world cup player, ex championship player and ex rangers player, think that midfield will play some nice football as it did last season, now if only we could defend :)

Cardiff arent a club to model ourselves on Rosenborg are.

kdjac

Liverpool customers;)

Its really pathetic actually, every year there are big profile friendlies with the amazing English clubs and a certain Scottish club you all seem to hail, but yet you see the standard of football and don't return to see that team play weekly:eek: Example: Finn Harps beat a semi-first team Celtic team during the summer, Finn Park was a sell-out(over 5,000) and you look at there average attendence at about 1,500:confused: so all the crap about the standard of football is complete trollox.

Its really pathetic actually, every year there are big profile friendlies with the amazing English clubs and a certain Scottish club you all seem to hail, but yet you see the standard of football and don't return to see that team play weekly:eek: Example: Finn Harps beat a semi-first team Celtic team during the summer, Finn Park was a sell-out(over 5,000) and you look at there average attendence at about 1,500:confused: so all the crap about the standard of football is complete trollox.

It's actually the EL fans attitude towards Irish people supporting English clubs thats pathetic tbh. As for the friendlies, 1) the people are turning up to see the visitors and 2) if you think they'd beat them in competitive games your awfully niave (why are Celtc in the CL knockout stages while Finn Harps players are on holiday?

It's actually the EL fans attitude towards Irish people supporting English clubs thats pathetic tbh

Care to explain?

I've seen Shelbourne go from the best team in the league and making milestones in Europe for an LoI club go down to the 1st Divison, all because our owner wanted to move the club to higher ground to gain the almightly respect of our fickle amazing national of Football customers, taking that risk failed and now we have debts running up to God only knows while people are out there going to see English and Scottish clubs playing weekly abroad, buying all the merchandise, etc...
    why are Celtc in the CL knockout stages while Finn Harps players are on holiday?

The LoI is a summer league therefore our season runs from March to November:rolleyes:

The LoI is a summer league therefore our season runs from March to November:rolleyes:

So does your invovlment in European competitions ( at a huge stretch) which was my point.

The attitudetowards PL fans is the usual "you should be supporting an Irish team" rubbish

The attitudetowards PL fans is the usual "you should be supporting an Irish team" rubbish

Once again please explain?

Do you support the English National Football team? Or do you support an English Rugby Club?

its not, you really need to read posts

im saying that taking something like a past it english journeyman to get bums on seats is pathetic, not wanting decent young underage internationals

ive supported an irish team since i was brought to my first drogs game 18 years ago, i also support an english team

imo if youre into football you SHOULD be supporting an irish team, but i dont think that means you shouldnt have any interest in a team abroad

• Advertisement

imo if youre into football you SHOULD be supporting an irish team, but i dont think that means you shouldnt have any interest in a team abroad

This has been done to death , but theres no obligation to do anything other than what you want. I want to support Liverpool, end of.

This has been done to death , but theres no obligation to do anything other than what you want. I want to support Liverpool, end of.

Answer me this, why is Ireland the only country in Europe and one of the very few in the world that has people following a foreign team before a local team?

Answer me this, why is Ireland the only country in Europe and one of the very few in the world that has people following a foreign team before a local team?

Iv'e seen and met plaenty of Scandanavians at Anfield over the years. Thers also a good few Spaniards showing up in the last few years.

Ive bought a couple of Liverpool jersies in Germany over the years too. I doubt they had them in stock waiting for some Irish people to come along.

A top quality league within spitting distance when you dont have a decent one yourself wil always draw support.

My dad playing in the LOI and doesnt support it.

Finally , heres the kicker, why do you care what other people do? look after and worry about yourself ad dont be concernign yourself with other peoples business. Do you really want astadium full of peopl ethat are just their because they've been guilted into going?

what i cant get my head round tho, is how anyone with an honest interest in football can have no interest in their own national league

to be perfectly honest i DO think that this all ireland league will change this with setanta/sky money and presentation

i have countless mates who claim the eL to be rubbish without having even so much as watched a game on telly, and theyll admit to that on the basis of "sure if it was any use itd be on sky", and i honestly believe that if it WAS on sky youd have 10 times the interest within 12 months

Iv'e seen and met plaenty of Scandanavians at Anfield over the years. Thers also a good few Spaniards showing up in the last few years.

Ive bought a couple of Liverpool jersies in Germany over the years too. I doubt they had them in stock waiting for some Irish people to come along.

Go look at the Scandanavians clubs attendences they don't seem to be suffering, actually they have some very good clubs over there.

Go look at the German league too attendences aren't within a mile as small as the LoI attendences.

Not sure if you watched Ross Kemp on Polish hooligans, but during the progamme he went to a Polish 3rd Divison game and there was nearly 3,000 fans at the match, I could bet you any team in the LoI (Premier or 1st Divison) would beat either team that played that day. Can you tell me whats the difference in Polish fans and Irish fans?

you can bet your bottom dollar they all support teams in their national league tho

• Advertisement

Go look at the Scandanavians clubs attendences they don't seem to be suffering, actually they have some very good clubs over there.

Go look at the German league too attendences aren't within a mile as small as the LoI attendences.

They are being offered this at home:

Give the people a decent standard in decent staiums and European football and they will start turning up.

you can bet your bottom dollar they all support teams in their national league tho

They cant be too commited to their own leagues if they are spending their weekends flyign to England for matches.

A top quality league within spitting distance when you dont have a decent one yourself wil always draw support

a bit more support from people would see us with a decent quality league you DONT have to fly to to watch tho

im well aware that its catch 22, but it honestly does baffle me why more people dont give the eL a chance, yet theyll sit down and watch fulham v birmingham from the EPL followed by ipswich v blackpool in the championship aer a saturday

what i cant get my head round tho, is how anyone with an honest interest in football can have no interest in their own national league

to be perfectly honest i DO think that this all ireland league will change this with setanta/sky money and presentation

i have countless mates who claim the eL to be rubbish without having even so much as watched a game on telly, and theyll admit to that on the basis of "sure if it was any use itd be on sky", and i honestly believe that if it WAS on sky youd have 10 times the interest within 12 months

Spot on mate, spot on. But honestly the day English people come to watch Irish clubs playing every week, or the day stadiums become all seater no standing allow, etc... will be the day I stop supporting the LoI if that day ever comes.

They cant be too commited to their own leagues if they are spending their weekends flyign to England for matches.

why do you think that? do you know that they go every single weekend or something?

i go to gigs all over europe, does it mean i wont support a band if theyre playing here? by your logic it does

• Advertisement

Thats probably a few hundred people, maybe a thousand. Have you ever seen bars full of people in Scandanavia wearing Liverpool, Man Utd, etc... jersies and tracksuit?

Seriously, as I've said, why do you get so worked up tryign to convince people who dont want to go to EL football to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Even at Christmas time, people argue over stupid stuff :rolleyes:

Seriously, as I've said, why do you get so worked up tryign to convince people who dont want to go to EL football to go?

The number of teams ceasing to exist because of lacks of money thats what.:rolleyes:

Any chance you can answer my previous question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I don't want to watch old pros living off past glories.

i want a league that can live off itself.

Its not us and them either which is how you seem to approach every EL debate.

i dont thin anyones trying to convince you of anything

The number of teams ceasing to exist because of lacks of money thats what.:rolleyes:

thats another side of it

i dont think these people realise that without a national league the republic of ireland footie team dont fulfil fifas criteria to play in fifa/uefa sanctioned matches and tournaments

so no league in ireland means no national team

I don't want to watch old pros living off past glories.

i want a league that can live off itself.

Its not us and them either which is how you seem to approach every EL debate.

Us and them? eL fans and non eL fans?

I'm not saying that the league sould be based on past-it players for all time, I'm saying that attracting some big name players here instead of to the championship would be something that would probably get bums on seats in the eL.

The championship teams know it and they use that approach, hell the MLS teams know it with Beckham et al. There has been more interest in MLS since Beckham, Angel et al arrived than ever before. Same could hapen here, build a league with interest and then reap the profits to let it develop on its own merits.

You can make something out of nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I think that bringing in old pros could be the best approach they could take, even though its not the ideal option. It will bring a few more people to the grounds and sell more jerseys, which would still leave the money for bringing through promising young players. As psi said thats why Beckham was brought to the US, the money and interset he brings in pays his wages and then some, and he doesnt even have to play very often. It is simple marketing and if done correctly could bring a lot of money to he Irish leagues. If joining the leagues brings more money to the clubs then why not do it, thats the only way they can develope the league because the current set up just isnt working and imo the standard is not improving as much as it should be.

old pros is definitely the short term solution imo, itll get people going to games and itll also give kids the seasoned pros to learn from. do that for a few seasons and youll find theres a hell of a lot more people going to games here

im not talking 36 year old former top flighters, but guys in their early 30s

as said its not ideal, but its the best solution as of this moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement