Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work placement - Advice needed

• 23-12-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hello

Im an Industrial engineer and next year I am doing a work placement for a medical manufacturer. The placement is lasting 3+ months and I feel very lucky to have been chosen for it. But im quite apprehensive about it, so I have a few questions and also seeking general advice about these types of work placements.

They have told me I will be doing different things around the company. Including projects, research and manual work as well as working with the other engineers on implementing Lean manuf.

-What kind of projects/research do you think would be involved?
    -In college, I used the internet as my main source in projects/research (Using cited sources only), do companys have a negative view of using the internet as a main source?

Im sure I can think of more questions later but I would like to hear what people think. The reason I didnt ask in the interview is because I felt I had already asked a lot of questions, asking too many questions and I may have come off as an idiot

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I would use the internet as an initial source in order to gain a broad view of a subject. After that it is better to use books, journals etc as they contain more accurate information (Usually)

You are going in as a placement, the projects you will be involved with will most likely be small projects as you are not there long enough to have the necessary experience to deal with the bigger projects.

These companies recognise you are new in and wll give you the training required to do what you have to do. They will tell you what they expect when you start.

I presume you are just finished college. You are not expected to remember everything from college going into the company. Your qualification is a statement to say you are willing and able to learn within a company. It gives you a basis to further learn which companies will further build on.

Dont worry about it. Just go in there and it will all come together.

Advertisement