Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To tin foil or not, that is the question

• 23-12-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'll be roasting a few birds over the holidays. A goose, a duck and a couple of chickens, and watching the various food programmes on the telly, it appears to be completely random whether they use tin foil to cover the beast or not. Is there any rule for it? Should I always cover the bird (and then take it off for the last 20-30 mins to brown off) or does it matter? And if I'm covering it, should the tin foil be just over the roasting dish, loosely, or actually around the bird?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think nowadays people don't tend to cover them with foil. Years ago they did because they were so terrified of undercooking them, they left them in the oven for hours. If they hadn't covered them they'd have been incinerated.
    If you rub the chicken skin with olive oil, lemon juice and rind, and if you want add crushed garlic and sage or rosemary, it will crisp nicely without drying up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

I just bought some of the turkey cooking bags - are they any good?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think it depends on how big the bird is. We always get a whopper so it's covered for a while and then let to brown nicely.
    Oh and I'd cover it loosely.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

RAFC wrote: »
    I just bought some of the turkey cooking bags - are they any good?????
    The Magic Cooking Bags? They are the bee's knees, my dad swears by them, we have yet to have a horrible dry turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Magic Cooking Bags? They are the bee's knees, my dad swears by them, we have yet to have a horrible dry turkey.

Yeah, they seem to work alright.
    I think some people use tin foil to stop any grease, etc. spattering on the inside of the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

it's simply a different method of cooking

Advertisement