Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accountancy or engineering?

• 23-12-2007 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Want to leave first year engineering for accountancy...
    Am i crazy?

Comments

Possibly.

I originally considered going the business/accounting route myself, so it isn't unheard of. Indeed, I'm doing more management/accounting work at the moment..

In whatever college you're in you could enquire about various routes to transfer into the accounting course you'd like. As for your individual course, perhaps ask on your thread in the accounting forum what 'a day in the life of an accountant' is like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would stick with engineering. you could do business after

2 of my class mates have done that.

One did a masters in actuary in UCD and the other is doing finance in Imperial in London. I plan to do something in Trinity in 3-4 years after I finish my masters off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I did the opposite-dropped out of Accounting and Finance in DCU and went into Engineering in TCD. Best thing I've ever done. Love it in TCD. In 3rd year now and it's going well.

I went and spoke to the careers service in DCU and they sent me the the careers service in TCD for a chat. Then i took the plunge and dropped out, reapplied to the CAO and started up again the following September.

If Engineering's not for you, then so be it. It's a big decision, so don't make it lightly. Get as much information as you can first, and then do it. The only thing is that you have to drop out by the end of January, otherwise you will have to pay a full year of fees if you change course. Otherwise it'll only be a half year's fees.

Good luck with it, hope you make the right choice for yourself.

madnirvana wrote: »

Want to leave first year engineering for accountancy...
    Am i crazy?

Of course it isn't crazy. You'll make 3 times more cash as an accountant, and get treated alot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭madnirvana

i only want to change cuz of money...
    and iv never studies acccountancy before..

• Advertisement

Riiiiiiiiight.

I was going to close this thread but since some people might find some information mentioned helpful, I'll leave it open. But in other news...

millie.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Of course it isn't crazy. You'll make 3 times more cash as an accountant, and get treated alot better.

Why do engineers not get treated as good as accountant?

Alot of engineers go in to work for accounting firms to do management roles. I wonder who would be making more money then? Money isnt the be all and end all.
    i only want to change cuz of money...
    and iv never studies acccountancy before..

Spoken like a true engineer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

i only want to change cuz of money...QUOTE]

It is a big decision and I think you should maybe try and get a work placement next summer and then decide. Yeah the money is important but I think if you ask most engineers get a lot from their job and find it rewarding.

No matter what job you end up in you'll believe at some stage that you should be paid more and the that the grass is always greener.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Irjudge1 wrote: »
    'and the that the grass is always greener.

Best comment on this thread so far, why do you want to change?, if its just because of money, your mad, what you'll do for the next four years in college is most likely the same sh*t that you'll be doing for the next 40 years. At the end of the day acccountancy is no easier than engineering, and at this early in your career its impossible to know what sort of job you'll have in 10/20 years time and how much you'll be earning. The odds are that you'll earn a reasonable and comfortable wage with either engineering or accounting and you should base your decision on what you'll enjoy doing for 1/3 of of every weekday for most of your life.

Advertisement