Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target shooting club/range list?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'd love to think so civ. I really, really, really, really, really, really would...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    In the same way that your ulnar collateral is somewhat a copy of your clunium...

And the American constitution was copied from the French.. Which of course is why all Americans speak fluent French and have such exquisite clothes sense.

Not to mention their fine cuisine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

rrpc wrote: »
    There's the 'City of Dublin Pistol Club', but I've never it being referred to as the Inner City... One of their members posts here, so perhaps he can confirm if there's any connection or not.

No Connection, Have not heard of this club either.

MEAGLE.B How long is your club in existance? Does your club have a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

spoke to FO last week, he said i MUST BE MEMBER OF CLUB.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

MEAGLE.B wrote: »
    DeVore...
    Yes we are still accepting members and all inner city as well as surrounding area's are welcome. We are a pistol only shooting club with a 3 lane indoor gallery with a tea/coffee area. Admission is on a pistol only licence and by appointment only basis.We are currently in court proceedings for the issue of a Licence Certificate. Ballistics/Crime Prevention/Inspectors were happy with our premises but the hold up is the Superintendent.Send me a PM with a contact phone no and i'll be happy to show u around.
    I'm not generally keen on sending my contact details to anyone on the site for reasons of personal safety and also for privacy. Call me paranoid but I have to deal with a number of cranks, weirdos and nazi (literally, the Irish Nazi Party) on a regular basis. Sorry to be all sooper-sekrit but only give that kind of information to people I know.

Anyway, can you tell me the name of your club? Is it the one linked above or another one or is it not up an running yet? If you can contact me I'm am actually kind of interested in learning more about this sport, since I did shoot targets in TCD when I was younger :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dGeneral

japbyrne wrote: »
    spoke to FO last week, he said i MUST BE MEMBER OF CLUB.
    Of course, he'll say that, as they dont want to give the firearm licence out that easy. There using the Amendment below which is not in force yet. We dont live in a police state "Thank God" Check out the Act below, contact the Dept of Justice enquiring about when that amendment was passed...? and if not, there using a law thats not passed...i.e. not in force........The Super can use his discression, but his discression is not law............

Firearms Act 2006

Section 4 Conditions of grant of firearm certificate.

Check it out, then put that to your firearms officer.....if your not getting through to him, suggest that your goin to apply to the courts. I went through the same **** and recieved mine.....I was not very very very lucky..!! They knew that a court would award in my favour and that, they would be wasting tax money in the process.

Being a member of a rifle/pistol covers the Supers arse, as he does'nt want ppl with hand pistols shooting in fields......but it will be mandatory to be a member of a (Authorised and Licenced) Club to renew your licence....maybe next year/the year after, but not as yet....

Hope it helps.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Unless you require a pistol for humane dispatch, and thus have a deer licence, why would require a pistol of any kind if you are not target shooting? If you are not commmited enough to join a target club to obtain a pistol and just intend to use it wherever you fancy!!

Why should he grant you a licence? If you do something stupid or have an inapropriate backstop and something happens, it is the supers arse on the line. He doesnt know you, why should he vouch for you by granting you a licence for a pistol with no clear place for discharge!

"(2) The conditions subject to which a firearm certificate may be granted are that, in the opinion of the issuing person, the applicant—

(a) has a good reason for requiring the firearm in respect of which the certificate is applied for,"

(e) where the firearm is a rifle or pistol to be used for target shooting, is a member of an authorised rifle or pistol club,

What other reason would you be applying for a pistol other than target shooting or humane dispatch? And therefore you should be a member of a target club or hold a deer licence, as a RESPONSIBLE firearms owner. Why put off the inevitable, if you will have to be a member, according to the law, in the future why whine about it and just do it now??

this is just my thoughts in a few moments, how many other reasons could a super come up with with a few weeks to mull over

dGeneral wrote: »
    Of course, he'll say that, as they dont want to give the firearm licence out that easy.
    Which is his legal right, and since he bears the responsibility for ensuring the public safety, he's doing the right thing in doing so (so long as he doesn't go completely over the top).
    The Super can use his discression, but his discression is not law.
    Actually, it is. Read the last few paragraphs of the High Court's ruling on Dunne v Donoghue and how the Supreme Court agreed - they both said Supers could impose individual preconditions on applicants as they saw fit to protect the public safety.
    Check it out, then put that to your firearms officer
    Speaking as the author of both those documents, let me be the first to tell you that what you've taken from them was never put in them in the first place. Certainly the approach you're advocating, of waltzing into your local garda station with an aggressive mindset and an attitude of "I have a right to this, gimme gimme gimme" is as far from the point of those documents as you can get.

newby.204 wrote: »
    Unless you require a pistol for humane dispatch, and thus have a deer licence, why would require a pistol of any kind if you are not target shooting? If you are not commmited enough to join a target club to obtain a pistol and just intend to use it wherever you fancy!!

Why should he grant you a licence? If you do something stupid or have an inapropriate backstop and something happens, it is the supers arse on the line. He doesnt know you, why should he vouch for you by granting you a licence for a pistol with no clear place for discharge!

"(2) The conditions subject to which a firearm certificate may be granted are that, in the opinion of the issuing person, the applicant—

(a) has a good reason for requiring the firearm in respect of which the certificate is applied for,"

(e) where the firearm is a rifle or pistol to be used for target shooting, is a member of an authorised rifle or pistol club,

What other reason would you be applying for a pistol other than target shooting or humane dispatch? And therefore you should be a member of a target club or hold a deer licence, as a RESPONSIBLE firearms owner. Why put off the inevitable, if you will have to be a member, according to the law, in the future why whine about it and just do it now??

this is just my thoughts in a few moments, how many other reasons could a super come up with with a few weeks to mull over

I've held .22 rifle's for over 10 years, "same category" as a pistol and the Super's arse was on the line back then, now the rifle is more powerful than the pistol..........do u agree:confused:....so Why does a Super give all the complications for a Target Pistol application....like the amendment you post above "which has NOT bein passed yet". I suggest u ring up the Dept of Justice to clarify that. My point is, I do not need to be member of any rifle/pistol club to get a target pistol licence........So dont tell me what I need or dont need, as I proved that, with my application, which was succesfull and more to the point, i'm still not a member of any rifle/pistol club...."Clear"....
    RESPONSIBLE, I am very responsible............if not , i'm sure my 10+ years of holding "such permits" would be non existing.......

I've held .22 rifle's for over 10 years, "same category" as a pistol and the Super's arse was on the line back then
    Until Dunne v Donoghue, the status of the Superintendent as persona designata (ie. they're in charge, noone can tell them what to do regarding licencing) was not established in case law. So it wasn't the same sitution as back then.

[qutoe]Why does a Super give all the complications for a Target Pistol application[/quote]
    If you wander in and demand one, I'm not surprised you ran into complications. Several posters here have run into nothing like this. As to why, that's down to the Super. As to why he gave you the licence, I think you may be in for a surprise come renewal time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

I think we are all being had here. The attitude shown by d'general explains why he is not a member of a club. although, if it exists, he may be a candidate for the inner city club or one of it's branches in Finglas, Tallaght or Drimnagh or he might join the sister club in Prague.l

Sparks wrote: »
    Which is his legal right, and since he bears the responsibility for ensuring the public safety, he's doing the right thing in doing so (so long as he doesn't go completely over the top).

Actually, it is. Read the last few paragraphs of the High Court's ruling on Dunne v Donoghue and how the Supreme Court agreed - they both said Supers could impose individual preconditions on applicants as they saw fit to protect the public safety.

Speaking as the author of both those documents, let me be the first to tell you that what you've taken from them was never put in them in the first place. Certainly the approach you're advocating, of waltzing into your local garda station with an aggressive mindset and an attitude of "I have a right to this, gimme gimme gimme" is as far from the point of those documents as you can get.

Preconditions, are not Law, advocating? just suggesting, as for Waltzing, I don't dance, as for the aggressive minset and attitude, all of which you describe (IN YOUR AUTHOR WORDS), if all of the above is what you think, would I have got anywhere.....No.....
    But I did and sorry to , YOU TAUGHT WRONG....very very very wrong....
    If half of the people here listen to your wisdom/advice they would get nowhere, I explained my points on getting my licence (something i was entilted to) and how successful my application was. Now, do you want me to explain the day I went to collect my Target Pistol..........I will if want:D.........Kindergarden books may be a suggestion to futher your career as an Author..........:D

Preconditions, are not Law
    Correct but wrong. Preconditions are not law, but the law (specifically, the case law, and once it's commenced, statute law) states that you must comply with the preconditions.
    as for the aggressive minset and attitude, all of which you describe (IN YOUR AUTHOR WORDS)
    I think that with this we've crossed the line between a wind-up that can be used to disseminate information by answering the questions most people would feel uncomfortable asking, and into the region of a wind-up which isn't contributing and which is aimed at being disruptive for no good reason.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

dGeneral, I'm asking you bluntly and in public if you are Declan Keogh or have any connection to him or to FLAG??

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

im bowing out now i was just trying to be constructively critical of your position and show you another pov clealry i was wrong to bother no more from me on this thread.

DeVore wrote: »
    Anyway, can you tell me the name of your club? Is it the one linked above or another one or is it not up an running yet? If you can contact me I'm am actually kind of interested in learning more about this sport, since I did shoot targets in TCD when I was younger :)

DeV.

If you're really interested DeV, you could always drop down to Rathdrum. We do everything that you would have done in Trinity plus .22 target pistol. All on electronic targets.

I know we're not in the city, but Connolly station is, and the train station in Rathdrum is about a five minute walk to our range :)

You could leave Connolly at twenty to five and be shooting by quarter past six. Finish at quarter to nine and be back in Dublin by ten fifteen....

You'd be very welcome. All you have to do is send me a PM and I'll send you my contact details :)

www.rathdrumrpc.org

dGeneral, I'm asking you bluntly and in public if you are Declan Keogh or have any connection to him or to FLAG??

DeV.
    Well?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Does right to silence work here :D

/me relaxes now that he doesn't have to try to be an impartial mod

Ain't no rights round these here parts, boy...

:D

Dictatorship, a good idea as long as you agree with dictator ;)

• Advertisement

Well, to be fair, all of us did bend over backwards in an effort to remain impartial, and even got annoyed at each other when we thought we weren't bending far enough!

water, bridge, under, the

make words into a sentence :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

Well?

DeV.

I know that DK is away abroad since last Friday therefore he cannot defend himself. The style of Dgeneral, his attitude and his lack of grammatical expertese are not conistent with DK's previous posts( also DK does not go in for wind ups as you know- direct up front argument is more his style) . Before you ask, I am not DK or DGENERAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Sparks, does the Internet work outside Ireland.

I've heard rumours that that might be the case allright Sica...

I'm not making any accusations at Mr Keogh, far from it. In fact I'm trying to clarify who this person is as it wouldnt do to have people thinking or suspecting anything untoward.

So, Mr DGeneral (if that is your real name?) care to answer the question? You were quick enough to answer the others posts. Oh, and remember that I, as the owner of the site am required to hold your IP and connection details under the DPA. That means I can't release them to anyone else but unlike the moderators that used to be here, I *am* allowed access them.

This "dictatorship" will end when this forum returns to its normal function and my site is no longer threatened by childish people looking to throw the toys out of the pram in public. You have a big wide internet out there to do that on, find somewhere else to fight because I'm done with this sh*t.

DeV.

DeV.[/quote

DeVore....
    Declan Keogh ????????????????????????
    Flag ?????????????????????????????????

What are u on ?

(So, Mr DGeneral (if that is your real name?)):rolleyes:
    Mark, (r u happy) as i dont cower-up when asked about my name, like you did when u were offered by The inner City Club and giving the "irish nazi party" as an excuse........

(If you can contact me I'm am actually kind of interested in learning more about this sport, since I did shoot targets in TCD when I was younger):rolleyes:
    Your words above, but you criticize ppl and answer as if you had experience in the subject, you crack on, as if your an expert in this field ?? whilst the nearest you've came to target shooting, was shooting your "Spud-Gun" at cardboard targets in TCD a couple of years ago........

(as the owner of the site am required to hold your IP and connection details under the DPA):rolleyes:
    Good for you as owner....This site (what i thought anyway) was for giving/gaining more information on subjects of interests, instead you condescend others in a subject, you no nothing about. I would have "freely" posted my IP and connection, e-mail address or even phone number to you. But you have it already, so that immature childish threat does'nt bother me in the slightest.:D

Now my inital point was (a point you no nothing about and "were kind of interested in learning more about"), You do not have to be a member of any rifle/pistol club to apply for a target pistol, point which I proved and neither the other clubs commitee argued that point. Why?
    ....because they know its true.

Next time Devore, do a little homework on a subject you know jack-all about, instead of condescending others. Maybe you do it to show some sort of authority "with your site", or do you try intimidate the new users?

TRY HARDER YOU CHILD............
    Mark

You do not have to be a member of any rifle/pistol club to apply for a target pistol
    On this one point, a counterpoint - walk into a super's office, demand a pistol licence for target shooting, refuse to join a target shooting club, and you'll be told no. In less than a year, it'll be a mandatory precondition of your licence with the full weight of statute law behind it, and he won't legally be allowed to give it to you (enjoy yourself when you go to renew in August, by the way). Right now, it's an individual precondition on your licence, set by the Superintendent (and it's been set by every superintendent I've heard of), with the full weight of a high court and supreme court ruling (Dunne v Donoghue) behind it. Challange your super in the courts at your peril, because if he takes you up on it on these grounds, he'll win. No district court in the land would overrule a superintendent who refused to give a licence for a pistol for target shooting to someone who not only had no range on which to shoot at targets, but who also refused to join one and who took a superintendent to court rather than join one. Superintendents have been overruled before by courts, but in this case, your case would be so dodgy that noone in their right mind would rule in your favour. As I said, you got very, very, very lucky if your Super backed down, and I wouldn't count on it ever happening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Was going to put a few reasonable points here , but then i thought ...
    Why feed the Trolls ?

• Advertisement

He seems to be arguing with multiple people and treating them as one.

Would this be referred to as anthropomorphic split personality?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement