Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda to put cctv on military road/summer hill junction

• 23-12-2007 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

i was at the traffic lights by the credit union on summer hill and there was a site notice taped to the lights,and it stated that they were putting cctv in operation at the junction

any idea why they decided to put them there????

eamonn.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Major problems of people jumping the lights?
    I knew a few years back they had temp CCTV camera's up on bunkers hill and college street, they were only there for about a week or so

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

i was at the traffic lights by the credit union on summer hill and there was a site notice taped to the lights,and it stated that they were putting cctv in operation at the junction

any idea why they decided to put them there????

eamonn.

They are going up all over the city. It was in this weeks News and Star
    An Garda Síochána

CCTV SYSTEM

An Garda Síochána formally give notice of their intention to install a Closed Circuit Television Camera System at the following locations in Waterford:

Rockshire Road/Fountain Street, Dock Road roundabout, Merchants Quay/Bridge Street, Meaghers Quay/Barronstrand, Quay Parade/The Mall, Lombard Street/Bolton Street, Canada Street/William Street, Dunmore Road/Maypark Lane roundabout, Outer Ring Road/Dunmore Road roundabout, Brown's Road/Cork Road, Kilbarry Road/Cork Road, Cork Road/Tramore Road, Manor Street/Bath Street, Manor Street/John Street, Parnell Street/John Street, Colbeck Street/The Mall, Catherine Street/Waterside, John Street/New Street, Spring Garden Alley, Lady Lane/Michael Street, Broad Street/Patrick Street, Conduit Lane/Blackfriars Street, Broad Street/Blackfriars Street, Gladstone Street/Great Georges Street, Jenkin's Lane, John's Lane/Newgate Street, Mayor's Walk/Newgate Street, Ballybricken Green, The Glen, O'Connell Street/Thomas Street, Morgan Street/Summer Hill, Morrisons Road/Lower Yellow Road.

Some of these installations will be within the environs of a protected structure and within an architectural conservation area although they will not materially affect the character of these.

The site plan showing the location of the CCTV system together with the general arrangement drawings and a description of the proposed works are available for inspection at Waterford Garda Station, Patrick Street, Waterford; Garda Headquarters, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8 between the times of 9.30am to 4.30pm and Waterford City Council Planning Department, Wallace House, Maritana Gate, Canada Street, Waterford between the times of 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday for a period of 6 weeks from the date of publication of this notice.

Submissions and/or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area, may be made in writing to The Commissioner, An Garda Síochána, Garda Headquarters, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8 during the 6 week period commencing 20th December, 2007 and ending 12th February 2008.

copied from www.upthedeise.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Been meaning to post about this, but with it being christmas iv been pretty busy!

Anyway, ya id like to see the plans for that. I dont think its anything to do with traffic when at junctions but more to do with the amount of trouble caused and its handy to keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

the boy racers are a big problem at 4 and 5 in the morning racing from texaco down to the bridge always catch them coming home from work

on the site notice it says that the plans can be seen in the office in canada street or sumthing:D

u'll probably get some left sider talkin about the goverment watching us lol(doubt it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I spotted the notice at one of the traffic lights on the mall last week

EDIT: Wonder will they start doing J-walkers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

trishw78 wrote: »
    EDIT: Wonder will they start doing J-walkers.

Something that needs to be brought in, but I doubt they can introduce such bye-laws.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    Something that needs to be brought in, but I doubt they can introduce such bye-laws.

They already have laws to fine jaywalkers and have done for a good number of years, they just don't enforce them :)

I believe the fine is 50e at present...since the euro change over, I've look into it and while the law exists the Gov has never realized numbers for amounts of people fined...probably because its not been enforced and because there isn't any :D

I can't find a recent law reform report but here's a bit from 1996 report,
    under s.102 of the Road Traffic Act, 1961, the sanction for jay-walking is a fine not exceeding £20 for a first offence, and for a second or subsequent offence a fine not exceeding £50, except that, where the offence is a third or subsequent offence in any period of 12 consecutive months, the sanction is a fine not exceeding £50 or, at the discretion of the court, a term of imprisonment not exceeding three months or both such fine and imprisonment;

There's a misconception in Ireland that such a law doesn't exist on the books and that jay-walking is an "American thing" when it comes to people getting fined, but such laws exists for most European country's.

On a side note its also worth noting that Gardai can fine people 25e for littering on the street due to a law that came into affect a few years back, anyone ever heard of it happening? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I remember the Jay-walking thing being brought in when I was in college in Dublin in the late 90's.

Cabaal wrote: »
    They already have laws to fine jaywalkers and have done for a good number of years, they just don't enforce them :)

I believe the fine is 50e at present...since the euro change over, I've look into it and while the law exists the Gov has never realized numbers for amounts of people fined...probably because its not been enforced and because there isn't any :D

I can't find a recent law reform report but here's a bit from 1996 report,

There's a misconception in Ireland that such a law doesn't exist on the books and that jay-walking is an "American thing" when it comes to people getting fined, but such laws exists for most European country's.

On a side note its also worth noting that Gardai can fine people 25e for littering on the street due to a law that came into affect a few years back, anyone ever heard of it happening? ;)

I recall it being brought in but iv been told it was scrapped soon after. Guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

I live in Summerhill area, its to catch the illegal dumping that is going on in Summer hill Terrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

That would be one idea for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

navalus wrote: »
    I live in Summerhill area, its to catch the illegal dumping that is going on in Summer hill Terrace.

Possibly. But the whole scheme is a bit bigger than that.

Advertisement