Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Close call on the way home this evening...

Options
  • 23-12-2007 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Driving home from Galway this evening with my boyfriend on the Tuam road, a lorry coming the opposite way swerved (sp) about 6 or 8 feet over the white line straight towards the car in front of us :eek:. The car breaked hard and moved in to the left, we did the same, and the lorry moved back over to his side of the road. It seemed like the driver could have dozed off or something. Its not just drink driving thats a problem and the government don't seem to do enough to highlight this. I know in Mayo, sometimes they give free tea and coffee in petrol stations on bank holiday weekends. Does any other county do this?

Its feckin' Christmas! Please, everybody, drive carefully and make sure we all get home safe for the holidays. Merry Christmas everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

They did have an ad on the radio a while ago, went something like 'My brother was stone cold sober when he was killed at the wheel. He fell asleep.' Apart from that, and a brief reference in the rules of the road, I've never heard of anything though. It's been discussed already in here how the anti-speeding campaign is flawed, and needs to be both modified and broadened to include other issues.

I suppose it's difficult to get a quantitative measure of how tired someone is, unlike blood alcohol level, but I agree that we need more publicity. Not sure how much good it'd do though, I can imagine even people who take drink very seriously would take the attitude that they're not children, and are well able to do something as simple as stay awake. I don't drink at all and I've been guilty of this myself, though I've never actually fallen asleep at the wheel.

Service stations on motorways where you buy a cheap coffee or whatever would be a good initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Now that you mention it, I remember that ad on the radio. I remember thinking at the time too, what a terrible thing to happen. But it hasnt worked, in my opinion. I only remembered it when you mentioned it...now that's hardly effective.

I personally would stop take a quick walk outside and wake myself up when Im tired and driving. I dont drink tea or coffee so thats not an option, but tonight makes me wonder. I was seriously freaked out. Another split second would have had a whole different consequence for the car in front and another 2 seconds for us ourselves. Ive heard so many times, "don't drink and drive", and i don't, but what about the other factors killing people on our roads? I really don't think enough is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jeapy wrote: »
    Ive heard so many times, "don't drink and drive", and i don't, but what about the other factors killing people on our roads? I really don't think enough is being done.
    Exactly.

There's also an over emphasis on speed.

The biggest killer is carelessness, especially in the male 18-25 age group. More should be done to target them.

I also think that the current TV campaign of graphic, almost snuff-like, ads only serves to desensitise us. Ads I couldn't watch initially, I actually can watch and even enjoy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good points. We can measure speed and alcohol levels and blame these for all that is wrong out there, but they are only two of many problems on our roads imho...

Advertisement