Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And will be gone for some time to come.

Note the amount of 'Charity' operators operating out of RTE

Finucane

Tracey Piggott

Collins

Cahill.

These people are pissing down our necks, and there is little we can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

But do we know where she actually is, Flut? They dont mention her being "on holidays" or anything..

Normally she disappears from 01 June to end August.

Chicago area is destination of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Joe O Shea's contributions over the space of a few years could be scrawled on the back of a fag box. Has there ever been a man more adept at delivering platitudes?
    He seems a well meaning sort but he should stick to his Star column.

Turned on the radio at 9.45 to hear what I think was Gavin Duffy (sounded like him anyway) standing in for Kathryn who was standing in for Turgidy. It was truly horrific. Now, I dont blame Gavin Duffy for this, he has zero experience at presenting and is usually just a contributor on these shows.

But why do RTE think it's okay to just throw in anybody to fill the position? These same RTE heads tell us that Tubridy, Kenny, Finucane are worth a fortune to present theirs radio shows, and that if supposedly we didnt have them there either i) RTE would lose advertising revenue or ii) somebody would offer the presenter better remuneration to coax them away from RTE. Yet, RTE consider that a guy with zero hours experience in radio presenting can adequately fill the position of our supposedly hugely talented stars.

I mean will someone in RTE get the story straight, for radio presenting do you need to be hugely talented/experienced/overpaid or can anybody walk in off the street and do it (as seems to be their opinion this morning)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Gavin Duffy was an RTE presenter of 'Marketplace' - a business show on TV in the 1980's and went on to be the first CEO (first, I think) of local radio station LMFM. He is a media trainer.
    Didn't like it much myself this morning but, in fairness, he is not inexperienced in radio.
    It'll be a nice warmup and profile boost for him ahead of taking over the less profiled Lunchtime slot on Newstalk.
    Talk about RTE helping out it's competition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't believe that Pat Kenny is still clocking off at 11.30. The kids are back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Gavin may be a media trainer & he's good as a panelist but he's a God awful presenter ... you know what they say 'Those who can do ... those who can't teach'

mike65 wrote: »
    I can't believe that Pat Kenny is still clocking off at 11.30. The kids are back!

Excellent point Micheál

That means 1.30 of Collins's shíte and the off button being hit kinda rapido.

They sneaked that one up on the listeners a Mhicheal.

:confused: What a crock!!

That means 1.30 of Collins's shíte and the off button being hit kinda rapido.

Leaves a hole in my schedule as well flut... Usually switch over to Newstalk at 12 for more talk radio, when Kenny is over. Now the dive for the radio is a half hour earlier, and what do I get .... boring Tom Dunne Show...

• Advertisement

That's where my Roberts internet Radio comes in .

Got it as a present, I will be forever in debt to the fooker who gave it to me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Callan57 wrote: »
    Gavin may be a media trainer & he's good as a panelist but he's a God awful presenter ... you know what they say 'Those who can do ... those who can't teach'

"And those who can't teach, teach PE!"

Know its off-topic, but couldn't resist it.

Saturday View cannot be seen yet! Still Balfes schtik

Normal working day for everybody else... Tubridy off, Kenny off, Collins off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Turgidy was on Today FM this morning with Ian Dempsey... promoting his book

paid day off?

Kenny cried off with a bug at some point last week, I'm sure he's grand now.

Barname wrote: »
    Turgidy was on Today FM this morning with Ian Dempsey... promoting his book

Are you serious.. ? That really is ridiculous.. For a million quid a year, you would at least expect his full attention for the year.. It's about time RTE stopped pampering their golden boy and give him a bite of a reality sandwich..

Did he have the balls to address with Dempsey what he said about him a few months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Small blessing fgor those that still listen to the mid morning slot of 2FM to have avoided another couple of hours of allegiance peldging to the Kennedy clan.
    I actually listened to some of Dave Fanning's show this monring...he's head and shoulders above Tubridy in terms of having some connection with his callers and isn't painful to listen to...I know not everyone can stand our Dave but I never minded him and I actually liked him when he filled in for G Ryan way back when.

Wertz wrote: »
    I actually listened to some of Dave Fanning's show this monring...he's head and shoulders above Tubridy in terms of having some connection with his callers and isn't painful to listen to..

Yeah I said the same thing on the other thread Wertz, he was far better than Tubridy... But it's unlikely that anybody in Ryan Tubridy Enterprises will notice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Depends on your view point...I harbour a similar dislike for Tub's intonations at any hour of the day.
    Fanning may not be everyone's cup of tea and he certainly can talk a bit quickly at times, but he has a proven track record at 2FM (his time on R1 is best forgotten IMO) for two decades or more and like I said earlier, was a competent temp for when G Ryan wasn't on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How come "talk to Joe" disappears every so often and Damien O'Reilly steps in, sometimes for a day, sometimes for a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

vicwatson wrote: »
    How come "talk to Joe" disappears every so often and Damien O'Reilly steps in, sometimes for a day, sometimes for a week?

Newsflash: people get holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

tbh wrote: »

Think he missed most of his days making TV programs

Tubridy, Kenny, Finucane (not that she's actually here that often anyway) and Duffy all gone at the same time.. I thought RTE were putting something in place to stop them all from leaving at the same time?

They should clear out their fkn desks while their away.. All except Pat Kenny have understudies who are better than them.. i.e. when they put Philip Boucher Hayes in for Duffy, obviously not Damian..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

There was some tough talk from the then head of Radio 1 a few years back about staggering their summer holidays, but it looks like nobody was listening.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rtes-top-radio-stars-are-told-to-stagger-their-summer-holidays-892854.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Rubik. wrote: »
    There was some tough talk from the then head of Radio 1 a few years back about staggering their summer holidays, but it looks like nobody was listening.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rtes-top-radio-stars-are-told-to-stagger-their-summer-holidays-892854.html

It fell on deaf ears judging by this article from today's Independent...read it and weep...Jesus wept!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/marian-tops-rte-holidays-with-nine-week-summer-break-2813257.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Big Tone wrote: »
    It fell on deaf ears judging by this article from today's Independent...read it and weep...Jesus wept!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/marian-tops-rte-holidays-with-nine-week-summer-break-2813257.html

I agree that Marian Finucane taking nine weeks is ridiculous. But, credit where it's due, the rest are taking very normal holidays. The only one close to Marian is Sean O Rourke, who is taking six weeks, but, he is working six days a week to entitle himself to that time off.

Pat Kenny, Ryan Tubridy and Joe Duffy are taking two weeks.
    Miriam O’Callaghan is working right through the summer on radio and TV while morning Radio 1 presenter John Murray is taking one week off.

And others like Pat Kenny, Ryan Tubridy and and Joe Duffy are taking two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The money they are being paid is nothing short of obscene even if there was never a recession they are not, and never were, worth those kinds of salaries & neither is anyone else. No wonder Seanie was happy to do his interview with Marian & give his views on social welfare etc ... no doubt he felt he was talking to another one of the 'because I'm worth it' brigade.

They should be told to take a hike & then we'd see how many organisations would be queued up at their doors with offers. These prima donna types & their agents, along with so many other sacred cows, have perpetuated a myth that they are indispensable ... well Gerry Ryan is gone (RIP) and the sky didn't fall in! ... and I am not being disrespectful even though I was never a fan of his.

I would be willing to bet there are loads of students in DCU & probably plenty of unemployed graduates who could do just as good a job for 2 hours, 2 mornings a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Knob nation did a good pisstake today of the main presenters on holidays. Marian Finucane got what she deserved on it!

• Advertisement

I agree that Marian Finucane taking nine weeks is ridiculous. But, credit where it's due, the rest are taking very normal holidays. The only one close to Marian is Sean O Rourke, who is taking six weeks, but, he is working six days a week to entitle himself to that time off.

Pat Kenny, Ryan Tubridy and Joe Duffy are taking two weeks.

But is that the only holidays they are taking, will they disappear again later on in the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Rubik. wrote: »
    But is that the only holidays they are taking, will they disappear again later on in the summer?

I couldn't tell you. . They're entitled to more than two weeks holiday a year so I'd imagine they will take more off.

I couldn't tell you. . They're entitled to more than two weeks holiday a year so I'd imagine they will take more off.

I've just read in The Mail that Tubridy is taking 5 weeks off over the next 2 months, so the Indo article seems to be a bit misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_nobnation.xml
    Its worth a listen to the The RTÉ Stand-ins

miketv wrote: »

Cant believe they aired that..
    . But, credit where it's due, the rest are taking very normal holidays.

I would agree that some are reasonable.. But Finucane and Tubridy take the piss altogether.. seems like they just take off whenever they want.. And Duffy is the same, though I envisage him off recording rubbish for airing on Christmas week..

For RTE to say that they will tackle the issue by 2013 is pathetic.. I would bring in all the top presenters and tell them that unless they are prepared to renegotiate their contracts right now (to bring their pay and conditions down to something a bit more realistic), there will be NO possibility of the contracts being renewed in any form when they are up....

Cant believe they aired that..

I would agree that some are reasonable.. But Finucane and Tubridy take the piss altogether.. seems like they just take off whenever they want.. And Duffy is the same, though I envisage him off recording rubbish for airing on Christmas week..

For RTE to say that they will tackle the issue by 2013 is pathetic.. I would bring in all the top presenters and tell them that unless they are prepared to renegotiate their contracts right now (to bring their pay and conditions down to something a bit more realistic), there will be NO possibility of the contracts being renewed in any form when they are up....

Not a chance Jonners, cosy little club out there, they are all in it together.

Derryleigh wrote: »
    it would be to be actually praised and feted in a creepy murky chat room!!!

What, you mean the same creepy murky chat room that you took time to sign up to and post on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

derryleigh warned of future conduct. Other users reminded of report post function

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

bbability wrote: »
    derryleigh warned of future conduct. Other users reminded of report post function

That is ridiculous. All I did was quote what a Sunday newspaper said about chat rooms some weeks ago which suggested that people on chatrooms who use them primarily to be negative and slag off others namely GAA players in this instance were gob****es.

Sunday indo about three weeks ago. Check it out.

PS Does that make me a gob****e. Possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Well by ignoring my warning and taking the thread off topic a 3 day ban from radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Originally Posted by vicwatson viewpost.gif

Very good.

But most don't get that many right alongside such high pay?

From the Indo today -
    The 30pc cuts from the time of the 2008 peak, would also mean drops to €286,223 for Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

vicwatson wrote: »

But most don't get that many right alongside such high pay?

-

I think you'll find most people on high pay are also getting quite a few holidays.

Pink Floyd at 11.30 am on RTE Radio One! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

Surely some mistake! RTE never mentioned his death in their news bullitins. Nor Rick Wright's.

I like that Cathal Murray guy.. He's a breath of fresh air.. Not just going through the motions like Ronan Collins..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Cathal had a fine Alan Partridge moment the other day after playing Barry White:

''One of the all-time great singer of love songs...died of renal failure.''

Cocteau Twins! :eek: Yesterday Cathal played the whole of Alices Restaurant.

/waits for complete version of Autobahn

Cocteau Twins! :eek: Yesterday Cathal played the whole of Alices Restaurant.

/waits for complete version of Autobahn

Fantastic!!

In our time of greatest crisis,the national broadcaster plays music from 1130 to 1300.

Meantime anyone with an interest in what is going on in the world tunes into NT106

Talk about shooting oneself in the foot.

True but if they are going to play music they can at least make sure Ronan Collins ain't spinning the disks.

• Advertisement

True but if they are going to play music they can at least make sure Ronan Collins ain't spinning the disks.

Losing the plot Mike.

Collins will be back with his usual banal boring delivery.

90 mins at a peak listening period... :eek:

:rolleyes:

Advertisement