Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking abandoned bikes

Options
  • 23-12-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

You know those abandoned frames you see attached to lampposts, bike parks, trees etc ? The ones where just about everything has been stripped off the bike, or the tyres have been kicked in.

What's the deal with taking those ? I saw a nice frame the other day, lying on the ground, completely pillaged. Could I just go along and snip the lock and take the frame? It's obvious the owner doesn't want it anymore. It's probably illegal to take it though. Who does take it?

Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

I had everything stolen apart from my frame. It was old, and I wouldn't have mind if someone took it as it was old and heavy.

I would pressume that if someone purposely left it behind, they would have taken their lock? So if the lock is on it I think they still want it, and is theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I guess if it were me and someone had the funds and knowhow to get use from someone ruining my bike, then I don't see the problem.

This could be a controversial topic though.....wonder how this thread'll pan out!?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I couldn;'t see any issues with it as long as its been there awhile, of course the Gardai may not like it if they see you cutting the lock :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Dont cut the lock ... pick it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Legally & technically it is still stealing as the property isn't yours. Legality aside I'm all up for it. If you see a bike that isn't going to be taken by the owner after its been stripped then eventually the council remove them. If you do decide to take an abandoned bike ( I call it "rescuing" a bike) then you are doing a good thing, morally & environmentally. I've done it once or twice from bikes that have been abandoned in places (unerground car parks where friends live, where I work etc....). I always take note of where they are, have they been moved and keep an eye on them for a reasonable time (about 3 months) before I'd consider rescuing it. A good sign is a nice thick layer of dust/dirt caked on them from sitting there for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

A friend of mine who's into bikes does that a lot.
    But he only picks up bikes that have been completely abandoned or left in garbage or trash.
    He uses the frame and builds a bike up with new components onto it and then rides it around. Getting some use out of a worthless abandoned bike, i think its pretty cool.

He doesn't steal any bikes. If its got a lock, he'll leave it alone. Just the trashed looking ones just left there in a corner with no lock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You could ask Dublin City Council's opinion - IIRC they said that they'd tidy up all these abandoned bikes. I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with someone else taking the bike off their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dublin City Council did a big clean up about 5 years ago. Like anyone, they couldn't just take the bikes, so they put ads in the papers and went to extra effort to only take derilict bikes that had been there for a period and even then, I imagine they kept them for an extended period before disposing of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Id say go for it. Just take it. In my experience these bikes are dismantled progressively over long periods of time. One week its the saddle the next it the wheels, etc until the entire thing has been stripped just leaving the lock and the frame.

You've got to question people who just leave their bikes bound to whatever attachment. Yes maybe your wheel is stolen you;d consider leaving your bike locked overnight, could be that theres no other options. But the next day you make arrangments and retrieve it. If my wheel, saddle etc was missing id curse whoever took it and wheel it home, exceptionally pissed of. These bikes have been sitting there for weeks.Obviously their owner no longer wants or has any use of it. I'd at the very least keep the lock.

With this in mind. Id say just take it. Whilst cutting the lock be sure to be constantly looking over your shoulders, hoodie over head and maybe a scarf covering your lower face. Id also like to suggest having a quick get away escape. Car would be the first choice, bike second. Always have a Plan B incase the hitch goes wrong. Be fully aware of your surroundings and any obstacles that may hinder your successful escape with the goods.

Good luck in your quest.

God speed

Advertisement