Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics at UCD

Options
  • 23-12-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

well I’m thinking of studying economics in the arts next year . I'm doing it now for the LC ... Really easy . So what are the maths like ??? .Teaching ... ?? . And life like at UCD also what’s the most hardest thing to study in economics in first year .... thnxs :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Brooke01 wrote: »
    well I’m thinking of studying economics in the arts next year . I'm doing it now for the LC ... Really easy . So what are the maths like ??? .Teaching ... ?? . And life like at UCD also what’s the most hardest thing to study in economics in first year .... thnxs :)

Heya, just be a bit careful about the leaving. Make sure you give economics a bit of respect or you won't get the grade you were looking for! You don't get a mass of choice in the first year, but if you're set on economics, it's probably a good idea to take on some stats as well in first year. Loads of modules for you to look at from second year on, all depends on your interests. There's a course handbook on the UCD economics website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

I do Commerce so I had to do Micro and Macro economics last year. Now I didn't do economics for the LC but I have friends who did and they say it is very different. I was never a fan of it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm studying economics as a joint major with computer science. I did economics for the leaving and I have to say that I did find similarities, especially with fundamental stuff. The first year stuff isn't too difficult if you actually work for it.
    The maths aspects generally aren't that bad, although intermediate quantitative economics last year (second year) was a disaster because the lecturer was terrible, and advanced quants is difficult if you don't keep up with the work.
    Overall maths isn't too bad, lecturers vary and some are very good. The course does require effort though, or else it can become difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I didnt do Economics for the LC, doing it in Arts now(1st year). Find it a bit difficult, but more work shall solve that problem. Only did Macro and Eco. & Soc. so far. Do NOT do Eco. & Soc, you'd be so very bored. Only about 30 people showed up to lectures each time, out of about 400+. Doing Quants and Micro next semester, so hopefully wont be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Are you thinking of pure economics or through denominated arts? You have to do the first year as arts, so you have to pick two subjects. If you're going into denominated arts, you can apply to get into pure economics for the rest of the degree.

Do you like maths? There is quite a bit of maths in it, a lot more than the LC, nothing impossible though. The main thing seems to be whether or not you like maths, if you do you'll pick it up quickly.

I'm in 3rd now, started doing Maths and Economics in arts, applied to the mode one/pure economics as far as i can there's only about 20/30 in pure economics. Most people i know in the pure class really like it. I know some people a couple of economics classes who don't like it as much.

Maybe it was just our year, but don't expect too many economics class parties, i think there was one class party in our 3 years. (nobody went)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

You might want to bear in mind that the UCD economics department hate students and are incredibly unhelpful the teaching is quite good though.

Advertisement