Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics

• 23-12-2007 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

anyone studying it in there first year in the arts ??? .And has done it for the LC ??? . Well please tell me what is it like anyone who has done it ??? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Well i'm doing first year business management, but I do the same economics modules as arts student (EC101 and EC106), so I can give you what little help I can.Anyways I did honours economics for the leaving last year and got an A2 (will add that it was by far my favourite subject), as a result I had very little to do this semester because the coursework in EC101 (Introduction to Microeconomics) is only about 60% of the LC microeconomics course with 3 new things (indifference curves, externalities and game theory), so if you've done the LC you'll find it pretty handy to begin with (I haven't done macroeconomics yet, as thats not till the 2nd semester).

Thats the good news.The bad news is that (like me and anyone else unfortunate enough to be doing EC101 this semester) you could end up with ''Dr'' (ha!) Olive Sweetman as your EC101 lecturer, a pathetic excuse of a woman whose incompetence is only matched by what seems to be her downright inability to use moodle/a projection screen/a powerpoint slide in any useful way.As I said I was quite good at economics for the LC, and yet as a result of her ''teaching'' I now know less than I did when I went in...and this is in stuff we've already covered!!Now of course you can just use the book and overcome the added obstacle to economics that is Olive Sweetman, but i'm just letting you know in advance so that you're forewarned (I'm not actually sure if Sweetman covers EC101 every year....you may get lucky and not have her, because believe me almost ANYONE would be better than she is).

Well thats EC101 covered, as for EC106 (Data Analysis) its grand enough.Only one lecture a week, some very easy continuous assessment and of course a test in January (which lasts 45 minutes and yet is worth 85% of the mark...which I find a bit odd).Anyways its a strange subject because despite having been to all lectures bar one, and having taken notes from all of them.....I still feel as though I have no knowledge whatsoever of the subject.I mean the notes are all there....but there doesn't seem to be any substance in them at all!Maybe when I finally get round to buying the book, i'll see things differently....but that won't be for a while yet!

Anyways thats my opinion on first semester economics at NUIM, in the second semester we do EC103 (Macroeconomics) and EC105 (Mathematical Methods)....so hopefully they'll go grand!!Overall its a very interesting course that I enjoy doing...its just that Sweetman **** kinda put a dent in it.Damn her to hell.And the worst thing is i'm interested in taking a module on game theory (which I find really interesting) in 2nd year....but I know shes the lecturer that teaches it.....so i'll probably end up avoiding it despite the fact that i'm really interested in it.Damn you Sweetman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

thx for the help :D was really helpful

Advertisement