Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident on Knockmaroon Hill

Options
  • 24-12-2007 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anything similar had happened to anybody recently- I was driving up the steep hill out of Chapelizod heading towards home in Castleknock and had to brake halfway up on the corner because an African lady had stalled. The car kept rolling backwards and I was afraid it would roll into mine- the road was deserted otherwise. I couldnt pass her out as couldnt see around the corner. She was in hysterics and couldnt seem to manage the gear stick. I (stupidly) got out of my car for a second and stood at her window telling her how to put the car in gear and move it and out of the corner of my eye saw an African man jumping out of the ditch and running full speed towards my car. Thankfully I got back into my car in time and locked the doors- he proceeded to jump into the ladys car and they drove off without a problem!! I was obviously quite shaken up as had my handbag, keys, etc in the car- I know I stupidly got out but was trying to help this lady as I couldnt move unless she did! Ive reported it to the Guards but I was wondering if anybody had experienced anything similar, or also to give a warning in future to anyone who might find themselves in the same situation!!
    Cj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jaysus, pretty dodgy alright, did you get the reg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

took the reg & passed it onto the Gardai- I was just so stunned by it!! They were two very well dressed people and the car was a BMW- whether paid for by proceeds of crime I dont know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Not heard that one before, but it seems like such a simple plan. Dam scum.

Ya it was quite scary- Ive heard it happening once before in Ballyfermot but I never would have guessed that itd happen in that particular spot. the police are handling it though so I just wanted to warn everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

God I drive down there quite a bit, thanks for the heads up.

Though I doubt I would have gotten out of my own car anyway though!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Never heard of this before ... I often come back that way. Will be on my guard from now on. Thanks for the heads up.

Cant see the relivance of their ethic origin to the story/warning ... but sure that the world we live in now. Had they both been Irish would you have put that into the account? Just wondering ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Cant see the relivance of their ethic origin to the story/warning ... but sure that the world we live in now. Had they both been Irish would you have put that into the account? Just wondering ......

Tell me you are joking, please. Im sure if it was a red haired Irish guy in a Celtic jersey and a blonde girl with big earrings she would have described them as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

oh my god :O god you poor thing! Fair play to you getting in before him, good lord I'm gobsmacked by that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Cant see the relivance of their ethic origin to the story/warning ...
    Because it describes them physically. Don't get all PC about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I just asked .. thats all ... just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

thanks for the tip off¬ I've heard about this scam going on!

and thanks for the detailed description! VERY CLEAR

Dont see their ethnic origin as being important, only that she pretended not to speak English so I was helping her out but English didnt seem to be a problem when they were both screaming at eachother as they drove off. and I do agree if it was a pair of skinhead winos I would also have provided that information! c-j

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Never heard of this before ... I often come back that way. Will be on my guard from now on. Thanks for the heads up.

I certainly can, much easier for others to spot this rather than if he had just said a woman, I know if I see an African woman rolling backwards down a hill I wont be getting out to help her

No racism intended, a lot of scams that I have experienced in the recent past have involved foreign nationals and not Irish people

I find it to be a reflection on Irish society as a whole. I find it increasingly in my line of work (garda siochana) Its sad that a person cant be helpful and christian for fear of being robbed or scammed its unfortunate to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Their genders aren't really relevant either, but no point in going back over and editing out "lady" and "man" in place of "person".

Didnt realise my post would be such an area of pc comment, can we just perhaps close it before I have the Equality Authority on my case as well as Gender Equality?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

This is quite common in South Africa actually, surprised it's taken so long to manifest itself here.

I've seen a couple of similar incidents (not in Ireland): Apparent traffic accident with injured person, you get out to assist and bang, your cars' gone.

It's a tough one... do you stop to assist, or drive on by...

Glad you got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

One of these devices, which are quite legal in South Africa, would help to deter those nasty type of people OP met on Knockmaroon Hill or the little toe-rags that used to snatch handbags from cars. :D

It would be enough to put you off cycling however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQbHnLSasfQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 chucky1989

Jesus, soz t hear that about ya, I drive home that way every nyh from work....ih does be real lonely, glad t hear garda wer called, buh ya know dem, do nuhin.. Happened to a couple I know in d phoeno near ballier,, buh wha happended there was they wer drivin along after havin a " couples " time... ha!, but anyway what happend with them was someone was lying in the middle of the road ( didn't get out, more cop on), people parked in the grass in a car wi lights off.. Headcases out there I swear, anyway luckly e drives a RAV4 so cud go accross field... Just hav t be careful nowadays with all these foreign nationals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I just asked .. thats all ... just wondering.

really? you couldnt see why she mentioned they were african? Dont pretend to be so innocent!

Is to help others who may find themselves in this situation?

• Advertisement

dodgyme wrote: »
    really? you couldnt see why she mentioned they were african? Dont pretend to be so innocent!

Is to help others who may find themselves in this situation?

EXACTLY.. dont think you'd see Irish ppl doin this to be honest, It annoys me when ppl go on lyk they're soo Goood and modern and everyone are good, but im sorry thats not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

chucky1989 wrote: »
    Jesus, soz t hear that about ya, I drive home that way every nyh from work....ih does be real lonely, glad t hear garda wer called, buh ya know dem, do nuhin.. Happened to a couple I know in d phoeno near ballier,, buh wha happended there was they wer drivin along after havin a " couples " time... ha!, but anyway what happend with them was someone was lying in the middle of the road ( didn't get out, more cop on), people parked in the grass in a car wi lights off.. Headcases out there I swear, anyway luckly e drives a RAV4 so cud go accross field... Just hav t be careful nowadays with all these foreign nationals...

OP, cheers for the heads up .

Chucky1989 - oh sweet Jesus who taught you how to use a keyboard!!?? :rolleyes:

...Please tell me you dont work for eBay/PayPal as your signature would imply

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Chucky, it's always good to have new posters here and you're very welcome, but proper English in future please. Unlike you, txt spk, or whatever that was, are not welcome in this forum.

As regards the whole side issue of whether the couple were white, black, purple, whatever, it is relevent to the story. When giving a statement to the Gardaí about a crime, or in this case attempted crime, it's normal to give as full a description of the perpetrators, and this would include their race. The OP described what had happened, and it may serve to warn others who spot something similar, so as full a description of the couple is appropriate. There's no need for people to get overly PC about the whole thing.

As for my 'cop-on' the incident happened on a blind corner so the only option open to me was to help her, I couldnt pass her out and couldnt turn around due to the very narrow road. The above statement is just wrong on so many levels, perhaps because youre so young and inexperienced but I dont think its worthy of any comment! What started out as me giving a word of warning to fellow road users has turned into an anti-racial slur campaign which is a real shame and I do not endorse such in any way.
    CJ

C_Breeze wrote: »
    OP, cheers for the heads up .

Chucky1989 - oh sweet Jesus who taught you how to use a keyboard!!?? :rolleyes:

...Please tell me you dont work for eBay/PayPal as your signature would imply

UCD thought me acctually... yeah I might work for one of those :D:D:D:D:D haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

UCD thought me acctually... yeah I might work for one of those :D:D:D:D:D haha

That doesn't bode well for UCD then, does it?

Sorry to hear that happen to you OP, I never drive that way, can't believe someone would do something like that. But, I suppose, this is the age we live in now and it happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

How on earth did the mods let that post go up? you sound like Fortlawns finest and the fact that you type exactly how you speak says alot.finished school in 3rd year did we? Jaysus C'mon dont be letting every tom ,dick and harry that can barely type never mind speak post up here PLEEEAAASE

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

People should relax, he told a story, it took a while longer to read, but I'm sure everyone understood it, no harm done.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kaldorn wrote: »
    How on earth did the mods let that post go up? you sound like Fortlawns finest and the fact that you type exactly how you speak says alot.finished school in 3rd year did we? Jaysus C'mon dont be letting every tom ,dick and harry that can barely type never mind speak post up here PLEEEAAASE

Kaldorn, there's no need for the personal remarks thank you. I've already asked chucky to use proper English in the future, your input into the matter is not required.

• Advertisement

haha just to clarify Im a woman probably explains the long initial story with lots of detail! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement