Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Price matching

Options
  • 24-12-2007 6:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if PC World actually honor their price matching policy of 110% of the difference back within 7 days of purchase ?
    Reason for my asking is that I bought a mouse in there store which cost €109 and a few hours later a mate of mine showed me that you can get the same mouse for €56.30 + €5 for delivery on dabs.ie, thats a huge difference in price :eek:

Going to ring the store today when they open and see what the deal is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Pretty sure they wont compete with online stores even though their slogan is "Internet priced to take home today"... or is that another company?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

They do, but it has to be in another STORE, not on the internet. It also has to be a LOCAL store. They've got every angle covered don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just found this on there web site, going by this I should get money back :
    price-match-banner2.gif
    We check our prices against major retailers and websites* every day so you can buy with confidence.

If you find a lower price for the same product and offer, we'll reduce our price by 110% of the difference – even up to 7 days after purchase.

This applies to prices offered by retailers within 30 miles of your local PC World store and the websites* listed below. The competitor must have the item in stock and website* prices must include delivery. Single unit purchases only.

* Websites: items sold by Amazon.co.uk, Argos, Asda, B&Q, Comet, Dabs, Dell, Evesham Technology, Game, Gamestation, Halfords, HMV, Jessops, John Lewis, Maplin, Misco, Play, Staples, Tesco, Toys r Us, Virgin, Woolworths

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Wow. Yes, you should BUT watch for the "price must include delivery" bit. Also, it would be worth checking whether this applies to Ireland or not.

EDIT: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/price-match-promise

Looks less and less like this applies to ROI...

psni wrote: »
    Wow. Yes, you should BUT watch for the "price must include delivery" bit. Also, it would be worth checking whether this applies to Ireland or not.
    It's €56.30 + €5 for delivery on dabs.ie, a saving of €47.70 which is alot of money. I can't get the Irish site to open but if that's their policy in the UK then it should apply here also as it's the same company.

• Advertisement

AFAIK they don't have an online Irish presence.

Check my edited post too. The VAT rate is higher here which might affect why prices in ROI are higher. No harm asking though.
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    It's €56.30 + €5 for delivery on dabs.ie, a saving of €47.70 which is alot of money. I can't get the Irish site to open but if that's their policy in the UK then it should apply here also as it's the same company.

I'll ask later today and let you know what happens, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jeez, that'd be pretty handy if they did price match with dabs.ie! If you need something and can't wait for delivery, just go to pcworld and tell them you've seen it cheaper on dabs. Let us know how you get on, good luck;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I would be shocked if they did this. A lot of their accessories/cables are 2 or time more expensive than online stores.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

psni wrote: »
    AFAIK they don't have an online Irish presence.

haha, they used to at http://www.pcworld.ie/

Now when yopu visit it you get
    pcworld.ie account suspended due to non-payment by client.

Incase nobody believes me, here's a archived copy from archive.org :)
    http://web.archive.org/web/20060127004533/http://www.pcworld.ie/

Hmm a big multinational like Dixons Group not paying there hosting hosts, very very poor

Looking at the archived pcworld.ie website I can find nothing about a price promise, seems its UK only if it does exist

• Advertisement

Just been on the phone to the store and was speaking to the manager (was expecting to be fobbeb off but the chap was sound), he was telling me that they do price match but not online prices. When I told him the price of it on dabs.ie he was gobsmacked and when I went onto tell him that it's €59 ex. delivery on pixmania.com which is run by DSG, the same company that runs PC World and that on the UK site the policy states they match online prices he took my name and number and is going to chase it up.
    Just have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

IIRC their Dundalk branch had a billboard outside for a fair bit of the autumn claiming that they price matched but only locally (30 miles?) to this 110% figure.
    The same store can't seem to put the prices on half of their stock anyway.

On the subject of their ex-website (lol)...I went to use it a few times last year and the prices on it were HIGHER than in their bloody shop! With a record like that I'm sure little or no-one used it and they just ran it into the ground by not paying the bill.

Wertz wrote: »
    IIRC their Dundalk branch had a billboard outside for a fair bit of the autumn claiming that they price matched but only locally (30 miles?) to this 110% figure.
    The same store can't seem to put the prices on half of their stock anyway.
    It was the Dundalk store I was in and as usual half the stuff had no price :rolleyes:. As for the 30 miles locally that has now shrunk to 7 according to the manager, and as for them calling me back I'll take that with a pinch of salt.
    Only for the fact that the mouse was a last minute Xmas present I would of got it online, their prices are mad especially on the graphics cards, won't be going back there to buy stuff.

Just an update for you all, received the below email today:
    Dear *****

Thank you for your email regarding your complaint.

We would, according to our website, offer a price match in this instance where the store was a UK store, clearly from the UK PC World site.

We would have offered this where it was claimed within 7 days from the point of sale.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

Kind regards
    Currys Support

What I make of that is that the price match policy does not apply to Irish stores, yet when I rang the store today I was told that they do price match :confused:

Still didn't get sorted though, not that I expected too :rolleyes:

Advertisement