Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is acceptable wear and tear?

Options
  • 24-12-2007 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

I've been living in my rented appartment for near three years now - i hope to be moving out in the next couple of months, just wondering what is acceptable wear and tear?

I really want to get me deposit back but after three years of being there the floor has a couple of scratches and the walls a few mark.

Should i repaint the walls or get the floors polished - not sure what to do???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm in the same boat - maybe moving out after 3 years this coming March.
    As far as I am concerned the following (in my apt) is acceptable wera & tear:

Fake leather type sofa - one seat, the surface has 'cracked as has one arm of it)
    Blinds on main balcony door were never fitted properly so now don't properly open/close
    A door on a cheapo wardrobe in spare room fell off
    A wall or two have scratches, small marks (this is inevitable)
    Floorboards near kitchen part, one or two have warped due to a leak under sink (which was the only time I've ever bothered the landlord in 3 years)

Now, I have managed to break one lamp and a picture frame so I will replace those but the above is acceptable wear and tear, especially after three years.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

we had two really old tall boys (presses) they weren't in great nick when we got them - the doors have fallen of and there in bits to be honest - are we to replace them?

I really want to get my full deposit back - it would help towards my new place

is there a standard or website with info?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is no definition, no standard, no website. It is what a reaosnable person whould expect.

One of our windows is damaged because the timber is rotten - not out fault, therefore reasonable.

The wall behind my bedroom door is marked, because there is no door stop - some damage is to be expected, therefore reasonable. However, if I forced the door handle through the plasterboard, that would be too much and unacceptable.

The plaster in the hall is damaged by a leak - not our fault, therefore reasonable.

Some marks or stains on carpets are understandable after 3 years. However a large number of cigarette burns and wine stains wouldn't, expecially in conspicuous areas.

You must however, leave the property tidy and clean. Remove all rubbish and clean all surfaces. You do not normally have to repaint. However, if you were drawing on the walls, you might have too. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

delah wrote:
    Fake leather type sofa - one seat, the surface has 'cracked as has one arm of it)
    Blinds on main balcony door were never fitted properly so now don't properly open/close
    A door on a cheapo wardrobe in spare room fell off
    A wall or two have scratches, small marks (this is inevitable)
    Floorboards near kitchen part, one or two have warped due to a leak under sink (which was the only time I've ever bothered the landlord in 3 years)

Now, I have managed to break one lamp and a picture frame so I will replace those but the above is acceptable wear and tear, especially after three years.

HTH

To be perfectly honest- regardless of whether the sofa was faux leather or genuine cowhide- if you've broken an arm off it- it could not reasonably be considered to be normal wear and tear.

The blinds on the main balcony door sound like something that you could easily repair yourself- unless they are physically broken- ditto the door on the wardrobe (a spare pair of hinges are less than a tenner, and its not rocket science rehanging the door).

A few scuffs and marks on walls would be pretty much par for the course- and if the leak under the sink was not due to neglect on your part (improbable) then I don't really see how you could be held liable for the warped floor.

I definitely would not consider the arm broken off the couch as acceptable wear and tear though- irrespective of whether it was genuine leather or whatever. Be prepared to have a deduction from your deposit on account of this.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

smccarrick wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest- regardless of whether the sofa was faux leather or genuine cowhide- if you've broken an arm off it- it could not reasonably be considered to be normal wear and tear.

The blinds on the main balcony door sound like something that you could easily repair yourself- unless they are physically broken- ditto the door on the wardrobe (a spare pair of hinges are less than a tenner, and its not rocket science rehanging the door).

A few scuffs and marks on walls would be pretty much par for the course- and if the leak under the sink was not due to neglect on your part (improbable) then I don't really see how you could be held liable for the warped floor.

I definitely would not consider the arm broken off the couch as acceptable wear and tear though- irrespective of whether it was genuine leather or whatever. Be prepared to have a deduction from your deposit on account of this.

S.

Not broken at all, just the covering is 'cracked' if you know what I mean. I didn't explain that well at all.
    Leak was due to loose whatever under kitchen sink but unfortunately the drip drip effect for however long did some damage to a few floorboards.
    The wardrobe door of course can be fixed by me (I didn't break it - it just 'fell' off!)
    The blind rail was affixed too close to the wondows/wall as explained by landlord before i moved in - it doesn't bother me at all and doesn't look broken or 'bad' in anyway.

I'm expecting full deposit return!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would put two provisos on this:

1. Was the arm of suitable design and construction? I once broke a bed because there was a knot in one of the pieces of timber across the top of the base - thats defective workmanship.
    2. How long before it broke? I broke a metal framed chair today :( (rust around the weld between the seat and legs) - it was there long before I moved in about 4 years ago. Things eventually do break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 someuser90

should i replace light bulbs?

someuser90 wrote:
    should i replace light bulbs?

Only if they're blown. You should have been doing this on an ongoing basis though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 someuser90

Only if they're blown. You should have been doing this on an ongoing basis though?

yea blown, no i didnt bother replacing them. they only lasted about 9 months. those led spot lights are about €5 each, hmmm nothing in the lease about them

someuser90 wrote:
    yea blown, no i didnt bother replacing them. they only lasted about 9 months. those led spot lights are about €5 each, hmmm nothing in the lease about them

The norm is that you replace like with like, when replacing things- irrespective of what is or is not stated in your lease. If your landlord likes those LED spotlights- you're sorted. If not- you could find a couple of Euro being needlessly deducted for crabby bog standard light bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Victor wrote: »
    I would put two provisos on this:

1. Was the arm of suitable design and construction? I once broke a bed because there was a knot in one of the pieces of timber across the top of the base - thats defective workmanship.
    2. How long before it broke? I broke a metal framed chair today :( (rust around the weld between the seat and legs) - it was there long before I moved in about 4 years ago. Things eventually do break.

I think I know what he is talking about. Some kinds of cheap fake leather chairs fall apart after normal use in a very short period of time. The 'upholstry' cracks from the accumulative movements of someone getting up and sitting down, stretching and tearing the plastic.

My brother had furniture like that and it was appalling how poor quality it was.

Advertisement