Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticker price

Options
  • 24-12-2007 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Here goes...
    Was in a well know toy franchise yesterday, and was looking at some lego for my son.
    The price label has 2 prices on it. One = EUR39.99 which is over the name of the retailer on the sticker, so was harder to see. One directly below it with a price of EUR55.99. i.e. 1 price sticker, 2 prices printed on it.
    The box also had a big lego label with 20% off.
    Now I know that 20% of EUR56 would not bring it down to EUR40, but it was not far off it.

All the same pieces of lego have identical stickers, laid out the same way.
    Anyhow at the tills, manager advises price was EUR55.99, and that included the 20% off. Refused to acknowledge the EUR39.99 price.

Anyhow I thought it was overpriced at EUR55.99 (hence why they had so many pieces left, while most otehr ranges were sold out), so I left.
    But I did think it was bad form with the labelling, and was wondering if anyone had come across a situation re 1 price label, 2 prices, and if so, what happened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

if they have a head office ring it straight away before they close for christmas and ask to speak to someone in charge and tell them exactly what happened. in my opinion that false adverstising or what ever it's called. keeps the receipts and the sticker if possible in case they ask for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Technically there's no comeback really. If prices are wrong on the label it's the till price that counts. Difference between invitation to treat and contract. However, if they are consistently doing it the CAI may be interested and they could get grief over it. Similar things have happened in supermarkets. Which is why they will always charge the shelf price if an error is pointed out.

tbh tho' most places wouldn't argue the point and would acknowledge their mistake and give it for the lower price. I had one recently in the Early Learning Centre where the till price for two items was higher than the sticker price - when I pointed it out they gave them to me for the sticker price. No argument - they even apologised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

This happens quite a lot in the toy trade as suppliers will often provide offers to retailers. Also at Christmas it is as busy as hell so things don't go as smoothly as you'd like them to go. .

Simplest thing is to ask someone which is the correct price, you find in most cases the retailer will be happy to correct the error. - In the case of most toys prices, each shop is trying match the competitor so prices will be much the same everywhere so if lego set a is 39.99 in Smyths, you'll find its about the same in Byrnes & Toymaster.

You also have a more sinister reason for having 2 stiockers on a box and that is some shoppers purposely placing incorrect price labels from other products onto more expensive products (happens more often than you think!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

QUOTE FROM Rashers 72
    "All the same pieces of lego have identical stickers, laid out the same way.
    Anyhow at the tills, manager advises price was EUR55.99, and that included the 20% off. Refused to acknowledge the EUR39.99 price."

in this case it would be some staff member thats done this rather than a consumer. personally i always check the prices on the same items to make sure it's not an error ro someone member of the public has interfered. nowadays most price stickers are in 3 tiny sections in case somebody tries to switch prices, these are found in your local shops mostly.

rashers if you take action of any form please let us know how you get on.

QUOTE FROM Macros42
    "Technically there's no comeback really. If prices are wrong on the label it's the till price that counts. Difference between invitation to treat and contract"

I know superquinn have a policy or at least they used to up until recently where by if the price of an item at a till was different to the price marked in the store you got your money back on that item( basically you got it free). i can vouch for this because it happened to me when i bought 3 of the same item. it was different price at till and asked about it but was told the offer was gone and wouldn't honor their agrement but they had still advertised it at the time.i rang their head office and within a couple of days i was refunded the full price for the 3 items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

mcaul wrote: »
    You also have a more sinister reason for having 2 stiockers on a box and that is some shoppers purposely placing incorrect price labels from other products onto more expensive products (happens more often than you think!!).

Why the hell would someone do that?:confused:

In a situation like the OP mentioned the retailer will probably give you the lower price and then immediately fix the problem with the stickers so people dont' start taking advantage.
    It's happened me a few times.
    Game sells computer games and there are 1 week only specials all the time. So you often find a special offer sticker and the normal sticker. The special offer price only lasts one week.
    It can and often gets messy

• Advertisement
Advertisement