Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned From Mobile forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Stop Spamming MY thread lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Myth wrote: »
    Buy VPXL now!
    I'll take all you have left!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Stop Spamming MY thread lol

Sorry man... :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Talk about going off-topic..

OP: Iv put a request in on the Moderators Forum for the Mobile Mods to respond. As has been said, the reason for the delay is more then likely the season that it is. Im sure it will be dealt with soon. Please be patient :)

Cheers.

Thanks very much Sully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

PowerHouseDan, you were banned by me for blatant advertising, which is strictly against the rules of the forum (and pretty much every forum on Boards). It was ultimately a pretty much open and shut case.

As for having the ban lifted, this typically does not happen for such infractions and as such I have no intention of doing so, however I personally have no objection if it were lifted by one of the Admins.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I can't see how this situation has arisen at all, and I'm baffled by it. PHD is a very positive contributor to the Forum, and has been a stalwart in answering people's questions. He should have been PM'd first, and warned rather than banned. It's not as if he's someone with 1 post coming in freeloading looking to make a quick buck. And I'd guarantee, judging by his character in his posts, that if you had asked, rather than ban, he'd have cheerfully agreed to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

ned78 wrote: »
    I can't see how this situation has arisen at all, and I'm baffled by it. PHD is a very positive contributor to the Forum, and has been a stalwart in answering people's questions. He should have been PM'd first, and warned rather than banned. It's not as if he's someone with 1 post coming in freeloading looking to make a quick buck. And I'd guarantee, judging by his character in his posts, that if you had asked, rather than ban, he'd have cheerfully agreed to stop.

this seems like words of wisdom. But, it's 'your' forum. Seems a shame to lose a good contributor to a forum though.

Fair Enough.I'd be lying if i said i wasn't dissappointed with your decision

PowerHouseDan, you were banned by me for blatant advertising, which is strictly against the rules of the forum (and pretty much every forum on Boards). It was ultimately a pretty much open and shut case.

As for having the ban lifted, this typically does not happen for such infractions and as such I have no intention of doing so, however I personally have no objection if it were lifted by one of the Admins.

Would be very greatful if someone could help me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

ned78 wrote: »
    :(:(:mad::eek:

I fully agree, powerhousedan was very important for the forum and I find it outrageous he wasn't given a warning first. He has thousands of posts, all of which were helpful and constructive for the thread they were posted in and that's why i'm shocked that he was banned so quickly without second thought.
    How do we encourage the admins to un-ban him? I really cannot emphasise enough how much I disagree with the mods decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well the thousands of posts argument won't wash with the admins from experience. If he had that many posts then he was well aware of his actions or at least should have been. He probably pissed off the mod in question with his little foot tapping routine. Best advice would be to revisit this in the new year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rc28 wrote: »

I fully agree, powerhousedan was very important for the forum and I find it outrageous he wasn't given a warning first. He has thousands of posts, all of which were helpful and constructive for the thread they were posted in and that's why i'm shocked that he was banned so quickly without second thought.
    How do we encourage the admins to un-ban him? I really cannot emphasise enough how much I disagree with the mods decision.

It doesn't matter how helpful he is or how many posts he has. He broke the rules, he got banned. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Anyone know when powerhousedan's ban is going to be lifted? we're missing him over in the iphone thread!

tw0nk wrote: »
    Anyone know when powerhousedan's ban is going to be lifted? we're missing him over in the iphone thread!

The mod has said he's not inclined to lift it.

Just shows when you need help from boards it aint there.I'd like to say Thanks to the people who have stood up for me its kind of ye all just sorry i cant be of help anymore. And yeah i was advertising but really i was trying to give Boards user a discount price over the advertised price so if i get banned trying to help then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

To be entirely fair, in Dan's situation, it's clear he's not a spammer, and I think he should be unbanned. Let the current ban be a warning, but he's been nothing but polite here, and I don't really see the need to keep him banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

To be entirely fair, in Dan's situation, it's clear he's not a spammer, and I think he should be unbanned. Let the current ban be a warning, but he's been nothing but polite here, and I don't really see the need to keep him banned.

I agree with that. A warning would have been all that was necessary, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Cameraman1

please let powerhousesan back. Heis so helpful and im sure he didn't mean any harm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The mod who issued the ban has not been online and the other mods would prefer he made the decission. Boston, can you quote where he said he wont lift the ban?

OP: Its not over just yet.

• Advertisement

Here yea go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Cameraman1

please let powerhousesan back. Heis so helpful and im sure he didn't mean any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I agree PHD should be allowed back it is clear that he was helping people long before he got involved in selling and i'm sure that he would have been directing people to the sale of stealthsims whetrr he was involved of not just to let people know where they could get them.

PHD is obviously not a spammer he did not join here to further his business a simple warning to a member of such long standing should have sufficed

Boston wrote: »
    Here yea go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 YsgynMurrion

rc28 wrote: »

I would like to see him back too.... I am a newish member but in the short time reading the iphone thread, it seems that PHD is the most helpful person there. I am amazed at the "no intention of doing so" comment. Even Murders get parole :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭qork

Un Ban Him, End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Seems a little harsh considering that PHD spent a crazy amount of his time helping out iPhone users (for no commercial return) that a mod wouldn't spend the tiny amount of time to warn before banning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I've unbanned you for now.

Let the Corinthian decide when he returns, but you're ok for now.

Thanks Pythia means alot.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Pythia wrote: »
    I've unbanned you for now.

Let the Corinthian decide when he returns, but you're ok for now.
    Good call IMO.

A users past contribution and potential helpfulness in future threads should always be taken into account when a ban is being considered. The OP made what appeared to be a genuine mistake, acknowledged that and offered to address the problem and that shows a bit of commitment on his behalf.

I would have thought that given his stats and contributions to the forum he could have at least been informed of the length of the ban by PM which was a point discussed in the mods forum not that long ago.

Anyhow its not my watch and Im merely offering an opinion and I am certainly not trying to influence or be critical of another forum's mods - they know best how to look after their own patch.

Advertisement